Do you have a survival kit handy?

Irishk

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:14 am
@jcboy,
Nate Silver (the NYT political analyst guy) is heading your way for the convention. He tweeted a few days ago that he gives Isaac a 3% chance of hitting Tampa (he's all about statistics lol). Still...better to be safe than sorry as the saying goes. I'm a fan of backup plans Smile
MMarciano

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:51 am
@Irishk,
Same here, a backp plan is a must! it's a strange day today, weather wise, feels like a calm before the storm.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 11:25 am
We may not know anything until sometime tomorrow.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/weather/hurricane/Tropical-Storm-Isaac-Governor-Rick-Scott-declares-state-of-emergency-

Quote:
MIAMI (AP) -- Florida Gov. Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency as Tropical Storm Isaac approaches the state.

Scott said the goal was to make sure every local, state and federal agency "has the exact same information" on the storm and preparations in order to make informed decisions. He issued the state of emergency Saturday during a media briefing in Broward County.

The state is also focusing on preparations ahead of the Republican National Convention in Tampa. Scott said delegates were being information on how to remain safe during a storm. Officials in the Tampa area were also being kept informed of issues that may occur due to Isaac, such as storm surge and bridge closures.

Tampa airport remained open Saturday.

jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 12:44 pm
@jcboy,
I just heard Isaac has cleared Haiti with relative ease and is getting ready to leave Cuba. Tropical storm watch now in effect for Tampa Bay. Isaac now expected to be stronger at landfall than originally forecast: Category 2 expected.
JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:18 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
Tampa airport remained open Saturday.

Still a chance to head for Alaska, JC.
Sloan

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:21 pm
@JTT,
He'll have to get his hair done first, hurricane will have passes by then. Very Happy
JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 02:26 pm
@Sloan,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 03:38 pm
@JTT,
I hate the cold! The weather feels kind of dry for Florida. It’s like something has sucked the humidity out of the air tonight.
JTT

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 06:17 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
It’s like something has sucked the humidity out of the air tonight.

That's god's humongous dehumidifier.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:53 pm
uumm.. what about food?
Batteries and all that gunk is nice, but if you dont have a way to get out, the stores will be closed and who is left will be hoarding.. dude.. food.
and not the refrigerated kind Wink
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 08:54 pm
@shewolfnm,
food is in the first post
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 09:28 pm
@ehBeth,
eeiiyyyee...
and, that is why I should have glasses Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 10:11 pm
@jcboy,
If I had a vote, I'd vote for you getting out of there tomorrow morning.

Why?

Your street and neighborhood is already prone to flooding just with your usually normal rain storms. It won't be able to handle the increased volume of rain from the tropical storm and the streets and lawns will flood again.

You and family will be stuck in the house, unable to go anywhere, until the waters recede, even if the water doesn't come into your house.

You can't do anything about it, so put the furniture and belongings up on as high a level as you can and get the hell outta there for the weekend.

Who wants to endure both the roving republicans, demonstrators and counter demonstrators and a flooding street?

You have the option, go be safe and do something fun for the next couple of days rather than spending the next couple days in angst wondering if you've yet seen the worst of it and how bad it will still get.

Don't wait until the last minute like everyone else does and get stuck in a traffic jam while the storm approaches.
jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 06:09 am
@Butrflynet,
That’s what we’re going to do.

The latest forecast shows it out in the gulf but still heavy winds up to 60 mile an hour and lots of rain in our area. They have postponed the republican national convention in Tampa and Antonio’s school will be closed tomorrow.

Hotels are booked in Tampa so we are leaving for Orlando around noon. It’s not supposed to hit until late tonight or early tomorrow morning.
jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 06:38 am
@jcboy,
Now Marco wants to stay in town plus we can't find a hotel that will take all the pets! We can handle the street flooding, we will be parking the cars and the truck in the back.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 08:43 am
@jcboy,
I don't know if you have them in Florida, but in the Northeast petlovers usually stick with Red Roof Inns. We call 'em the Red Woof. Other, more upscale places, occasionally take pets but no one loves them like the Red Woof.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:00 am
@ehBeth,
Yea, I stayed at one in Tucson when I moved from California to New Mexico. Pacco was a happy boy there.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:28 am
I don’t think we have red woofs here.

One guy laughed at me when I said we have three dogs a cat and two tortoises.

I don’t think its going to be bad here, some wind and rain but we moved all the patio furniture into the garage and went over Gilberts and moved his into his garage.

JPB

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:35 am
Stay safe guys!
ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 09:43 am
@jcboy,
http://www.redroof.com/search/index.cfm?

20+ red woofs in Florida - "pets welcome". I'm not sure I'd tell them exactly how many were being transported - they usually put pet families in the end units - best access to the areas they often have for walking dogs.

http://www.redroof.com/i/SITE_111109_15484189_L0ON1/content/CMS_111121_16381273_8Z2BE/A7E5FBA5-188B-3B72-2E9F3B8C2317F316.JPG

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 07:29:45