Country girl needs Enlightenment

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:46 am
Portal Star wrote:
OOH! If people offer you a free "Stress Test" (this involves two metal cans you put your hands on) don't take it - they are scary Scientologists trying to sell you Scientology. It's a quack theft religion started by a sci-fi writer that has its centers in major cities. The members have been known to be dangerous.
L. Ron only wrote the book... he never endorsed the wacko's.

Sose, don't let Gus contaminate you... he was born that way. Be afraid... Be very afraid... Besides; I can prove you LOVE Cheeseheads.
(I triple-dog dare you to turn that into a singular :wink: )
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:58 am
Portal Star wrote:
OOH! If people offer you a free "Stress Test" (this involves two metal cans you put your hands on) don't take it - they are scary Scientologists trying to sell you Scientology. It's a quack theft religion started by a sci-fi writer that has its centers in major cities. The members have been known to be dangerous.

Interesting..what is it? where can I find out?
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:02 am
[quote="OCCOM BILL"Besides; I can prove you LOVE Cheeseheads.
(I triple-dog dare you to turn that into a singular :wink: )[/quote]

How unfair... I take the dare...

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

I professed my love for bill in all his cheeseheadedness....

Will Bill Cowher ever forgive me?

But.. Packers still suck.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:06 am
soserene wrote:
Portal Star wrote:

Interesting..what is it? where can I find out?

L. Ron Hubbard's scientology. He wrote the book on a bet that he could start a religion. Was in and out of jail. They probably have a website online but it won't tell you the truth. A lot of celebrities are scientologists: Ex: Janet jackson, Tom Cruise. It basically says we are aliens and need to give money to the people at the top of the pyramid scheme (I thought it was L. ron Hubbard) and have enemas to gain enlightenment. And it will do whatever claim suits the target market location where these are. Ex: on my college campus scientology reduces stress and makes you get better grades. A total cure all.

Anyways, if you want the real beef I recommend looking it up on the net and seeing what other people have to say about it. My favorite search engine is www.google.com
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:09 am
soserene wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Besides; I can prove you LOVE Cheeseheads.
(I triple-dog dare you to turn that into a singular :wink: )

How unfair... I take the dare...

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

I professed my love for bill in all his cheeseheadedness....

Will Bill Cowher ever forgive me?

But.. Packers still suck.
Shocked Question :wink: Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:15 am
Enemas to gain enlightenment?

huh?

I'm gonna look that up!! Thanks for the inspiration!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:47 am
The book is Dianetics. Most of the rest of that nonsense is not L. Ron Hubbard. It reads like a text book... and isn't nearly as crazy as the scientologists it spawned. It can be read without fear, unless you are already a kook. (For the record; I'm not a "clear", and I've never had a session of dianetic therapy!... honest)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:39 am
Parking in the city, other than in a garage is a mental challange all its own. If its winter-its worse.

Around here there are people who will 'take ownership' of a space on a city street by putting lawnchairs/garbage cans, etc in the space to mark it as their own. If you mess with it, or park in that space-you shouldnt be surprised to find your car vandalized, towed, or stolen--this is a given.
Most larger cities have parking restrictions. In certain areas you must have that specific areas parking permit to park in that area--open space or not.
If you drive around and look well enough you can usually find some place thats either not marked as permit needed..or the great and wonderful 'no parking' only sign--towing is bad if on a sign however--if towing isnt there you might get away with it, just a ticket which could be less than the cost of a garage spot.
Metered parking--know your meter maid and the schedule. Usually like 2 hr max in the meter. You can sometimes stretch that to 3 or even 4 hours by knowing the schedule at at which the meters are checked.
If you park in a residential neighborhood, you must ask the person you are visiting if the space on the street that is open is safe for you to park your car in. If not, they will be harrased for your parking there.

Its all about who seems to think they own what space on the public street. Fascinating.

