How old was the Virgin Mary when she gave birth to Jesus?

favor

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 05:55 pm
@steissd,
I am so glad that someone had he knowledge to be able to respond with a more respect for God .
0 Replies

jer-jer

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 12:40 am
@mikey,
It wasnt. Theologians changed the word maiden to virgin to fit their interpretation. Mary was married to Joseph 3 months before Gabriel visited her. There was no Immaculate Conception---Sorry Cathos. The truth is the light.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 03:11 pm
@jer-jer,
Quote:
Mary was married to Joseph 3 months before Gabriel visited her.

Please cite the source of this information (the marriage time frame, not the angel visit).
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 04:39 pm
Was Jesus not the illegitimate son of a Roman soldier named Panthera? and how old was joseph? he disappears quickly from the books of the bible...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:27 am
@jer-jer,
jer-jer wrote:

It wasnt. Theologians changed the word maiden to virgin to fit their interpretation. Mary was married to Joseph 3 months before Gabriel visited her. There was no Immaculate Conception---Sorry Cathos. The truth is the light.
I don't know where you get your information from but the bible says she was pregnant BEFORE they were married.

Matthew 1:18-21:

18This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. 19Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.

20But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

jenbel

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 04:53 pm
@MacEarl,
that's awfully funny because Genesis 24:53 says, "And the servant brought forth jewels of silver, and jewels of gold, and raiment, and gave them to Rebekah: he gave also to her brother and to her mother precious things." Sounds to me like you need to get what they call a Holy Bible not the book on rapests!!!!!
0 Replies

jenbel

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 04:57 pm
@Arella Mae,
Thank you! Somone that actually reads the Bible and DOES NOT twist it all around!!!!
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:05 pm
@Piffka,
No, he was 33 1/2 when he died in the spring, so he was born in the fall, around the middle of Sep to about the 1st of Oct.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:57 pm
@Enaj,
Please cite your source material for such a statement.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 12:06 pm
International Standard Bible Encyclopdia. Talk: Jesus/Dates of Birth and Death, on Wikipedia.

I was giving the time of year that it is believed that he mostly likely was born, and died. The actual dates and year are not known for sure.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 02:59 pm
@Enaj,
'Source material or primary source is actual first hand documentation aka evidence. Your information is basically someone throwing together some ideas that might or might not be original to fluff up a thin story. "Likely" doesn't cut it if you want to state facts. I could say Jesus was born on the 4th of July and died when he was 42, it would have the same basis in "fact" as saying what you did. In other words, your faith tells you this is true, reality has nothing to do with it. Sort of like believing in leprechauns or the City of Atlantis. Your original statement has more to do with myth and legend than history. I'm sorry if I sound mean, but I'm tired of people throwing around so called "facts" without even questioning or researching them on a historical scale.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 03:07 pm
@jer-jer,
jer-jer wrote:

That is not what the Bible says. Matthew 1:

18Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

19Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.

20But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

22Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

This is the second time I have posted this. Sorry!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 03:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
AM, Myths about virgin births began very early in human history. Even Egypt had myths about virgin births 3,000 years before the time of "Jesus."

From Wiki.
Quote:
Many texts mention different attributes of Isis. These were combined into a single narrative by Plutarch in the 1st century AD. In her aspect of protector of Egypt and its people, Isis is depicted with huge outspread wings. She taught women to grind corn, to spin and to weave, and she taught the people how to cure illnesses. She instituted the rite of marriage. When her consort, Osiris, left Egypt to travel the world, Isis ruled the country in his absence. "The hieroglyph for her name is the image of a throne, and her lap came to be seen as the throne of Egypt. Because of her fame Isis eventually absorbed the qualities of almost all the other goddesses; "she was a great mother goddess, a bird goddess, a goddess of the underworld who brought life to the dead, and a goddess of the primeval waters...Her following spread beyond Egypt to Greece and throughout the Roman Empire...(lasting) from before 3000 BC until well into Christian times.[46]
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 11:04 am
@Green Witch,
And I suppose you research everything on a historical scale? I doubt it. I think you need to chill out. Do we have to pass everything we say by you for approval before posting it? I have read a lot here (and on other sites) that appears to be unproven facts stated by others. It's their views, opinions, and understanding of what they think, and is usually presented as a statement.
You will now be ignored.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 11:33 am
@Enaj,
We also don't know the exact date when Santa Clause was born.
0 Replies

Enaj

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 03:01 pm
Yep, I certainly agree with that.

