Has anyone seen "Beasts of the Southern Wild"?

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:13 am
I've really been wanting to see this movie but I'm wondering if I should take Mo or not.

It looks like a good movie for kids but I know that sometimes the indie-critic's-darling of a movie is boring to kids. I haven't really come across any reviews that address whether kids have liked this movie or not.

Has anyone seen it? Do you think kids would like it?

Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:36 am
@boomerang,
I just saw that movie and I highly recommend it for adults. When I read the synopsis of the story before I saw it, I thought it might be a depressing story, but somehow after watching it, I found it definitely not the case. It was uplifting as the main protagonist, 6-yr-old Hushpuppy, displays the positive traits of a survivor against all odds.

FWIW, the child actor who played the role of 6-yr-old Hushpuppy was unbelievably good. All the actors used were not trained actors, but that didn't make for an amateurish or create a problem of a roadblock to the storytelling. IMHO, it added to it.

I can't claim to know if a child would enjoy it, frankly. I'm unfamiliar with the age of your child but if she is over about 12 or so it might be entertaining in spots to her/him but possibly not age-appropriate as it's pretty dark and deals with heavy issues of alcoholism, end-of-the-world scenario and illness and/or loss of her closest of kin.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:46 am
@Ragman,
Thanks, Ragman.

I've been dying to see it since I first heard about it and today's paper shows that it finally one at a theater near me. It just looks wonderful.

Mo is 11.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:54 am
@boomerang,
As in this case as well, IMDb is your friend, Boomerang:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125435/parentalguide

Personally, I'll wait until the movie goes to DVD before seeing it.
Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:09 am
@boomerang,
I've read reviews on IMDB and elsewhere. The indication is that suitability of this movie is for children 14 or over.

With that being said (through your various threads on Mo), it seems like a mature 11-yr-old but I would be hard-pressed to advise you here.

http://www.fandango.com/beastsofthesouthernwild_153166/criticreviews

[edit: No spoilers here:]

"What Parents Need to KnowParents need to know that Beasts of the Southern Wild is a heart-wrenching fable that's so unique that it's hard to classify. It's a drama about an alcoholic father who means well but has few tools to convey his love to his spitfire 6-year-old daughter. It's a celebration of quirky friendships and the power of the imagination. It's an indictment of the deep divide that separates the rich and the poor. And much more. Expect some swearing; kids and adults both say the word "p---y." There's also lots of drinking, brutal depictions of abject poverty, an adult striking a child, and discussion about the death of a parent."
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:11 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks, tsar.

My concern is more about the pacing of the film and the way that the story is presented rather than the sex/violence/profanity angle though.

While Mo does enjoy "quiet" movies, if the tempo is too slow he loses interest.

I usually wait for the DVD but I really want to see this one.
Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:13 am
@boomerang,
IMHO, based on your recent query, I think this movie would be slow in spots for an 11-yr-old. Most importantly, the language and violence exhibited toward other adults and toward her is infrequent BUT this movie would not be appropriate.

There's just a bit too much dooms-day sort of reality for an 11-yr-old. I do need to say that I don't want to discourage you from seeing it, however.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:20 am
@Ragman,
There are several elements to the film that I think he would like. He has an odd affection for Louisiana and the its people, for one, and a fascination with the weather, which I understand plays a big part in the movie, for two.

Mostly though he likes stories about believable people on adventures as opposed to wizards and vampires and trolls and other stock characters of most movies/books directed at kids his age.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:34 am
@Ragman,
Hmmm....

Sounds like I might have to wait for the DVD after all. I fear that by the time school starts and I have the opportunity to go to the movies alone, that it won't be in the theater anymore.

Thank you for the advice!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:37 am
@boomerang,
Jeez, it's really a tough call but what I posted was as far as I could take you. The violence and the bad language and the pacing in many parts might be problematic. However, what I would suggest to you is your pre-viewing the movie first and then maybe showing it to him on DVD afterwards if you approve it appropriate.

Because it plays at small theaters, there's limited viewing.

{edit: ok...I just read your reply and you're welcome.}
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:54 am
I saw a review in WSJ, and have been waiting for it to show up in one of the theaters. Still waiting.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:09 pm
@roger,
It's a very tiny independent film. If it ain't in your local indie theater now, it's likely it won't make it at all. It's never going to hit a megaplex. You're going to have to wait until the DVD release (whenever that's going to be) Sir Roger.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's at the megaplex here: http://www.fandango.com/centuryclackamastowncenterandxd_aaunh/theaterpage
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 12:23 pm
@boomerang,
I'll be danged.... Razz
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 08:01 am
Wow! At least four nominations for Beasts of the Southern Wild including the youngest ever to be nominated for Lead Actress.

Quote:
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Nominees:
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Best Achievement in Directing
Nominees:
Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Nominees:
Quvenzhané Wallis for Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Nominees:
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012): Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin
roger

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2013 01:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wow, indeed. I need to track this one down. It never showed up in theaters around here.
0 Replies