Fox News Says Our Athletes are Patriotic Enough

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 12:11 pm
After all, Gabby Douglas won in pink, not red, white and blue.

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 12:29 pm
What a shame, can’t they just be happy she won, I think she is remarkable. You can’t please everyone, especially the mentally of those that watch Faux Noise.
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 06:02 pm
@jcboy,
Remember Focks NEws is the standard bearer for guys like DAve an Gungasmokke.
If it werent for the Simpsons, Focks would have nothing more entertaining than its asshole news content.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 10:00 pm
@engineer,
You're trying to make me swear a blue streak, aren't you?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:17 pm
It is not easy to yell "USA!" now that we are coming to grips with how big our problems are, and now that Obama is running around the world telling anyone who will listen how sorry he is for all the evilness that we have allegidly done.

We are acting like the failing superpower that we are. Winning metals at the Olympic does not alter the trajectory of our decline. I am told that NBC is all America all the time and is playing up how great the Americans are in London. If so this will read as irrelavant to most suffering Americans. Ya great, whatever is the proper response.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Before NBC decided to go back to the well yet again for ginned up emotional meladramas they should have paused to ponder the death of the rom-com movies. America has changed post great recession, those like NBC who are trying to push their wares on us need to get up to date, they need to give us what we want now rather than what we used to want.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2012 11:43 pm
re hawkeye: then of course there's Romney, who seems to possess the rare diplomatic talent of pissing off a different country each time he opens his mouth. And he's not even in office yet. Or hopefully ever.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:10 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Obama is running around the world telling anyone who will listen how sorry he is for all the evilness that we have allegidly done.

I must have missed this.
Which countries & what has he apologised for, exactly?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:14 am
@msolga,
I'm afraid hawk is getting his news from Faux News.
msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 12:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
So what is Fox News saying he's apologising for?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:33 am
@msolga,
I don't listen to Faux News, so I wouldn't know.
msolga

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 02:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
Fair enough. Smile
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:04 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

It is not easy to yell "USA!" now that we are coming to grips with how big our problems are...

I've seen plenty of chanting and I'm sure the fans who traveled to London are not sitting in the stands saying "I just don't see how I can cheer this year."

Quote:
We are acting like the failing superpower that we are.

If we are restricting this to cheering and displays of nationalism at the Olympics, it seems like excessive cheering is a sign of insecurity, not the other way around. I also don't think Fox made the case. I think the US uniforms represent the countries colors just fine. Serena Williams was very stylish in her blue USA outfit when she demonished Sharapova in the final. The women's gymnastic team was all red sparkles or blue sparkles when competing as a team. I heard lots of fans chanting at the beach volleyball matches. Do other countries chant at their athletes?
hingehead

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:05 am
@msolga,
He did say 'alligidly'...
hingehead

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 07:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

We are acting like the failing superpower that we are

How is it acting if that's what you are?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 10:16 am
@engineer,
Cheering for America out of insecurity was what the Iraq war was about. That turned out poorly.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 10:19 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

He did say 'alligidly'...

I have not watched the Olympics, but given where America is I would expect to see less show of patriotism there as I generally see less in America now.
0 Replies