is cheating ok?

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 01:53 pm
because it's too hard to enforce, and everyone else is doing it?

from yahoo:
"His biggest crime was admitting the kicks. Who admits to cheating? What's the benefit? Deny, deny, deny, brother! It's easy:

Reporter: "We saw you took three kicks on your pullout. Did you?"

Van der burgh: "No, I only took one."

If you're morally loose enough to try to justify cheating by giving the "everybody else is doing it defense," lying to some journalist isn't going to be too difficult."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/cheater-swimming-gold-medalist-admits-taking-illegal-kicks-162450535--oly.html

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 02:04 pm
@Rockhead,

if everyone else is doing it, maybe they should just go ahead and allow it...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 02:10 pm
Interesting. .

and there's another aspect, the gaming of performance to get into an easier bracket.

I'm old fashioned, no on cheating - but I get it's hard to monitor.
Honor system seems to be out for a long walk around the world.
Tattling is, I assume, a cultural no no.
Letting all cheat - well, that could get pretty hairy.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 02:14 pm
@Rockhead,
That's why I wont watch soccer anymore. It's endemic in the game now.
A bunch of overpaid prima donna's.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 02:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
Maybe we should just eliminate all the stoke events and just have everyone swim freestyle. Swimming the "breaststroke" means swimming in a certain way. If you aren't doing that you aren't doing the breaststroke. If he wants to do 20 dolphin kicks he can swim freestyle and there won't be any question.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 02:48 pm
I know this deviates from the topic, but I think part of this mentality is because there is no longer such a thing as an "amateur" athlete.

they are all professionals for the most part.

except mebbe the curliers. curlerites. curlanators... them folks that play with rocks and brooms...
spendius

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:01 pm
@Rockhead,
I wouldn't justify cheating because everybody is doing it. A chap who cheats doesn't want the other chaps doing it because if they don't he's the only one left for women to cheat with.

Why do you think stags and buffaloes fight other males off? Females are natural cheaters to an extent that it's not really a fault at all. Hence all the beauty products, fashions and generally putting it about. I think it is a product of evolutionary design which we personify and symbolise in the Adam and Eve story.

The exercise of enchantment seems to me to be irresistible to those females who are confident of their powers.

It's another "last, rasping gasp of the mantis's groom" job. Assuming there is no counter-veiling morality strong enough to neutralise it or at least tone it down a bit.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:04 pm
@spendius,
just for grins, spendi, let's try and keep our pet arguments out of a discussion for once...

this is not about sex.*

thanks...

*or god. or guns. or rape...
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:13 pm
Cheating is not okay, in my book. I don't have a fancy argument. I just know that if I am there to watch athletes in competition they owe it to me and the other players to do their honest best within the rules.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Are the curlanators not a Winter Olympics sport?. Wink

Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:19 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
are we not supposed to talk about them in the summer?

like the neighbor and her pool boy?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:24 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
now you have me envisioning methods of cheating at curling...

electric pants to melt the ice as you squat and brush maybe.

salt solution on the broom.

laxatives in your opponents tea...
spendius

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:27 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm sorry Rockie. I assumed the thread concerned adultery.

As far as sport is concerned I think anything goes. Nothing much has happened except a new and fast growing bureaucracy has inserted itself in between the performers and the public. It is no doubt self selecting and well paid.

It is charged up in ticket prices and other merchandise.

Training is cheating. Having well off parents gives an advantage. One course I heard mentioned in some discipline was £600 a month and hordes of hopefuls signed up.

A gold medal basically means the top capacity to withstand pain.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 03:34 pm
@Rockhead,
Ha, I'd be thinking twice about going into competition with you Rock.

PS, where exactly can you get these electric pants......
spendius

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 04:50 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
PS, where exactly can you get these electric pants......

Vibrators. A form of cheating.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 05:08 pm
@Rockhead,
What kind of cheating, moral, money, or sports?

At one time golf was a gentleman's sport, players would actually admit to rule violations. Nowadays, winning and the million dollars are the only things that count.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 04:38 am
Rock, do you understand the real meaning of amateur?

amateur
n
a person who engages in an activity, esp a sport, as a pastime rather than professionally or for gain.

Ah, I never hear from you anymore.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:29 am
For a really good look at incredibly complex cheating, check out Marathon Man in the New Yorker magazine from a couple of weeks ago.

Spoiler alert: The guy can run a 3:20 marathon, very respectable, but he want so desperately to do sub-threes, he goes in all lengths to find ways of cutting the courses he runs.

He's cheated in over 100 marathons.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/06/120806fa_fact_singer

Joe(your library has a copy, go see them)Nation
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 07:15 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Cheating is not okay, in my book. I don't have a fancy argument. I just know that if I am there to watch athletes in competition they owe it to me and the other players to do their honest best within the rules.

Absolutely. It is, afterall, what makes it a challenge and differentiates the winner. It's a distinguishing characteristic and why we love our Olympic winners so much. Diligence, hard work - pays off. Even if you don't win...I think it is an honor in and of itself to make it to the Olympics. Even if you suck there, you still are an amazing and distinguished athlete.

If the cheating were allowed, I think it would be demoralizing. Some kind of apathetic, insipid standard would in the place of what should be. Which are rules. Rules are not a bad thing for pete's sake.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 07:41 am
There has been a few scenarios of cheating by officiators and judges in these Olympics, as well. I've been reading about this onlineI think Spain and Canada were robbed in soccer by questionable officiating, and Canada was robbed in boxing, among others. Disgusting and disheartening.
0 Replies