21 ways rich people think differently

Thomas

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 03:38 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Discuss.....

My first impression of the article is that it's a grab bag of superficial stereotypes. They remind me of statements like "Black people got rhythm and talk articulately", "Jews are good with money", "Capricorns are hard-working, loyal family people, though slighly boring", and so forth. Maybe I would find the claims in the article more persuasive if they had come with evidence to back them up. But they did not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 07:28 pm
@Linkat,
Some very enjoyable basketball occurs (or did when I lived there) at Venice Beach basketball courts. I particularly enjoyed the under 6' ft games; often the point guard was a woman who was very good at that, usually the rest were men.
Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:59 am
@ossobuco,
I think it is because the point guard needs to be smart as well - they need to think on their feet and be quick about - probably why it was a woman!
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:12 pm
absolute bullshit in my middle class, humble opinion. Most rich people were born into it. This is just a bunch of rhetoric and stereotypes that allow rich people to pretend that somehow they deserve to be rich because they are better people. Some did earn it and some are willing to give vast wealth back, others are just arrogant pricks. Just like the rest of us.

The people I respect were like my father, who came out of poverty and worked his way into middle class which allowed me to attend college and obtain the life style I have. Many fathers did that in his generation and the opportunities were there. His mother took him and 5 of his brothers and sisters to the county home in the 30's because his father died and she could not afford to raise them. He left school in the 8th grade to join the Navy. Even so he was a very intelligent man.

I don't begrudge the wealthy their wealth. But don't try to tell me it's because somehow they are better people.
Pearlylustre

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 09:13 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
World's richest woman Gina Rinehart is enduring a media firestorm over an article in which she takes the "jealous" middle class to task for "drinking, or smoking and socializing" rather than working to earn their own fortune.

Gina Rinehart didn't work to earn her fortune either. She inherited it from her father Lang Hancock.
0 Replies

Matt1172

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 10:47 pm
@IRFRANK,
I never graduated high school. I never had parents around to teach me anything. I have worked for the last 18 years and I now earn several hundred thousand per year which I put 90% back into Idea's and new ventures trying to find things that will hit. My entire life has been filled with the obsession of making something big happen. Its not so much for the money it's about the goal. When I was reading this article I think like 95% of what was written. The one thing I can tell you is making money is the hardest thing you can do in this life and once you have some everyone will try to take it from you. This is the reason most rich people are greedy. Or a better word here would be guarded. I can tell you this. I have never thought about retirement or saving money I just think about ways to make enough money that I don't have to worry about it.
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 11:36 am
@Matt1172,
Quote:
I just think about ways to make enough money that I don't have to worry about it.

If you make several hundred thousand a year, you should have that much in short order. I do respect your work. I have worked for independent business men and I saw first hand how hard they worked and earned every penny.

My problem with this article is that it is almost completely about what is wrong with other people, not what is right about anyone else. Self righteousness is not a virtue.

0 Replies