Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:25 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
How much did it cost? 'cause, you really ought to add that amount to the considerations of the Poll Tax you are supporting.

I honetly don't remember what it cost, but I think it was under $10. But I've had to obtain copies through the years for other reasons as well, and it was never very expensive.

The voter ID card in Pennsylvania will be free to those who qualify, and it will not require a birth certificate. So, where's the "Poll Tax?"

According to what I can find, the voter ID card DOES require a birth certificate. And if you are married and your name changed, it also requires a marriage certificate. Where are you getting the info that it doesn't?

http://www.padems.com/content/voteridinfo

Cycloptichorn
Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:26 pm
bump
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:28 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Ten years so Firefly would have needed to be more then 72 years old and more likely 75 years old assuming they stop demanding such paperwork just ten years ago a few moments before you apply.

Nope, I'm not that old. It hasn't been 10 years since I applied for SS and stood on those long lines for hours.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:29 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Well, it hasn't been 10 years since I applied for SS, and I had to do in person at a very crowded SS office with very long lines.

OK they begin allowing applying for SS online in Nov. of 2000 so you are bullshitting once more.

I guess once more you did not think anyone would checked on your claims.

Shame shame pants on fire...........................

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/history/pdf/2005pamphlet.pdf

Page 26

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
According to what I can find, the voter ID card DOES require a birth certificate

Not if the person can't produce one. That's the advantage of the voter ID card over the non-driver ID.

I posted info about the new Penn. voter ID card earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Secretary of Commonwealth Announces New Voter ID Card

HARRISBURG, Pa., July 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Secretary of the Commonwealth Carol Aichele today announced the creation of a new card that can be issued to voters who need photo identification under Pennsylvania's voter ID law.

The Department of State voter cards, which will be issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, will be available to registered voters who are not able to provide all of the documents they would normally need to obtain a photo ID from PennDOT, such as a birth certificate.

"As we work to ensure that Pennsylvanians have the identification they need to vote this fall, this new card will provide another photo ID option for voters," Aichele said.

"We believe these new cards will be a safety net for those who may not currently possess all of the documents they need for a standard photo ID from PennDOT. Our goals are to continue making voters aware of the new voter ID law and helping those who may not have proper identification obtain it," she added.

The new voter photo identification cards are scheduled to be available at PennDOT's Drivers License Centers beginning the last week of August. The identification cards can be issued to registered voters who may not have all of the documents necessary to obtain a non-driver's license photo ID from PennDOT, primarily a birth certificate.

The IDs, which are free, will be issued to voters for a 10-year period and can only be used for voting purposes. For Pennsylvania-born voters, PennDOT will still use the process of confirming birth records electronically with the Pennsylvania Department of Health to issue non-driver's license photo IDs for voting.

When requesting these IDs, voters will need to affirm they do not possess any other approved identification for voting purposes. They will be asked to provide two proofs of residence, such as a utility bill, along with their date of birth and Social Security number, if the customer has an assigned number. PennDOT will validate the voter registration status with the Department of State while the voter is in the PennDOT office. Upon confirmation of this information, the voter will be issued the voter card before leaving the PennDOT facility.

These cards will be issued by PennDOT up to and through Election Day, Nov. 6, 2012, and thereafter.

"The creation of these voter cards is an important step in the implementation of the voter ID law," Aichele said. "Everyone who needs ID to vote will be able to get it months before the election," she added.

Visit the Department of State online at www.dos.state.pa.us.

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1iuQK)
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/secretary-of-commonwealth-announces-new-voter-id-card-163196226.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:33 pm
@firefly,
Not to mention that it was in the lifetime of many still alive that a birth certificate was a written note in the family bible.

Hell it was not that long ago either that most births happen at home in fact my mother was born at home.
firefly

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 04:37 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Hell it was not that long ago either that most births happen at home in fact my mother was born at home.

And her birth was never registered?

Even people born at home have birth certificates issued.
BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:01 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Even people born at home have birth certificates issued.

Some do and some do not........birth certificates was hardly universal in the lifetimes of many.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:05 pm
@firefly,
That's true; I know because I was born in a private home with the assistance of a midwife. I have a birth certificate.

Really, I'm an American citizen.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Really, I'm an American citizen.

So am I. But the only way I can prove it is through my naturalization certificate. I actually have no birth certificate, no record of my birth (in any language).
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I wonder if my service in the USAF for four years proves I'm an American?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Oh, yeah, I have one of those Honorable Discharges from the US Army, too. Not sure that it proves anything or would be acceptable as identification anywhere except an American Legion post.
BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:42 pm
http://cliotropic.org/blog/talks/undocumented-citizens-aha-2010/

State offices were overwhelmed partially because most of them had only existed for a few decades; modern compulsory birth registration systems in the US were generally a Progressive-era reform designed to generate more precise infant mortality numbers. They were woefully incomplete in most states until the 1920s or early 1930s. Someone who was 25 years old in 1941 was born in 1916, when less than one-third of the American population lived in a state which registered 90 percent or more of each year’s births.20 By 1922, only 29 states met that 90 percent standard, which was set by the US Census Bureau in 1915 to encourage better state birth registration laws.21

Georgians who needed birth certificates during the early 1940s were coping with the unexpected consequences of government decisions made during the 1910s. Until 1914, their elected officials hadn’t thought birth registration was important enough to bother passing a compulsory registration law. The statute didn’t go into operation until 1919. Moreover, in 1924 the state supreme court struck down the law as unconstitutional, and it wasn’t until 1927 that a functional birth registration law actually went into practice. So Georgia’s 21-year-olds in 1940 might have had birth certificates, but older people didn’t unless they were born in a city that had its own birth registration law.17

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That nice that you have a birth cert and was born at home however see my posting that birth certs was hardly universal even in to the 1940s.

Now once more with zero or near zero evidences of voters fraud being a problem why are we interfere with people right to vote other then to get more GOP candidates into office that is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 05:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
You should see my dad's birth certificate from Hawaii. LOL
Mame

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 06:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'd rather see Obama's (lol)

seriously though... why is it so interesting? Was it written on bark or something? Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:00 pm
@Mame,
Well, with age, the paper is torn and worn in many places - barely holding together through less handling. Also, the birth certificate was prepared after he was one years old. I think that was "typical" in old Hawaii.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, we take things slow and laid-back here. Birth certificate? Sure, we'll make one out, but what's your hurry?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
That's true; I know because I was born in a private home with the assistance of a midwife.
Did she drop u on the floor ??
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 07:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, Is that the best you can do as an insult? A loser in every way.
0 Replies