DVD player on computer problems.(Answered)

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:12 pm
I just had a new DVD player installed on my computer - when it was already in hospital for something else.

Settled down last night - put the DVD in - Media Player said it did not have a decoder program for DVDs. I install a decoder program, as recommended by Windows.

Settle down again.

Media Player says, after looking at various DVDs thoughtfully for a time, that it has encountered an eror and has to close down. I dutifully (if fumingly) report error to Windows - buggered if we know what it is, says Windows - maybe reinstall. I do.

Settle down again (well, no I didn't - I PERCHED - pessimistically) - nope - same "I have to close down".

Any possible thing I can do, before I throw the computer at the people who installed the DVD thingy?

Media Player is working happily when asked to do other things....

Anyone popping in just to be funny or sympathetic is welcome...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,178 • Replies: 24
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:17 pm
MediaPlayer has several patches and ancillary codecs that need to be updated. As a first setup I'd go to Microsoft's WWW site and run the Windows Update routine and download/install any updated for MediaPlayer and then see what happens.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:22 pm
So just reinstalling the whole thing won't have included updates?

I reinstalled last night...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 02:27 pm
It would depend on what was actually re-installed. It only takes a few seconds to run the update scan and find out if you have the latest or not though!

Sorwy Bunny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:02 pm
Updated - no difference...waaaaaah!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:09 pm
There are mysteries a wise woman avoids encountering. Have you tried oil of lavender on your anguished brow?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:12 pm
Quote:
I just had a new DVD player installed on my computer - when it was already in hospital for something else.

Deb- If the DVD were installed professionally, doesn't the shop offer a guarantee? I'd throw it right back at them!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:06 pm
Hmmm.. Well poop on a stick. Should I mention here that I really, really hate Media Player?

Lemme do some checking there lil bunny one. I'll see what else I can come up with. Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:07 pm
Oh yes - I will. Thing is, I canna get to the smegging shop except on weekends - so I have wasted all the money I paid to rent the DVDS, cos I will have to take it in on Saturday, and I won't get it back for a week. Two aredue back on Saturday, and the rest on Thursday od next week. AND I will be sans computer for another week.

I hate computers and all those who work on them for money.

And - I woz all excited about seeing the films - and seeing a dvd.

never mind - new job will prolly take me mind off it...

Just thought someone might have been able to suggest a diagnostic test, or something....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:08 pm
Did I mention how pissed off I am????
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:27 pm
Bunnyface- I don't blame you. It is so aggravating to buy something, and find that it doesn't work! Mad
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:34 pm
Bunny, you weren't provided with any DVD playing software along with the DVD drive? I hate using Windows Media Player for DVDs -- often hasn't worked for me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 01:59 am
Ah? really? What does play 'em well, oh wise and wondrous Monger?????????????? (grovel grovel)

I am incensed about the software too! Words shall be had! Words have already been had!!!!!

Fishin' - you're a Mensch!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 08:42 am
Quote:
Ah? really? What does play 'em well, oh wise and wondrous Monger?????????????? (grovel grovel)

heh... what's with the tush smooching, deb? Laughing

Um, well, CyberLink PowerDVD and InterVideo WinDVD are the 2 best DVD player programs -- I highly recommend them both.
You can download the PowerDVD demo here, but it's got a 30 day, 30 min. playback limit.
WinDVD advertises a demo too, but it's got a mere 5 min. playback limit.

Cliprex DS DVD Player is free (it bundles adware though). I haven't tried it.

Media Player Classic is also free, but I'm not sure if it includes its own DVD decoder (it doesn't require installation though so you've got nothing to lose by trying it out). R DVD Player is another freebie--but I tried installing this one & on my system it gives an ocx error & refuses to run.

If you buy a DVD drive it should come with good DVD playback software, though. If the guys that installed it didn't provide software, you might be screwed. And as long as the drive can open DVDs it's working, whether you get it to play movies or not.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:02 am
Who DOESN'T have problems playing DVD on their computer?

The guys who installed DVD drive will blame it on DVD software, in your case it's Windows Media Player. Guys at MS will blame it on driver software and/or soundcard software. The sondcard software (please update your sound drivers!!) will blame it on some unrecognised media stream - which comes from decoder via Media player...

See, the truth is that unless you buy a computer complete with DVD playing software 'everything included' no one will be responsible. Even if you return the computer to the guys that installed the DVD drive hardware itself, they will say 'it's just a drive' and will demonstrate it can read DVD media by inserting a DVD with some software on it or some other material and show you that you can use it as you can a CD-ROM with software on it.
No one said you'll be actually able to play DVD movies. Unless of course you pay them to fix all the problems, in which case they will probably fix them as a service.

In my opinion it is best that you buy the WINDVD software player - BTW which version of Windows are you running? What sound card? Have you installed DirectX and DirectMedia (go MS..)? What about graphic card? Updated drivers?

Forget about Windows - they'll NEVER work - this is the principle behind M$ and their sales. And I do earn my living with computers.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 04:41 pm
Thanks guys! The WinDVD is working fine. Well, the trial version did - I am downloading the proper version as we speak.

Whoodathunk 'twould be so much damn trouble? Well, you folks did, it seems! Doh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:02 pm
I wuv you guys - it works perfectly!

You've made me a happy Bunny!

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:XFm3NGYyhO0J:www.boinger.com/320240.gif
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:07 pm
Cool, Deb. Very Happy

I'm quite overwhelmed with happiness myself

http://www.helixdmonster.com/pictures/helix_interviews_yb.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:03 am
Hmm - I am not sure that is happiness...but, let it pass...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 12:09 am
Monger - I think your new red-headed animation violates SOMETHING!
0 Replies