Now there's an idea, taxing the catholic church

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:54 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/financially-troubled-cities-in-spain-consider-taxing-church-properties/2012/09/13/3b62c736-f842-11e1-8398-0327ab83ab91_story.html?hpid=z1

My first thought is, perhaps a tad late.

Still, it's an adventurous idea in its way.

I'd like to hear reasoned arguments on all this. My very religious catholic mother was strongly for parochial schools not being taxed, so I have some guttural understanding of that view.

At the same time, my skeptic (at the least) older self sees all sorts of ninnies making hay on the non-tax of religion mode, for past years and years.
That points to the heart of the question, should religious institutions of any sort be taxed. They seem to me like Scamamerica, but I'm probably not getting why they shouldn't be. My question is more than about the U.S. - how does it work elsewhere?

'splain, as Ricky Ricardo would say.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,720 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Atom Blitzer

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Those of who are unfortunate and in circumstances of poverty who rely on local churches for assistance would be disadvantaged if the Church was made to pay property taxes.

Furthermore...

Walz v. Tax Commission of the City of New York (1970), "freedom from taxation for two centuries has not led to an established church or religion, and, on the contrary, has helped to guarantee the free exercise of all forms of religious belief."
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:36 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
I'll think about that, and not saying it sarcastically. I post without my mind made up.

I'm not very clear on why that non taxation hasn't led to some Rule of Church (or has it?) counts as an argument that church property shouldn't be taxed.
I don't get that in the first place, the non taxation. Obviously I am not up on my separation of church and state arguments.

I'll try to be quiet for a while and see what the rest of us say.

Atom Blitzer

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't exactly know the numbers but Churches around the world as a whole is pretty top on the list for being one of the largest provider of social services not taking into account the government.
So if a tax in some ways starts to close down charities, it will open a big can of problems.

The Church where I went to or made to go when I was younger was hit pretty bad in the recession. Yet they never cut back on their charities and service hours. So in a way they do services cheaper and better than other nonprofits in the community. That church is grinding along with the help of a few wealthy donors.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 10:12 pm
@Atom Blitzer,
I would be low on some list of those who do not know about churches' social services.
I admire how some churches don't care if you are a parishioner. I'm also chary about some (not all) of that.
I once considered being a missionary. (That was short lived)

I'll try to be quiet, as this thread isn't so much about me.

0 Replies