Duality Becoming-Time

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 03:51 am
@fresco,
Quote:
What is the difference between the child "knowing" fire can hurt, and the theist "knowing" that prayers can be answered ? Between those examples lie the infinity of things we might claim "to know" and often there is nothing more than "belief" of "social agreement" which justifies use of the word "know", since expectancy is infrequently 100% even in physics.

Hard for me to deal with this question because I recognize how little I know and acknowledge that limitation...unlike some other people here.

Quote:
Appeals to "reality" merely beg the question of how we know what reality is.

That is very interesting to hear that you apparently know that. I do not.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 09:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
My feeling is that there is a huge difference between an event and the understanding of an event...just as there is a huge difference between a painting and individual appreciation of the painting.

I agree that those distinctions are very useful for communication. There is a huge difference, from a certain perspective. But on another conceptual level there may be no difference.

An event or object usually has more information associated with it than what we need in any given context. Trees and humans are similar if the contrast is "things that float through the air". But if the contrast is "things that move around", trees and humans are not similar.

Regarding your example of the infant and hot, it seems we are using the word 'knowledge' in different ways. What you refer to I would call experience, though it seems I will have to modify my statement from saying "all knowledge" to "all empirical knowledge", because I didn't include knowledge acquired through life-experience.

I was thinking about facts like 'water freezes at 0ยบ celcius', and pretty much all scientific knowledge. The way I see it, some fundamental assumptions serve to give us a materialistic bias.
0 Replies

sibilia

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 10:06 am
TO FLOW AND TO BE: A STATISTICAL POINT OF VIEW

For Heraclitus being is the becoming and for Parmenides being is thinking.

In the B-T Duality the becoming are changes, flowing continuously. Time is the permanence, the thing that is. That is, changes-permanence and flow-being(s). Things, in their duration, change, but retaining their identity or being. Consider the metaphor in which the TV is being and the images are becoming.

Becoming and time are qualitative ordinal variables with three classes or categories: before, during and after. Duration is a frequential quantitative variable whose value is derived from the count of a periodic phenomenon or cycle. The categories of duration are: past, present and future.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 12:51 pm
@sibilia,
I am unsure what one would be able to read from those statistics. Would the information be useful for anything?
sibilia

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:30 pm
@Cyracuz,
To know the truth about time.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 01:35 pm
@sibilia,
I already know the truth about time. Or, I know many truths about time. It changes depending how I look at it. That. in turn, suggests that the manner and method of my looking has bearing on what the truth will be.
sibilia

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:17 pm
@Cyracuz,
The manner I see time is: objective, sequential, relative, irreversible and uni-dimensional.
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 02:42 pm
@sibilia,
I see time as short at the moment, since I have to get out of this sofa in fifteen minutes.
0 Replies

absos

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 03:00 pm
@sibilia,
it depends on ur concept of truth

if u mean objective then u mean lies not the truth
as objective time is knowledge abuse of the gap between true present being eternal and the unpresent being all existence of else
so the parametre of now is always induced in inventin about all by powerful present freedom gathered as one creator by the worse liar lovin to forcin existence of things
fresco

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2012 11:28 pm
@absos,
What happened to foul-mouth imans ? Did you murder him ? Laughing
sibilia

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 05:39 am
Quote:
Fresco says:
What happened to foul-mouth imans ? Did you murder him ?

I ignored him because He says many obscene words.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 05:39 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Your point is well made, but Frank could cite the skeptics of such a model if he researched the matter.(Einstein being one !)

My approach to these questions has in essence moved on from citing "scientific authority" in support of philosophical arguments because I see "science" as a particular form of social discourse to which "philosophy" erroneously attempts to aspire, since its concerns are transcendent of the "goals of science". From that point of view, the directions of the discourse which we call "debate" are more revealing than the subject under discussion.

Is philosophy a form of social discourse? If so, is this your metaphilosophical position on the matter?
fresco

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 09:25 am
@Ding an Sich,
Pessimistically I would say yes, but I am always hopeful that my occasional experience of "transcendence" may turn out to be more than an epiphenomenon of "brain chemistry".
Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:21 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Pessimistically I would say yes, but I am always hopeful that my occasional experience of "transcendence" may turn out to be more than an epiphenomenon of "brain chemistry".

If it is a form of social discourse, what does it involve? What do philosophers do? Could you point to someone and say, "Clearly, this man is philosophizing", or "Clearly, this man is engaging in some sort of philosophical activity". What would that look like?
absos

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:44 pm
@fresco,
no imans is what each philosopher look up to as the exclusive way to true existence becomes real in future wise where all now would b burried for new day clear of the day clarity not any star or fire ways
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 12:59 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Philosophy is about questioning what is normally taken for granted in everyday interactions....concepts of "truth", "rights", "value", education","belief" etc, together with the very nature of "conceptualization" itself. Insofar that all such questioning involves verbalization, it constitutes discourse.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 02:54 pm
@fresco,
We usually think of problem-solving (including philosophy) as addressing what is out-of-order, not what is taken for granted. But I like your notion of philosophy as ALSO finding the ordinary problematical.
fresco

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 12:03 am
@JLNobody,
I suppose I am taking the Greek symposium (Plato) as a starting point, where men with time on their hands sat around discussing "truth" and "virtue" etc. It may be the case that the word "philosophy" will always carry with it its etymological roots and its link to privileged contemplation.
absos

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 02:32 am
philosophy is exclusively about freedom from self existence sense knowin that freedom is THE existence fact, so meanin to prove how all objective forms of existence are through absolute concepts while being totally free from
philosophy mean that truth so one truth exclusively when it doesnt care how objective is also free so there is no questions concerns about anything as u claim. philosophy cares exclusively about own freedom value and existence right to be just one
0 Replies

absos

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 02:44 am
@fresco,
even the greek letter phi is the sign of infinite zero meaning the logos of freedom knowin that it is the obvious that exist n should every perspective justify

u r such means to profit from whatever been told rulin this present time that u insist to pretend that anyone at the end will react the same way
well no, this is ur choice it has nothing to do with truth
one is not the cause of what it might get or want, this is ur invention, individuals exist out of nothing bc truth is freedom and any perspective or standin will is totally independant to all what is lookin attached to it or its effect

that is why obviously futur belong to truth, only true ones are gonna fight for their independant rights when they would know how they are stuck in those matters ruled by evil for their abuses, never willin to recognize them existing there wether in that body or anywhere else

call it zombis time but for sure there gonna b wars everywhere n im sure that truth is gonna b the answer from up too, forcin those powers to witness being stuck in freedom as existence havin no else or forms existin to abuse, they r gonna abuse each others those gods while they clearly r already meanin it from truth leadin them to, above eachothers as a thing one that is what u mean to end with ur gods that r gonna end like it
0 Replies