firefly

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 08:59 pm
An interesting little piece, and video, on, "The Right to Vote."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/29/opinion/the-right-to-vote.html?ref=voterregistrationandrequirements
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:00 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
One can always count on you to post info on how to obtain anything that's illegal.

Thanks you dear, as it always nice to have ones research on the dark side of the net fully appreciated.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:19 pm
@firefly,
I was aware that Ohios"early voter"pportunity was being challenged . SO now it to is being overturned by the courts.
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:22 pm
@firefly,
we are in Sussex County Delaware right now and I have a prescription for what is a controlled substance, yet I dont need photo id . SO Im ot sure of the list of states you provided.
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, when youve lost a point (ebeths) Just be a gentleman and say, "yeh youre right"

What you see as a solution to " fraud, I see as the govt involved in actually perperating a fraud and then encroaching in an area where its really not needed.
GOP created the problem and provided a solution and you just drink the Koolaid
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
David, when youve lost a point (ebeths) Just be a gentleman and say, "yeh youre right"
That is usually what I DO, when that actually HAPPENS.
I continue in 1OO% confidence in my refutations of her allegation,
and I ratify, re-affirm, & re-iterate those refutations here
with the same force & effect, as tho set forth here, at full length.

farmerman wrote:
What you see as a solution to " fraud, I see as the govt involved in actually perperating
a fraud and then encroaching in an area where its really not needed.
NOT needed to preserve YOUR favorite party; to be CONSISTENT, u shud oppose ANY registration
and just take anyone 's word for his citizenship, his place of residence & how ofen he votes in EACH election.
I expect u to ignore my comments and pretend that I did not post them,
because u cannot defeat them.

I repeat, for maybe the 5th time (???) the right to vote
is relatively trivial when compared to the right to LIVE,
which is protected by personal gun possession, yet there was 1OO% silence
when pictures were applied to life-saving gun licenses. Voters' id. cards do not save lives; guns DO.

HOW can u reconcile the frantic outcry v. the complete silence ??????

The answer to that is that the Democrats care very little qua the Individual,
but thay care A LOT qua the life of the Democratic Party; its collectivism.

David
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 09:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
and another way that you attempt to sidestep an issue is by deftly making irrelevant substitutions of cumquats for apples.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:00 pm
@farmerman,
Y not be man enuf to address my remarks DIRECTLY???

C'mon; it 'll be fun, if u believe in what u post.
firefly

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
we are in Sussex County Delaware right now and I have a prescription for what is a controlled substance, yet I dont need photo id . SO Im ot sure of the list of states you provided.

You had to go to the Web site to see what each of those states required regarding the dispensing of controlled drugs--they did not all require a photo ID. But now that link doesn't access the correct page. Rolling Eyes Oh well, it was outdated anyway.

The dispensing laws, for controlled drugs, have gotten very tough in some states recently.

This is the current law in North Carolina--they require the same sort of government photo ID to pick up a controlled prescription that they are trying to require in Pennsylvania in order to vote.
Quote:
North Carolina Now Requires Photo Identification to Pick Up Certain CS Medications
March 14, 2012
Topics: Controlled Substances, Pharmacies, Pharmacy Staff

Effective March 1, 2012, a North Carolina law requires recipients of certain CS prescription medications to present an acceptable government-issued photo identification to pharmacy staff prior to receiving the dispensed medication. The law applies to all Schedule II CS and certain Schedule III CS and is intended to help prevent abuse of the drugs. Four types of government-issued identification are acceptable: a driver’s license, a special identification card issued by the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles, a military identification, and a passport
http://www.nabp.net/news/north-carolina-now-requires-photo-identification-to-pick-up-certain-cs-medications/

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:29 pm
@farmerman,
I just found an article that directly compares the government photo ID requirement to get controlled prescription drugs in North Carolina to the voter ID laws--since both require the same type of government-issued photo ID.
Quote:
Where is the NAACP?
By Brian Balfour | Posted in Elections & Campaigns |

With the new year comes many new laws here in North Carolina, including legislation that should have the NAACP and Democracy NC crowd up in arms. Senate Bill 474 (which actually takes effect on March 1) would require a photo ID for the purchase of certain “controlled substances” – many of which are found in prescription drugs and painkillers.

That’s right, Gov. Perdue signed into law legislation that will disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of elderly and minority citizens from their right to access medical care. And this is not the first law requiring photo ID for medicinal purposes. Included in the article about new laws taking effect in 2012 is this passage:

Starting Sunday, pharmacies will be required to enter customers into a national database when they want to buy cold medicine that contains pseudoephedrine, a key ingredient in making methamphetamine. The database will block the sale if the person has gone on a buying spree for the drug.

