Do you have a survival kit handy?

jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 05:49 am
About a year and a half ago I bought a new generator in case the power went out during a storm. I never put gas in it and now the tires are flat from sitting in the garage.

I don’t have a survival kit so I’m making a list and I’m planning on going out today and do some shopping. They say we could get hit with a bad storm this weekend. I heard from a few friends that last big storm we had a few years back the power was out for four days!

Flashlights
Batteries
Candles
Lighters
Bottled water
First Aid Kit
Propane for the BBQ
Canned food

What else would you add?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 20 • Views: 7,648 • Replies: 110

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:01 am
@jcboy,

can opener...
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:05 am
@Region Philbis,
HAHAHA, got it! thanks!

Oh and not an electric one Cool
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:25 am
@jcboy,
Some board games or a jigsaw Rolling Eyes & Loads of weed. Razz

I'm sure IMSICDAVE will be on to tell you exactly what firepower you'll need to protect yourself.
Maybe a couple of S.A.M's and plenty of grenades.
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:35 am
@eurocelticyankee,
The backyard is already full of weeds. I like the idea of board games!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:38 am
@jcboy,
http://www.hurricane.com/hurricane-supply-kit.php

Hurricane Supply Kit
Both the National Hurricane Center and the American Red Cross have developed specific guidelines for Hurricane supply kits. A hurricane survival kit is merely a specialized version of your disaster supply kit. It should include provisions to carry you through a week or two after a storm or other disaster. Our hurricane preparation page includes additional recommendations based on experiences of real people who have been through similar situations. Remember, the more water, food, and other items you have the better off you will be in the event of an emergency. You will be able to assist family and friends if needed.

Some companies include pre-assembled survival kits that include water purification tablets and more. They can be useful in addition to your own kit.

Our own version increases some of their recommendations and includes some additional items that are helpful in our experience.

Remember to print hard copy of any documents you need - instructions, tips or anything in case you have no power.

•Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 7 to 10 days. Katrina and Wilma should have emphasized the importance of having sufficient water on hand. Don't forget some for your pets.
•Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 days
— non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
— foods for infants or the elderly
— snack foods (Peanut butter; mixed PBJ; breakfast bars; crackers; canned fruit; raisins; chips;
— non-electric can opener
— cooking tools / fuel
— paper plates / plastic utensils / paper cups

— trash bags and duct tape - useful for clean-up, or patching leaks in an emergency
•An ax to use if you stay and need to escape from your house - or other uses

•Blankets / Pillows, etc.
•Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
•First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
•Special Items - for babies and the elderly
•Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes
•Bug spray, Cortisone for bug bites
•Sunscreen & Lotion
•Tarp to cover holes if needed.
•Bleach
•Water purification tablets
•Waterless soap saves water for drinking
•Flashlight / Batteries
•Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
•Battery operated television, with extra batteries.
•Cash - Banks and ATMs may not be open or available for extended periods. Make sure you have small bills because it will often be difficult to get change, If you only have a $100 and water is $10 for a case and you are limited to one case, you do not want to have the choice of paying $100 or having no water.
•Keys to house, cars, boats etc
•Toys, Books and Games
•Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag
— insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc. Don't forget your re-entry documents (e.g. stickers or passes). Many barrier islands require some documentation in order to return. Keep important phone number here. You may know them, but a loved one may not.
•Tools - keep a set with you during the storm. A pocket knife, nails, a hammer and rope are important elements. Towels and buckets are useful too if you develop a leak.
•Vehicle fuel tanks filled
•Pet care items
— proper identification / immunization records / medications
— ample supply of food and water
— a carrier or cage
— muzzle and leash

~~~~~

the big things I noticed were useful when we've had problems ( major snowstorm/big blackout) - batteries, cash (lots of $5/$10/@20's), mosquito torches for the yard during the big blackout -lighting and mosquito protection for when we slept outside, matches, matches, matches, battery-operated radio, moist wipes, granola bars
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:42 am
@ehBeth,
Those are great!

You know I didn't think about cash, thats a good one too! No power, no ATM machines!
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:43 am
@jcboy,
Just don't get scrabble or you'll kill each other, or Monopoly unless you're there for the long haul.

Quote:
The backyard is already full of weeds
All you need is a bong so. Cool
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:42 am
I’m getting ready for Tropical Storm Issac! I just put our hurricane kit together. Better late than never, right? Plenty of water, flashlights, candles. Everything we need. I also bought two five gallon gas cans and filled them up for the generator.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg833/scaled.php?server=833&filename=issacn.jpg&res=landing
Keith424

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:10 pm
@jcboy,
Always a good idea to be prepared. It could get ugly!
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:29 pm
@Keith424,
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg585/scaled.php?server=585&filename=storm1m.jpg&res=landing
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:44 pm
I haven't lived in a hurricane area so I'm not up on stuff, but it seems to me that people make a run on plywood to cover the windows. Maybe your windows are secure.

Also wondering about the new place - yikes re timing.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 02:58 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg585/scaled.php?server=585&filename=storm1m.jpg&res=landing

HA! I was going to say, first thing on the list: BEER.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Escrow will close on the new house this Friday and it already has hurricane windows. When I bought this house one of the first things I did was have the old windows replaced with hurricane windows. This house is 25 feet above sea level, however the new one isn’t, its in a flood zone, but once escrow closes its covered by the insurance.

You’re right about the plywood, when I stopped at homedepot to buy the gas cans they were selling lots of plywood!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:25 pm
@jcboy,
extra batteries...

and they make some pretty cool little florescent lights that run on AAs.
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Oh I got plenty today, I even bought a couple battery powered lanterns.

I only have ten gallons of gas for the generator, not sure how long that will last, I've never used it before.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:29 pm
@jcboy,
10 gallons will go quite a ways.

I used to run one for 8 to 10 hours on less than 5 gallons...
jcboy

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:34 pm
@Rockhead,
I was thinking of getting a couple more five gallon cans but that's a lot of gas to store in the garage

We plan on using it for the fridge if we lose power.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:35 pm
@jcboy,
I think 10 is plenty.

and be sure and store it where it cannot get damaged or spilled.

that is enough for a mighty big fire...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:53 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
candles.

What'd I tell ya about those candles?

Go get some of those battery-powered lights (Home Depot) I told you about.

Candles in hurricanes are very dangerous. You also won't be able to keep them lit in the high winds if a window breaks.

1. Forums
  2. » Do you have a survival kit handy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.54 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:54:21