In the last day, I've two questions

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 07:52 pm
one is major - google's screen gives me no place to add a search subject (what the fuckeroo?)

and two, I get bells if I tend to take too long to think on a2k - what is that about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,012 • Replies: 19

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 09:33 pm
@ossobuco,
well, this is similar to my last more strained question, about what is going on with google search with no place to add a search subject - and what can I do about it.

The bells? Seems like a timing thing.

wtf?

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 06:33 am
@ossobuco,
Dunno what you mean by bells. A2K hasn't had any sort of sound files in years.

Google has a search bar, as always.

Methinks you've got spyware.
engineer

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 06:50 am
@ossobuco,
I did some research on your google bar problem. Did you see the link I put in the other thread?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 09:07 am
@engineer,
No, not yet, Engineer.
But - I figured it out.

I was nonplussed when the blank long window for putting in a search item disappeared - and it's still 'disappeared'.
What I didn't see, as I use google picasa choices to have on the search screen is that - besides the small light blue vertical line where the search window used to be - is an even smaller bouncing line (don't know what you call that, but it's where you start your typing.

So, once I saw that today (I was off the computer yesterday) I caught on.

I tried getting rid of the picasa photo background and the same thing happened with the white page google web search.. except that now I could more easily see the bouncing black vertical line. And now that I'm clear on how to use it, I've gone back to adding a background photo.

Don't like this too much, in that as I type the search, it doesn't let me see my spelling but instead gives me possible similar search items to click on. Oh, well.

I don't know if this is just on my browser - or is happening for all.

On the bells, those are something I haven't heard on my computer in quite a while, and they are probably normal and have nothing to do with a2k. Thanks, jespah. Their absence was apt to be to do with what was going on as my computer was fluttering to a stop back a week or two ago. (that turned out to be both memory sticks failing, and the guy who fixed it also upgraded my OS X).
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 10:32 am
@ossobuco,
Hah. I'm not the only one wailing about this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4136899?start=60&tstart=0
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
In my case, the situation is re my having google as my home page.
To date, everything I see is silly, re the lack of a post words window. I can hardly post four words and they disappear. Super simplified - is this the idea for the future?

On the bells, I'm beginning to remember I shut those off on my last best command of the computer. Now they show up loud at odd times.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:09 pm
Since all this, I've tried to access google and gotten shut off after about four words. Not sure, back to verify or not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:13 pm
@jespah,
I don't think it has to do with a2k.

Ding....
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I also doubt it is spyware. Of course, maybe.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I hate to call the guy again. A
and I hate to call the guy again B
engineer

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
It sounds like a formatting issue. The box is there but you can't see it. As a test, go to the Google home page, let it load, then type in something and press enter. If Google search results pop up, you know that you were typing in a box, you just couldn't see it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:56 pm
@engineer,
Yes, I've clicked the home page. All is lovely, There is no white box.
It is more complicated than that.
engineer

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Did you try typing blindly? Also, I don't know how to do this in Safari, but if you can select View -> Source and post the HTML code, we can see if the box is in there somewhere.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:29 pm
@engineer,
Yes, and it works somewhat. Not very far. Something like four words worth.

All very strange.

I hope I don't need to rely on yahoo.
engineer

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:30 pm
@ossobuco,
Yahoo's not so bad! Here is a link that shows you how to view the source code for the page.

http://kb.iu.edu/data/agao.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:34 pm
@engineer,
Yes, trying typing blindly is what I've been talking about. I only get to type four or five words blindly.
I could do some swearing, but you know me, dainty sort, snort.

I'll try what you suggest in the morning..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 07:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I read your link (that was in the other thread) and it looked at the end that several people were calling this a bug.

Anyway, just now, out of the blue with my not doing anything to cause a change -
the window to type a search on the google page is back.

Strange - but wonderful.
engineer

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 07:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Sounds like a fix to me! Google routinely changes small things on their website. I wonder if they changed a format or font and that bypassed the "bug".
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:39 pm
@engineer,
I call it a millacal - my word for miracle.
Now I can use a more complex background photo (e.g., shot of San Francisco, which totally hid that stupid bouncing vertical line). Plus type more complex searches.
0 Replies