The state already requires stores to keep the medicine behind the counter, record buyer information and require a photo ID.

If you believe the laughable reports that up to one million North Carolina registered voters have no photo ID, then these laws would effectively block a substantial portion of our population from accessing needed medical care. (My colleague Susan Myrick previously exposed the flaws in the wildly reckless claims of the number of folks with no photo ID.)

With all their concern over legislation requiring voters show a photo ID, I am sure that groups like the NAACP and Democracy NC will be holding rallies to protest such laws disenfranchising citizens from access to medical care.

Yeah, right.
http://www.civitasreview.com/elections-campaigns/where-is-the-naacp/

Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 10:31 pm
@firefly,
there is no such thing as "right to access medical care" in the united states.

are you new?
firefly

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:04 pm
@Rockhead,
I think the point is that the same groups of people would be affected by the proposed North Carolina voter ID law as are being affected by that same state's requirement to show a government-issued photo ID in order to obtain certain prescription drugs--those that lack the requisite government-issued photo ID would be blocked from getting some of their medications as well as from voting.

I don't agree with the obvious political bias of that article, but I think they are making a valid comparison in terms of which groups suffer most by having these particular stringent ID requirements in North Carolina. And these ID requirements are not just confined to voting.

But the situation regarding a voter ID law in North Carolina is still being fought. The Republicans are now trying to get it passed for next year.
http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2012/04/mccrory_pushes_for_voter_id_law

Rockhead

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:40 pm
@firefly,
I assumed since you didn't post a comment, that you agreed in full with the author.

I see it as a case of wrong, and a national case of constitutionally very wrong...
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 12:23 am
@mesquite,
mesquite wrote:

farmerman wrote:
Are these photo ID laws going national?

Arizona passed one in 2004.

I haven't had time to read the entire thread (just up to p.7), so perhaps someone has already pointed this stuff out:

The claim that this crusade began with the national bipartisan commission involving Carter and Baker is absurd, since that commission met in 2005, after the Arizona law, passed in 2004.

As far as whether anyone will be affected:

"In 2007 ... the Washington Institute for the Study of Ethnicity and Race released a study of Indiana voters showing that among whites, the middle-aged, and the middle class, about 90 percent possessed photo ID. Among blacks, the young, and the poor--all of whom vote for Democrats at high rates--the rate was about 80 percent. Overall, 91 percent of registered Republicans had some form of photo ID, compared to only 83 percent of Democrats." -- MOTHER JONES, August 2012, p.37

(You'll find details in that article about other ways the Armies of Darkness are planning to steal this election.)

Finally, the cost of a photo ID in my state is not $6 for ten years, but $25 for five. Some weeks I just don't have $25.
roger

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 12:27 am
@Kolyo,
We'll probably disagree lots of times, Kolyo, but stick around anyway. That was well presented.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 05:04 am
@firefly,
sounds good, sounds innocuou. BUT, by their fruits shall we know them. Tying it together with the need for a photo id for meds i not bd IF , in PA< It were done in naturl course of time and not waiting for a rapid implementation 70 days before an important election and then insisting that its to "prevent a crime" that apparently only exists in Absentee Ballot. (where photo ids arent asked for)

The rabid GOPers and Dave are just ignoring facts and trying to see this thing bullsozed into an implementation that will disenfranchise several segments of the population including non driving senior citizens
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 05:09 am
@firefly,
Is the med ID card a valid card to use for voting in NC?

If this law were put into effect not in uch a big election busting hurry, Id probably support a combination med/voter photo id. Thats because most old folks have a close connection with their doctors and are always getting prescriptions.
Also the poor in inner cities use hospital E wards for health maintenance. It would be easy to use that part of a system to make such cards available

HOWEVER, as Ive been saying throughout this thread (despite the idiotic protewtations about some imaginary fraud). NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO DO IT>

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 05:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Y not be man enuf to address my remarks DIRECTLY???

C'mon; it 'll be fun, if u believe in what u post.
STILL no answer from the farmer. . . .
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 05:59 am
@farmerman,
You know Farmerman David support of rigging elections by the GOP is similar to the actions that his hero the dirty commies might be guilty of!!!

Of course if the commies would had taken the right to have a said in their own government from people that is a sin and those damn commies should be kill but if the GOP does the same thing oh well it all for the best.

Frankly David the ends justify the means, as far as getting a government he care to see in power, had sadly greatly reduce the respect I hold for the man.
JTT

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2012 08:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
STILL no answer from the farmer. . . .

You really have no conception of the word 'hypocrisy', do you, Dave? Of course, neither does Farmer. Or FireFly, or ... .
0 Replies