Odd Electrical Problem - Acura Integra

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:03 pm
We have a 1987 Acura Integra LS 5-speed. Some time ago, I noticed that the tachometer would sometimes drop to zero even while driving down the freeway. It still does this randomly. Then, two days ago, when I started the car the clock had reset and all the presets on the radio were gone. It does this every time I shut it off now.

The battery is new and everything works (except the tach) when the car is running.

What could cause this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,574 • Replies: 21
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:22 pm
It sounds like someting got disconnected. There should be a lead from the battery that remains energized at all times to provide the "stand by" power for the radio, clock, etc..

It sounds like you are getting the "switched" power through the ignition but not the standby power. Maybe check that line for a fuse???

I've had two cars where the Tachs did the same thing your's is doing. My old Subaru wagon and a my Chevy Astro van. In both cases the only solution was to replace the instrument cluster. Sad
moondoggy

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:01 pm

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:21 pm
Fishin is right about the radio/clock. There is a "constant" power supply that goes from the battery to the radio+clock, so they keep memory. There's something up with that.

Not sure about the tach, you'd probably have to replace the cluster.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 01:23 pm
Had the same problem, more or less, with an 89 dodge spriit. The odometer, tach, and cruise control would all fail simultaneously. The fix was to reposition the wire bundle where it made a sharp bend around the battery. You may also have an intermittant open circuit somewhere, CJ. My problems never included the clock or radio settings, but it's a thought.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:52 pm
Moondoggy, yes, it's a bit old, but it's paid for and only has 46,000 miles on it. Engine runs like a top (of course, it's a Honda).

Q: If you replace the instrument cluster, what do you do about the (mechanical) odometer?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Q: If you replace the instrument cluster, what do you do about the (mechanical) odometer?

In most states you are required to notify the Dept. of Motor Vehicle that you replaced the odometer and tell them what the mileage on the old one was when it was replaced. They make a note of it in the computer system on your registration...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:32 pm
Well, I'm not going to replace the cluster unless something else breaks (like the speedometer). I can drive it just fine without the tach.

But thanks for the info.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:47 pm
Slappy probably goofed it up when he rolled the odometer back to 46,000.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:50 pm
Sorry Bill, bought it new. Don't forget, Slappy is a USED car salesman. Wink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 04:54 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Slappy probably goofed it up when he rolled the odometer back to 46,000.

LOL...

Am in agreement w/ the others, cj; you got two different problems there.

It's a minor wiring/power issue with both and it could be easy and inexpensive to fix them, or it could be the opposite.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 05:16 pm
When you replace the cluster, whoever does it(it usually has to be an authorized place) will either enter the correct mileage into the new cluster, or put a "odometer change" sticker inside the driver's door jam noting the mileage at the time of change, and the new cluster starts from zero.

Bill, I've never rolled an odometer back, but if anyone needs to find out how to STOP the odometer from registering miles on an E36 BMW, let me know....not, uh, like I've ever done that. I really did only drive 7K miles in a year and a half.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:05 am
i spose going in reverse is out of the question
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
Ah, moondoggy revives a long lost thread. To update everyone, my wife was rear ended at an intersection while making a left turn, by a woman who was probably talking on her cell phone. The damage was estimated at $3300, and the car was appraised at $3100 (fairly high because of very low 47K miles). We took the settlement. Car is gone. Wife wasn't hurt.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 12:39 pm
get anything for the wreck?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:57 pm
We took the $3100 insurance settlement, which I thought was very fair for 17-year old car. Do you mean did we sue for pain and suffering? No, though our attorney said he could get us $5000 if my wife simply went to the chiropractor. Sorry, frivolity is not our style.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:00 pm
no, did you sell the wrecked car after the payout
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:05 pm
Oh, I see what you mean. The settlement included the $250 salvage that the insurers would get from the junkyard. I could have purchased the car for $250, then attempted to fix or just sell as is. I didn't figure it was worth the hassle.
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:31 pm
yeah, I was just wondering cause i had the same experience but the insurance co. left me with the wreck

i'd never sold a wreck before
0 Replies

owl

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 07:01 am
Sounds like 2 problems. You have lost the backup power to the radio etc. Sometimes the easest fix is to run a new wire. The best place to find a backup lead is probably one of the wires going to the radio.

The tach may be a loose wire in the instrument cluster. Years ago I had a suberu and had to remove the instrument cluster ans solder a group of connector pins to the copper artwork as one had became lose.
0 Replies