Is there any counter top oven that has no aluminum at all in any if its internal parts?

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:02 pm
What metals are used in the internal parts of counter top ovens ? Is Aluminum or other heavy/bad metals used in all cooking gadgets or are there any healthier choices available. If so what are the brand names ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 7
No top replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:33 pm
@let me know,
Why does it matter? The internal parts of the oven aren't touching your food. (I hope). You're cooking in pots or pans or casseroles, right?
let me know

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:05 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I do use the pots but sometimes the food has to be left uncovered. Also, if I am not wrong some metals like aluminum have very low melting point and they would probably contaminate the food. Specially when techniques like high pressure and air frying are being used or when the temperatures get really high.
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 11:02 pm
@let me know,
The metal that your oven is made of isn't going to melt from the heat the oven produces. If that happened, then ovens would be single use items. The first time you used it, it would melt and then you'd have to buy a new oven. Has this happened to anyone you know? The melting point of aluminum is 1, 221 F. Do you know of any recipes that call for that temperature? Regular household ovens may get to 550F. Most dishes are baked at between 325 - 375F. Have you ever used an oven before?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 02:56 am
Aluminum is a food contaminant, but you can get that from aluminum pans and pots. Be sure not to use those. I don't know of any other metal contaminants which would likely be used in appliances or cookware. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer whose product you contemplate purchasing.

EDIT: The aluminum doesn't have to melt in order to contaminate your food, but it does have to come in contact with the food.
roger

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 03:34 am
@Setanta,
Getting off topic, but I used to keep spaghetti sauce in an aluminum pot between uses. Once, after washing it, I noticed severe pitting on the bottom of the pan. I now use stainless for that purpose. I don't like the association of aluminum with Alzheimer's, though it has never proven to be a cause. It has also not been proven to be a cause the last time I researched the subject.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 03:52 am
@roger,
Aluminum is more plausibly linked to problems of blood-brain chemical transfer transactions. There is a lot of hysteria about it--linking it to dementia, osteoporosis and bee deaths (i sh*t you not). Long term exposure to significant amounts of aluminum has only ever been linked to problems in chemical transactions in the brain, as far as i know. Even then, you'd need to be using aluminum a great deal.

I think heavy or long term exposure to political discussions is a far greater danger.
0 Replies

let me know

Reply Fri 27 May, 2016 05:36 pm
@roger,
Thanks Setanta
Your reply is very helpful. I will contact the manufacturers next time I buy an oven. I have been thinking about buying those time saving pressure ovens and air frying ovens but everytime I check them in a store - I see that the heating bars look like a metal that could be aluminum, tin or what looks like some carbonated metal. I prefer to avoid the heavy/bad metals - just too much controversy about their effects on health. Using them while waiting for the research/ science to prove positively that they are harmful would make me feel like a guinea pig. I do avoid baking generally speaking.
0 Replies