Nobody really knows the age of Mary when Jesus was born, but it is still a topic here with posters views, without historical facts to back up their view, which is fine by me, we are here to share our thoughts on this, among other subjects.
0 Replies

CherishBloom

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 05:19 am
@Piffka,
As recently as the 1600s, being unmarried by 14 was akin to 'death' for girls. Mary could easily have been around 10 at the time of conception/betrothal. There is little verifiable information on this, however, other than what is statistically available but quite often girls as young as 8 or 9 have been known to get married in those days.

It had a lot to do with high infant mortality rates.

Men, on the other hand, didn't often marry until their mid-twenties, by which time they would have learned a trade with which they could support a family.

EDIT: Two additional points that I feel need to be added.

1. Jesus did not NEED to be born of a virgin, but such a birth would be seen as a sign. The concept of original sin (or the avoidance of such) tends to work out like a snake eating its own tail and fails when placed under logical scrutiny.

2. It is very unlikely that Mary remained a virgin after the birth of Jesus, and it is suggested that Jesus had other siblings, one of which is mentioned in the Bible. Joseph, by right, was entitled to fathering children and would probably have taken Mary to bed just a few months after the birth of Jesus.
0 Replies

Pogi

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 07:34 am
@Bibliophile the BibleGuru,
Mary did not have sex when she was carrying Jesus. Hence, the "Virgin" Immaculate Mother. I guess you should read the bible more instead of being "impressed" to others and find the answer to your basic questions.
0 Replies

GRAHAM-loves

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2011 03:32 am
not true for one; Joseph would have had a wife with in those 40 years and he would have had other children and the Bible gives no mention to this. Jesus was the first born air of the throne of his father David from his line. 'Father' as in..the way of... line of..or line to... like the way death is talked about in the Bible 'he rested with his fathers'.. Jesus was the first born of all his 7 brothers. Then secondly Mary would have been older for it say in the Bible she was highly esteemed (Luke 1:28) which comes with age. Plus they had to travail far and escape to Egypt and then back to there country to settle in Nazareth, a 12 or 13 year old girl could not make such a journey pregnant. Plus according to Jewish customs; a arranged marriage would be done at a very young age by both sides of the parents. The arrangements are that they could not see each other till they were of age. Plus like the parable Jesus told; the bride had to wait for the bride groom to come back for her (Jesus used common theme of the age). Plus to top it all off it says in the Bible; Joseph was a up-right man or a righteous man..... that is why he was going to divorce her quietly and did not want to expose her to public disgrace (Matthew 1:19) . The apocryphal writing is not a divinely inspired text and was not included in the canonization of the Bible. Many texts say many things even that Jesus got married, which would be not something he would do considering we were created by him (John 1:3) and that woman was created for man in the garden of Eden... Not woman for God haha. Plus I think God can do better than sinful man considering if God was looking for a mate.. we compare are women to Angels.. "Hun you look as pretty as an Angel".. We are so vain.. All this stuff is talk I believe has to do with mix greek mythology in later texts ""Hence not being the inspired word of God"".There are dead sea scrolls allot of this goofy story's do not Believe them. Believe in Jesus and the inspired word of Jesus in the Bible He is my moral compass. Jesus is truth which many try to pollute and distort. "Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires (2 Peter 3:3).
@ *Bibliophile the BibleGuru* Are you using this as a cover for you own thoughts in dating under age girls. God dose not like this. If so Turn from your wicked ways.
And I Quote from you:
"How does this square up with various Christian teachings which frown upon girls marrying or having sex when they are under the age of sixteen, and with certain laws which could throw a man in jail if he had sex with a girl under the age of sixteen?" "If it was OK for Mary to conceive at an under 16 age (and with God's approval) then why not any girl who is under the age of 16?"

............---->It says that Jesus blessed all the little Children in the Bible. The prayer of Jesus probably went something like this: dear heavenly father protect all this little ones from all the wolves that like to pray on the young and innocent. It is pedophilia now and I'm sure it was then- for no word of the lord will ever change. The laws of God are written on the tablets of your heart. You know what's wrong for Gods convictions are clear. To anyone who thinks this way do not be a wolf. sin is sin!!
0 Replies

UnharmonicEchos

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 07:30 pm
I beleive Mary was around 14--but in that culture, a 14-year-old girl was a fully-trained adult woman, who knew everything from how to deliver her own children to cooking & taking care of her husband's house, make her own clothing, etc. A good wife was one who did everything she was taught to do, and didn't deviate greatly from the cultural guidelines--and that didn't make it a terrible way to live for women, especially ones who had loving husbands and were content in thier faith. Today's culture makes women independant and freer to act out our lives, but our 'push' in society is no greater than it was back then...we're simply greedier, more lost, and less content. Some 'modern' culture we are. Most of us can't even feed ourselves properly without a college course in nutrition.
0 Replies