what dance do you prefer?

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:28 am
Hi I am a new member to all this but i also want some opinions! I would like to know what kind of dance you would like to see or like to do?? Like ballet or hip-hop or jazz or whatever you can think of! Also what kind do you not approve of?? Thanks

Ballet Freak
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,978 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:18 pm
I love ballet too. It is so graceful and elegant.

By the way, Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:29 pm
I'm a great fan of the choreography of Mark Morris, Danny Grossman, Robert Desrosiers, Ginette Laurin and Bill Jones/Arnie Zane. I'm also very interested in the work of earlier choreographers such as Lully. I'm a follower of the work of Jeanette Zingg in the recreation of baroque dance and ballet. Fascinating to see the precursors of the more modern choreographers.

Right now, I'd pay/do just about anything to see Mark Morris and his company again.
0 Replies

ballet freak

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:11 pm
I thank all of you who have answered in and i appericate all of the votes so just keep polling in cause i want to know what is the most requested kind of dance! Personally i love both jazz and ballet I am point dancer right now! and so i just want to see all of your opions! thanks

Ballet Freak
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:15 pm
I watch and can dance. . . Tango. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:16 pm
Twist.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:33 pm
My favorites as a performer are Horton and Dunham.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:34 pm
I also love Jazz Tap, as a performer.
0 Replies

Cioccolato

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 08:33 pm
I treasure ballet. My love-hate relationship with it has turned into a weird friendship.

I used to be a flamboyant Middle Eastern dancer but I've long since (in proportion with my brief 16-year span on earth) ditched that. All I ever did was end up paying hundreds of dollars for costumes that I'd only wear once and getting into fights with my Armenian friends about learning Turkish dances (typical Genocide drama).

I want to go back someday. I think. I was good at that.

I still dance Armenian though, and I probably will not ever stop as long as I have my Armenian brothers and sisters. They govern my dance life. They've turned me into the danseuse that I've wanted to be whether I like it or not. And I do happen to like it.

Anyway...I don't care for modern dance. I can't really explain why. I don't like Irish dancing. It's impressive but it just bothers me. And I don't like hip-hop or anything like that.

I like traditional stuff.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:09 am
Modern?

How do you like the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre? I love it...
0 Replies

Cioccolato

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:19 am
Actually yeah, Alvin Ailey is great.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 05:30 am
Cioccolato wrote:
Actually yeah, Alvin Ailey is great.

That's a style of modern dance called "Horton Technique" or "Horton Style".

Another form of modern dance is called "Dunham Technique". This is basically Afro-Haitian dance, performed with lots and lots of drums.
(Very aerobic to say the least!). Very Happy
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:46 pm
Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" is my favorite ballet. I don't get much of a chance to see that or any other ballet though, except for "The Nutcracker." There's very little ballet on TV.

There was a ballet movie recently that I missed, and I can't remember the name of it.
0 Replies

Cioccolato

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:30 pm
My ballet school offers "Contemporary" classes that use the Horton technique...I don't take any of those classes, but to see in performance is nice. Just not my practice :wink:

I don't really ever watch TV, but I would if there would be more ballet on it. I resorted to renting ballet DVDs at the library. I found Kirov's Sleeping Beauty, the Royal Ballet's Swan Lake, and a Nutcracker one from somewhere even though I see it every year anyway.

Really not much but it's a nice fix when you're lacking and don't want to spend money. Actually we just had Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet in town, but I missed it. Boo, hiss Sad
0 Replies

doris4cecil

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
Hey i would have to say that i don't have any specific favourite types of dance.
I have done Jazz Ballet and also street dancing, but i think that dance in itself is the most beautiful thing. It is so expressive and passionate and deep.
I love all types of dance and i love dance shows and performances they just move me.

Hey everyone by the way im also new to this forum so hello Very Happy
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 07:25 pm
One of my greatest memories is Judith Jamison dancing her solo "Cry".
I will never forget that evening.
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:24 am
Re: the Horton technique - Alvin Ailey is a beautiful example of that dance persuasion - love it!

My favourite style of dance has been modern jazz and my inspiration has been the late Bob Fosse - his non-traditional style of body using space and the sensuality of form that has been Fosse's trademark, has always struck a chord with me. After I saw "Cabaret" I knew I wanted to study jazz dance and did so for a number of years.

Recently, I've reconnected with tap (my first discipline)- Jimmy Slyde, the late Gregory Hines ( I could watch him for hours - his moves were like velvet on silk), and Savion Glover are some of my inspirations.
0 Replies

maddy42

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:57 pm
I love ballet. I do ballet and I am still starstruck by yesterday, when I saw and met Darcey Bussell, I jus wrote a topic on it hehe check it out if you would like, its just me being excited! I am gonna be in Cinderella in march just a little local thing with my school of dance, but I can't wait! We did the Nutcracker about 2 years ago and it was soooo fun.
0 Replies

rmrrose820

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 11:15 pm
I love to watch and dance ballet, but swing dance is my newest passion. There is a grace in ballet that sets it apart, but there is such an energy and relaxed nature with swing dance!
0 Replies

ariesdancer

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 08:45 pm
i love modern, but i have a question
Hello everybody im new to the site, and im not able to post my own questions yet.
I love to dance, ive always wanted to dance professionally.
when i was 15, i asked to dance, and my father hit that idea out of my head.At the age of 18 , i enrolled myself into a dance school, but quickly dropped out, when my father found out and ridiculed me for it.

I am now age 22, and today i got an offer to study ballet In pennsylvania at a ballet conservatory. They are in need of males so they are willing to give me a full scholarship if i am serious about training.
I dont have any training, and i am afraid of looking stupid, but i figure that with four classes each day from mon to fri, and then 7 classes on saturday, with the option of classes on sunday.. i will have a good chance of picking up the art in no time.

This is a miracle that i have gotten this offer, ive always wanted to do this..My goal is modern and jazz at alvin ailey, but ballet will be a strong foundation for me..

what do u guys think???
should i go, which i am or do u think its a waste of time.
0 Replies