The Butler did it...

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 12:45 pm
Quote:
Pope's butler leaked papers to shock 'corrupt' Church, prosecutor says

Pope Benedict XVI's butler will be tried on an aggravated theft charge over the leaking of hundreds of secret papers
from the pope's personal apartment to an Italian journalist, a Vatican spokesman said Monday.

The butler, Paolo Gabriele, acted out of a desire to combat "evil and corruption everywhere in the Church," according
to a prosecutor in the case.

"I was certain that a shock ... would have been healthy to bring the church back onto the right track," the prosecutor,
Nicola Piccardi, wrote in a report released Monday by the Vatican.

A second man, Vatican IT expert Claudio Sciarpelletti, will be charged with aiding Gabriele, according to the Rev.
Federico Lombardi, a Vatican spokesman.

Sciarpelletti is not suspected of conspiring with Gabriele, merely assisting him, and is not under arrest, Lombardi said.

The investigation is continuing, said Lombardi, raising the possibility of more arrests.

The trials are not expected to start before September 20, Lombardi said.

Gabriele, one of the pope's closest personal assistants, was arrested in May on suspicion of passing the papers to an
Italian journalist. He faces the possibility of one to six years behind bars, Lombardi said.

The scandal has rocked the Catholic Church hierarchy and could even affect who becomes the next pope.
(cnn)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,420 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 12:49 pm
@Region Philbis,
Ok, that's delicious.

I saw something in the ital newspaper I looked at for a second today and couldn't figure it out sans il mio dizionario. I'm not your quickest reader of italian and often get things wrong by one important word. Well, one or more.
Truth is, I didn't want to reach for the dictionary since the last time I did, I jarred a cup of colored pencils, the cup falling and breaking. So I put off figuring out the ital news. Still, I gotta smile, and I'll check it out.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 01:12 pm
Wait a minute. What's the crime here?

Quote:
Pope Benedict XVI's butler will be tried on an aggravated theft charge over the leaking of hundreds of secret papers
from the pope's personal apartment to an Italian journalist, a Vatican spokesman said Monday.

If he just made copies of the documents and leaked them, what would be the theft part?
Pope Benedict's secret recipe for FishOnFriday Soup?
Notes from Israel where they say "Oh ****, they found the body!"

If he actually took the papers, that would be something different because there is actual loss of property.

Joe(He would also be guilty of stupidity)Nation
0 Replies