Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:24 pm
My question is. If i have raised my Girlfriend's ( or common law wife) child for the last five years as my own do i have an right as far as visitation to partial custody go. I moved them into my home and supported them. Now we have split up I want to know if I can take it to court so I get at least visitation. Anyone with any knowledge on this topic I would be very grateful if you could share.
Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:26 pm
if you were not a legal gaurdian, you most likely have no leg to stand on.

step parenting can have painful repercussions...
Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:33 pm
and common law marriage isn't acknowledged in Michigan so I think i'm pretty much screwed
Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2012 09:50 pm
No the kid is screw, if a father figure is being taken away from him/her.

Suggest you see it whatever fences with your ex-love that had been broken can be mended at least to the point she can see the benefits of having someone who have such a relationship with her child still being in that child life.
0 Replies
Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 06:44 am
Most states acknowledge de facto parents -- a person who has a long standing relationship with the child who as taken on the role of a parent. Unfortunately, Michigan isn't one of those states.

The good news is that Michigan is a battleground state for de facto parenting rights, and the laws are being tested. The people at the forefront of the fight are the LGBT community.

Look for an attorney who specializes in family law and who has the endorsement of the LGBT community. Set up a consultation and see if they think you have a chance.

Be aware that along with visitation you'd be on the hook for child support if you're declared a de facto parent.
0 Replies

Related Topics

  1. Forums
  2. » custody
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 06/04/2023 at 05:39:11