Will any fan here of The Closer continue to watch Major Crimes?

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 12:29 pm
I recently started watching The Closer several months ago. Watching from season one via the greatness of the NYPL and their DVD collection. I just started with season six yesterday.

The series will be ending series will be ending soon and a spinoff, Major Crimes, will pretty much immediately start thereafter.

Quote:
In a rare feat, TNT is simultaneously closing the door on its hit series THE CLOSER while debuting its new spin-off series MAJOR CRIMES. Creator and executive producer James Duff likes to describe MAJOR CRIMES as more of a “continuation” series since as the final scene of THE CLOSER ends, minutes later MAJOR CRIMES picks up exactly where it ended on the same night. With a very clever sleight of hand, one series ends allowing its lead Kyra Sedgwick, who delightfully portrayed Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson for the past seven seasons, a graceful exit while Mary McDonnell takes center stage in the new series with her character Captain Sharon Raydor — though everyone is quick to describe the new series as more of a true ensemble series, which will allow all the characters expanded storylines and screen time.

I love The Closer but I can't stand the Captain Sharon Raydor character. I hate her with a passion. I truly can't see why I would want to watch a series led by her character. How about you? Will you start to watch the new series after The Closer ends and its most vibrant character takes flight from the series?

'The Closer' ends as spin-off 'Major Crimes' kicks off
'The Closer' will bring an end to Kyra Sedgwick's portrayal of Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, but 'Major Crimes' will feature many of the same characters.
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Culture-Cafe/2012/0814/The-Closer-ends-as-spin-off-Major-Crimes-kicks-off

Kyra Sedgwick discusses the end of 'The Closer'
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Culture-Cafe/2012/0709/Kyra-Sedgwick-discusses-the-end-of-The-Closer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,221 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 01:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
......the Captain Sharon Raydor character. I hate her with a passion.
You’re supposed to of course. In retrospect however she has proven competent and sympathetic

Quote:
I truly can't see why I would want to watch a series led by her character. How about you?
Sure, I’m flexible. Tsar I’m wondering whether you’re a gal whence a stronger reaction

Quote:
Will you start to watch the new series after The Closer ends and its most vibrant character takes flight from the series?
Probably on and off depending on what else available in the slot
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 01:28 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

You’re supposed to of course. In retrospect however she has proven competent and sympathetic

Competent, perhaps. Sympathetic? Not at the point I'm at which is the beginning of season 6.

Quote:
Tsar I’m wondering whether you’re a gal whence a stronger reaction

If you're asking me if I'm of the gal persuasion? No. I happen to be of the male variety of the human species.
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 01:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I watched the final episode of The Closer last night, I loved that show! I DVR’d Major Crimes, it came on right after but I have to get up early. I’ll watch it tonight. I have to give it a chance, I like the characters but I’ll miss Kyra Sedgwick.

I just found out last night she is married to Kevin Bacon, never knew that!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 02:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well, both my wife and I were fans of the show, in particular Kyra Sedgwick.

I've heard of this Major Crimes. If we get it on our channels, we'll probably have a look, and see where it goes from there.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 03:43 pm
I plan to give Major Crimes a shot. I watched the first episode last night. It was OK. Not great, not bad.

The Raydor (sp?) character has evolved a bit since she was first introduced to the show.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 04:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Competent, perhaps. Sympathetic? Not at the point I'm at which is the beginning of season 6.
It’s subtle but it's there, disguised by her vocal style. You have to listen carefully as implied by Roberta above
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 06:07 am
I watched it last night, it was okay. I’ll have to watch a few episodes before I decide if I like it or not. If it comes on at ten every week I’ll have to use the DVR again.
Reyn

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:27 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

I plan to give Major Crimes a shot. I watched the first episode last night. It was OK. Not great, not bad.

Last night?

I checked the channel line -up again for last night, and I don't see any listing for that show.

That would explain why I haven't seen it. Rolling Eyes
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:27 pm
@Reyn,
It's on the basic cable station, TNT. A cable station I don't personally get.
Roberta

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 03:11 pm
@jcboy,
It will probably come on at nine, to replace the Closer. We'll see.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 04:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, I don't get TNT.
0 Replies