2008 F-350 Diesel engine problems

Bakita

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 04:51 pm
We have a 2008 F-350 Diesel with less than 35,000 miles of use. The engine was rebuilt last summer after soot build-up lead to damaged injectors and a cracked head (the automated self-cleaning feature in the exhaust system wasn't cycling properly). We had it in the shop earlier this year after it started to lose power when climbing hills, especially while towing a 26-foot travel trailer. The techs couldn't find anything wrong. It's in the shop again because the continually weakening engine finally triggered the "Service Engine Soon" warning light. The techs said the code indicated problems with the #7 fuel injector, but they found no apparent problem when they examined it. They did find a small radiator leak. We found a couple of articles and blogs noting that this particular engine, model and year, is prone to failure due to incompatible metals and execessive heat. We also suspect that the self-cleaning feature in the exhaust system is again failing to perform properly . We're wondering if anyone from this site has additional information regarding Ford Diesels of this make and age range . Also, we are considering trading the truck in, despite the low mileage, and wonder if anyone has information on any make of the newer Diesels. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,895 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 05:51 pm
@Bakita,
that 6.4 was a badass engine that always gave em trouble. The new 6.8 is supposedly better. I own 3 F's . two are the 7.3's and the other is a Cat c-5.

Ive got no dvice other than invoking the lemon law cause it sounds like you have got more than just some chronic problems.
Was this truck bought used?
Bakita

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:46 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you for your reply. We bought the truck new and have invested in the offered extended warrenty plan--a good idea as it turned out. Funny thing, I went to pick the truck up today and paid them the deductable for the work they did on the radiator. The tech assured me that they found nothing wrong with the engine itself. However, as I was transferring my kid's car seat from my friend's car to the truck (which was quietly idling), the engine suddenly broke into the loud chatter that characterizes a bad cylinder. I went right back inside the shop and asked the man to step outside and take a look. He drove it back into the service bay, so I never even got it out of the shop before it had to in again--at least I won't need to pay the deductable again. Sounds like we might be better off getting rid of it.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2012 10:48 pm
@Bakita,
old powerstrokes are good for one thing.

keeping the mechanic in business...
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 05:06 am
@Rockhead,
The 7.3 was a great engine. The only problem with many US trucks is that they use a lot od imported CHINESE Steel parts like wheels and axles and gears. Chinese make shitty steel.
Bakita

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:02 pm
@farmerman,
You're absolutely right; the product only can be as good as its basic components. I'm still waiting to hear about what they found.
0 Replies