The A2k NFL "Pick-Um" Game Is Back!

spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
either extreme ain't easy.

Well--I won back to back titles picking the overdog religiously. So 20th should be just as easy in reverse.

Quote:
the easy part is finishing .500 ...

I would use a coin for that.
spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 12:01 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Take it on the chin JP. I allowed your change in the spread game.
JPLosman0711

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:01 pm
@spendius,
Still trying to find out where I collect....
Region Philbis

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:24 pm
@spendius,

unfortunately, your 'overdogs' don't win as consistently as they used to.
i'd be shocked if we see another 16-0 perfect-O any time soon...
Ragman

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
It's not going to happen this season, for sure. The last chance theoretically possible for that to happen is with the Atlanta Falcons..and that chance should end very soon.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 01:59 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Have you never fantasised about winning the rollover lottery jackpot of jackpots? I have. That's why I never buy a ticket. Never have. Just a tax on the poor with the winners as victims.

Fantasise about beating the bookies. The guys who set those spreads are only guys like you and me. They take a shade of odds because they need to in order to be there to set the spreads for us to take shots at.

Plenty of people pick their ideas of the winners in the horse-racing and don't back them. It gives them something to read the results for and keep abreast of things in that domain. Day after day. Except Good Friday and Christmas Day in order to allow, bookies, trainers, jockeys and other stable staff to attend church on these auspicious days in our calender.

Being in front at the end of the season will mean you beat the spread-makers and have reason to apply for a job being one of them. If you got it then your participation in this thread would not have been in vain.

Such a wizard would obviously turn his attention next to economics and with some astute moves could end up chairman of the Federal Reserve. It is looking for people who can beat the spreads.

Ladies fantasise about being princesses. Which is a lot more ridiculous than the fantasy I have just indulged. When I hear a bloke call his wife "princess" in that oleaginous tone they use, unctuous if you like, it really gets up my nose. He's a certain, bang-at-it misogynist. And I hate misogynists. They are up to thousands of tricks to prevent women expressing themselves in the full flowering of their femininity. And they are losing ground. I would say that women are about 2nd down and 1 on our 22.

It's only a bit of fun.

Ticomaya

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 02:42 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
... And I hate misogynists.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9194/spitc.gif

spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 02:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
You didn't tell us about your uxoriousness Tico as requested. I was looking forward to you doing so.
realjohnboy

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
Week #8 picks are in from AndyD, Johnboy and Rhys.
AndyD, after a bad week, hopes to rebound this week:
Minn, NYJ, SD, Tenn, NE, GB, Atl, Pitt, Sea, Chi, Oak, NYG, Det, SF (17-10).
JohnBoy selects:
Minn, Mia, SD, Tenn, NE, GB, Atl, Pitt, Det, Chi, Oak, NYG, Det, SF (23-21).
Rhys' choices:
Minn, Mia, SD, Indy, NE, GB, Atl, Wash, Det, Chi, Oak, Dal, NO, SF (21-14).
Ragman

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 03:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
Week #8

Thurs 10/25:
TB @ MN

Sun 10/28 - early:
Miami @ NYJ
SD @ Cleve
Indy @ TN
NE @ StL
Jax @ GB
Atl @ Phil
Wash @ Pitts
Seat @ Det
Carol @ Chi

Sun - late:
Oak @ KC
NYG @ Dal

Sun - night:
NO @ Den

Mon - night:
SF @ Ariz
Tiebreaker 21-16
0 Replies

Ragman

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 04:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
JohnBoy...I think you might have had a typo...you picked Detroit 2x. Judging from the order of game, perhaps it was Denver and you typoed? Maybe you also transcribed Andy D typo for Denver too?
JPLosman0711

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 04:14 pm
@spendius,
I love your posts.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 04:16 pm
@Ragman,
True. Andy and I are going with Denver vs New Orleans. Thanks.
I still need picks from the Cowdocs, Coastalrat, Liontamerx and Mysteryman as well as a couple of selections from Ehbeth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 04:31 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
3 or 4 games every week involve a team at 5 to 1 on in the betting.

who bothers looking at that stuff?

I think the important part of pick-um game is game.

I don't look at who I've picked after I pick. JohnBoy could tell me my results are anything and I wouldn't have any idea if he's right or not. Some years he tells me I'm doing all right, some years he tells me I'm in the dumper. It's all good.

I think it's fabulous that he's willing to keep track of everyone's guesses but it's a game.
spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I think it's fabulous that he's willing to keep track of everyone's guesses but it's a game.

Sure it is. I just said so. But if you entered you predictions in the manner John is hinting that you do by his last post, instead of the "I'm going to be different" method and then changing your mind on some games later on, which is incomprehensible to people who accept that it is only a game, then John's willingness to keep track of everyone's guesses might not be put on trial. Nor mine.

If you want to have long pages with a lot of letters and spaces on it, and opportunities to appear again by changing your mind, why don't you write something interesting in the gap between Mon night and Thursday night when we are all bored out of our minds with no NFL action?

I know your game Babe. Inside out, back to front and top to bottom.

spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:09 pm
@spendius,
I should do too. I have had a lot experience with women and it would ridiculous to suggest I have learned nothing from it.

And my favourite writers have had more than me and were even more observant than I am.
ossobuco

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:16 pm
@spendius,
Yours?
JPLosman0711

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:17 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
If you want to have long pages with a lot of letters and spaces on it, and opportunities to appear again by changing your mind, why don't you write something interesting in the gap between Mon night and Thursday night when we are all bored out of our minds with no NFL action?

I know your game Babe. Inside out, back to front and top to bottom.

Best I've seen on here in quite some time, thanks for bringing 'this' back.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:17 pm
@spendius,
As Rider Haggard famously said--"women are the same the world over". It's in King Solomon's Mines which every young man should study before he puts his duds on and heads out into the unknown.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 24 Oct, 2012 05:18 pm
@ossobuco,
You know mine osso.
0 Replies