This comes to light for me today ---why? Because I had to go get my overnight resident parking permit today. It allows me to park on the street in front of my house for more than two hours between one am and 7 am without being ticketed or towed. There are no signs regarding this anywhere in the city--just something you should know without being told. Rolling Eyes

County road....take me home...to a place I belong

LOL
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 08:12 am
I grew up on a farm in a rural area (actually I'm there right now visiting my Dad) I never really got to see the big cities untill I joined the military and then did some travel. Most of my travel has been done alone which sucks.

good tips to remember......hmmm

the guy in the weelchair who wants your change can probably walk, there is an increased chance of this if he has a nice wheelchair.

The cops don't like tourists

"torch" type lighters can't be taken on planes but normal 1's can (this is illogical but that's air travel for you)

when your in the diamond district of NYC every 2nd person is a under cover officer.

5 star hotels have different standards from country to country. (the rating systems are always different for hotels because of living standards)

oh and a good book to improve your communication skills is "How to Win Friends and Influence People" bt Dale Carnegie. Everyone needs to read that book.
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:56 am
Quinn- I've never seen a parking meter!!

and... what is the "diamond district?"
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:12 pm
I heard somewhere that 90% of the diamonds that come into the country go through NYC, and most of them end up going through the Diamond District, which is on 47th street, a little bit east of Times Square. It's basically a one or two-block area that has tons of jewelers. I've never needed anything from there, so I don't really know much more than that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:14 pm
I think they have Diamond District tours though. Hmmm . . . maybe I'll check that out this weekend!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:25 pm
Tip cows 15%. 20% if the service was really good.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:38 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think they have Diamond District tours though. Hmmm . . . maybe I'll check that out this weekend!

I can ask my cousin if there are tours. He works in the D. District. Yes, he owns a loupe.

City stuff, city stuff, hmmm - don't buy "real" Rolexes, "real" jewelry or "real" designer anything (clothes, handbags, etc.) on the street. It's either fake or stuff that fell off the back of a truck. Tee shirts and whatnot that are sold outside of a stadium in order to commemorate something going on in that stadium (a big win, a team jersey, etc.) are not licensed merchandise and the seller is in copyright violation. Plus, a lot of it's garbage, e. g. the watches won't work, the handbags will fall apart, etc.

Real ethnic food is rarely obtained from a chain. Go to the source, which may mean heading to a particular area where people live (Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, whatever). Authenticity is more or less directly linked to who's eating at the restaurant. If they're tourists, forget it; it's about 100% certain to be an overpriced tourist trap. But if the members of that ethnicity are eating at the restaurant (Jews at the deli, Indian folk at the Indian restaurant, etc.), the chance of the food being authentic goes up quite a bit. Keep in mind, though, that authentic food of any type may not taste wonderful. If you're used to the "Italian" stylings of The Olive Garden, real Italian food will probably seem too rich.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:47 pm
jespah, I would think that the quality of almost any good 'ethnic' restaurant can be measured by the number of Jews eating there. Laughing

Another thing for soserene to remember: While you most likely won't see an SUV on the big city roads with a gun rack, loaded shotgun and a chained doberman in the back, for some reason, driving one of these things gives the owner the same sense of invincibility as the country model. Beware. These SUVs are deadly weapons, as most of the people who buy them have no clue how to drive them, especially after a sunshower or light snow flurry.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:52 pm
Diamond District tours can happen usually in a group of no more then 10. every Wednesday morning at 9:30,
$10 per person but you can get more in depth tours with a lil less ppl for a lil more cash.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:54 pm
And don't make a U-turn in the middle of a busy street unless you're in New Orleans.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 12:56 pm
Don't make fun of southern accents......you will get your ass kicked. I have a mixed canadian and southern accent so I know enough about kicking ass over accents lol....then again woman love it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 01:16 pm
If you are touring in a big American city where you fear being mugged, keep your US cash somewhere safe, and only carry Canadian money. Them gangstas don't have a clue what to do with it, and they might just leave you alone.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 04:12 pm
canadian money can be a pain, just don't keep your cash in the usual place, also don't keep it all in 1 place same goes for ID. If you don't look like a tourist you won't get jumped.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 05:36:52