What's the best way to clean an oven?

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 05:46 pm
What's the best way to clean a nonself-cleaning oven?

The easier the better.... The less chemicals even betterer.... Razz

jcboy

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 05:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
I ruined the last oven I had because it was one of those self cleaning ovens and I had no idea what that meant. I used easy off on it.

When in doubt, soap and water Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 05:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Oven Cleaner: Moisten oven surfaces with sponge and water. Use 3/4cup baking soda, 1/4cup salt and 1/4cup water to make a thick paste, and spread throughout oven interior. (avoid bare metal and any openings) Let sit overnight. Remove with spatula and wipe clean. Rub gently with fine steel wool for tough spots. Or use Arm & Hammer Oven Cleaner, declared nontoxic by Consumers Union.

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

I think pretty much anything can be cleaned with some combo of baking soda/vinegar/water/salt.

Just have to find the right combo for the specific thing you're trying to clean.

I kinda worship baking soda.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ha

someone else who thinks like I do

http://happyhomemaker88.com/2007/10/11/easy-cleaning-with-vinegar-baking-soda/

Quote:
/2 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup baking soda

3 cups water

- combine all the above. Apply this in inside and outside the oven with a kitchen towel, leave for a few minutes and then just wipe of with a clean, wet towel. For those stubborn stains, just scrub a little harder.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
can you have a neighbor do it?

I used to live down the hall from this cute girl, and she never did anything for herself...
roger

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:04 pm
Any parts that are removable, I clean with oven cleaner. Take them outside, spray them well, and carefully slip them into plastic bags for a day. If you touch the stuff, wash with cold water immediately. Don't breathe the spray or get it into your eyes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Quote:
Oven Cleaner: Moisten oven surfaces with sponge and water. Use 3/4cup baking soda, 1/4cup salt and 1/4cup water to make a thick paste, and spread throughout oven interior. (avoid bare metal and any openings) Let sit overnight. Remove with spatula and wipe clean. Rub gently with fine steel wool for tough spots. Or use Arm & Hammer Oven Cleaner, declared nontoxic by Consumers Union.

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

I think pretty much anything can be cleaned with some combo of baking soda/vinegar/water/salt.

Just have to find the right combo for the specific thing you're trying to clean.

I kinda worship baking soda.

I really like this one. The overnight part makes sense considering it's not that dangerous chemical crap of the store bought oven cleaner. I'll try this one and see what happens afterwards. I'll resort to the nasty oven cleaner if the all nighter natural stuff doesn't do the job well enough.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

can you have a neighbor do it?

I used to live down the hall from this cute girl, and she never did anything for herself...

I need to roll again to get a higher base ability charisma score before I try and get any cute single neighbor girls to break a sweat and use a little elbow grease to clean my oven.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
When I moved into this house, the oven probably hadn't been cleaned in a decade Twisted Evil or so it seemed. We did the baking soda/salt paste thing twice. The oven/stove are still in use now - lovely harvest gold - but reasonably clean.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 06:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
damn those twenty sided dice.

charisma and dexterity will only get you so far anyways...

can't you just break the oven and have the super get you another one?
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 08:30 pm
I like the vinegar and baking soda combo. I try to wipe up spills as soon as possible (without getting burned).
roger

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:13 pm
@nextone,
Vinegar and baking soda at the same time? I just now mixed up a small batch,and it bubbled like crazy.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:14 pm
@roger,
don't drink it...

(and folks wonder why this place is called ask an expert)
roger

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:20 pm
@Rockhead,
Are you sure? They use vinegar on salads (so I've heard), and baking soda settles the stomach. What's not to like?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:20 pm
@roger,
ok, drink it and get back to us.

have you got any pepto?

FWIW I clean the oven with bleach brand bathroom cleaner.

and rinse with water.
roger

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Just some old baking soda.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:29 pm
What's wrong with using nasty oven cleaner? That's what it's for.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 09:32 pm
@Ticomaya,
msO needs your help but is afraid to ask you.

http://able2know.org/topic/195564-1#post-5071370

I'm not sure what that's all about.

your cologne, probably...
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 09:55 am
@roger,
V inegar and baking soda also good for cleaning drains. Apple cider vinegar and honey good for arthritis pain. Use a tbsp honey add enough vinegar to make it liquify, hold nose and drink . My theory is this works because it tastes so horrible, you don't notice aching joints for a while.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 10:10 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Vinegar and baking soda at the same time? I just now mixed up a small batch,and it bubbled like crazy.

awesome eh
0 Replies