What goes between coats of oils of a work in progress?

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:45 pm
What do you use, homemade or store bought, between coats of oil paint when working on a painting, say from day to day? What do you use when you go back to an oil painting in progress, say in a day or two, so the new paint adheres properly?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 4
No top replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 06:29 pm
The rule "Fat over lean" applies.......
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 07:06 pm
you don't have to re-coat oil paint because it takes months to dry fully (without the use of a drying agent.) It may feel dry but it really isn't until it's been sitting for a long time. So, you just treat it like you normally would, remembering to be fat over lean (use more galkyd/oil in top layers than you would in bottom layers to prevent cracking)
0 Replies

desertartist

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 03:45 pm
Some artists use a light coat of retouch varnish when they go back into a painting that has been sitting for a few days. It brings up the surface sheen of the drying paint to more closely match that of the new paint being applied. As far as I know this is strictly for the purpose of being able to better visually judge how well the new paint is matching the old.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2004 04:25 pm
I'll do that if it's been sitting for a couple months and is no longer as absorbent.

Note: it is important that you use RETOUCH VARNISH (as mentioned) because you can't paint over normal varnish.
0 Replies