Do you have a survival kit handy?

Rockhead

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:16 pm
@chai2,
and condoms make cool water balloons if someone makes fun of your tampon darts...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:17 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:

He's got those in a fire proof safe in the house. But good idea though!

What if you had to evacuate?

We got a lot of Katrina patients years ago, and that how they transported their important papers.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:32 pm
Quote:
you keep the toilet paper in a fire-proof safe?

After eating Marco's green chile stew, that's probably the safest place for that TP! Wink
ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
I made it, it was mildish, delicious.

Probably good for sustenance.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:32 am
We’re watching Isaac closely, not sure where it’s heading yet but we are prepared. We may not know until Saturday if we'll be having a hurricane or just a tropical storm.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20120822/NEWS/120822014/Tropical-Storm-Isaac-2012-likely-become-hurricane-path-threatens-Florida-southeastern-U-S-

Quote:
Tropical Storm Isaac is likely to become Hurricane Isaac and the first major storm to impact or strike the United States in 2012.

There's also concern that as Hurricane Isaac, the storm's path may lead to Florida, impacting the Republican National Convention slated for Tampa Aug. 27-30.

At this point, forecasters say the Tropical Storm Isaac track is most likely to impact Florida, Alabama, Georgia and perhaps even South Carolina early next week (Monday through Wednesday).

"At present forward speed (approximately 20 mph), the greatest impact in the Tampa area is likely to occur Monday afternoon into Tuesday with conditions potentially deteriorating during Sunday night, depending on the nature of spiral bands preceding the system," writes Alex Sosnowski, expert senior meteorologist at AccuWeather.

"The worst case scenario from a Tampa standpoint would be if Isaac were to take a rare path by swinging over the Gulf of Mexico, strengthen, then curve northeastward toward or just north of the city on the Florida west coast."
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 11:48 am
Recipe For Disaster

Farm to table and “fresh” food recipes are great when the sun is shining and electricity is freely flowing. But what will all the farmers market-eers do if we **** up the planet? How will you eat in an armageddon world when there are no more local tomatoes or free range chickens? Good news, your local supermarket has all kinds of ingredients with expiration dates so far ahead, that you’ll be enjoying them for the rest of your gloomy post-apocalypse life. We’ve created the ”Forever Casserole” so you can see the kinds of things you’ll be eating long after the fresh basil and rib eye steaks have gone bad.

The Forever Casserole

Ingredients:

* Plenty of assorted canned Hormel meats including Spam, Vienna Sausages and Canned Chicken. Expiration date: Suggested 3 years into the future. Actual expiration date: Never! It’s meat that doesn’t go bad!
* 16 oz can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Expiration date: Indefinite. When using Dinty Moore Beef Stew be sure to use all of the hardened inner lid grease from the can.
* 8 oz can of Bush’s Original Baked Beans. Expiration date: 3 years, but that’s just a suggestion. 100 years from now, they’ll still be fine.
* 8 oz can of Corned Beef Hash. Expiration date: Not in your life time. When using a can of Corned Beef Hash, it’s tempting to try to keep it in it’s original shape. The same shape as the can. Try to avoid this. For best results, always break up the hash.
* 12 oz can of Spaghetti-Os. Expiration Date: 3 to 4 years depending on it’s can.1 It’s the longest surviving pasta known to man.
* 6 oz jar of Maraschino Cherries. Expiration Date: The jar says 2 years. That can easily be stretched into 5. You’ll need these for color. You’ll know they’re still good if they’re still bright enough to use as a signal flare.
* One box of Twinkies Snack Cakes. Expiration Date: According to legend, they’ll last longer than the Himalayas.

Step One

Take your Hormel “Good for an eternity” meats and mash them into a paste. No knife needed. Most of these long lasting meat products don’t slice anyway. They melt.

Step Two

Once you get them into a liquid meat combo, spackle that along the bottom of a casserole dish. Try to get an even layer and texture of meat by-product, grease and any extra fluids that were present in the can.

Step Three

Line the outside of your casserole dish with Twinkies. With all the grease that’s going to come flying off these almost-meats, you’re going to need a post-apocalyptic sponge cake to start soaking it all up.

Step Four
Now layer your beans first, then your hash, followed by the stew, and a full layer of spaghettios, being careful to spread each layer evenly around the casserole dish, one layer of canned goodness on top of another.

Step Five
Dot the top with Maraschino Cherries. Using this near-fruit will give you the sense that you did at least try to make this healthy. Finally, heat until warm all the way through in a microwave or over a fire if your apocalypse has no power until all the canned lard is completely melted.

Then serve!! And Voilà! There’s your Recipe for Disaster. Don’t worry about refrigerating left-overs. There isn’t one thing in this that will ever go bad. Relax and know that you’ve given your post-apocalyptic family all the preservatives they’ll ever need.

http://theinterrobang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/phpbXKW11AM.jpg

click title to see more pictures if you dare
jcboy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:07 pm
@djjd62,
hehe eww that looks nasty Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:26 pm
@djjd62,
Sheer adulterated genius on someone's part, kudos to him or her. I'm guessing a him.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:20 pm
If by Saturday this looks like a hurricane and heading towards St. Pete we will be leaving for Orlando with the pets Saturday night. I doubt it will come to that but just in case, that’s our plan.
engineer

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:35 pm
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:

If by Saturday this looks like a hurricane and heading towards St. Pete we will be leaving for Orlando with the pets Saturday night. I doubt it will come to that but just in case, that’s our plan.

And that is a great plan. Maybe someone else said it and I missed it, but there is no reason to stay for a hurricane. The power fails, the humidity is 100%, the walls rock, the windows shake and there is nothing you can do about any of it. Go inland, be safe and be sure to leave the answering machine on. When you call the house and it picks up, you have power and it is time to go home.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:48 pm
@djjd62,
That picture reminded me of something I read a while back.

Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
How about rapid onset explosive diarrhea ...
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:54 pm
@engineer,
My thoughts exactly. The houses on both sides of us have large oak trees, they’re old trees. I don’t want to take a chance on one of them falling on the house with us in it and hurricane windows don’t help if your roof blows off!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:54 pm
Me, no experience w hurricanes but vast experience with traffic, would go early, assuming I could.
MMarciano

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
They say we should know by mid Saturday, we will be packed and ready to leave if need be. Three dogs, two tortoises and a cat, I think the four lizards will be okay.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 06:01 pm
@MMarciano,
But so will everybody else.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 08:04 pm
@jcboy,
A one way ticket to a place with a better climate - Alaska, say.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 01:38 pm
Looks like its just going to be a tropical storm, be ready for heavy rain!
MMarciano

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 02:54 pm
@Keith424,
Most likely yes, but they won't know until it passes Cuba.
Irishk

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:40 pm
@MMarciano,
Mr.Irish bought one of those weather radios a few years ago. He turns it on now and then lol.

I want one of these...

http://www.thatsnerdalicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/zombie1-e1345601820309.jpeg?cb5e28
jcboy

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2012 05:19 am
@Irishk,
We still don’t know what’s going to happen with hurricane Isaac. Depends on which news source you listen to, some have it just being a tropical storm others say it will be a hurricane and heading our way.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/20/2024 at 07:22:00