NRA's political power extent

hilbert

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 04:52 pm
"We do absolutely anything they ask and we NEVER cross them", says a Congressional aide.

http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/extent-nras-power?akid=9120.197927.SW8H5i&rd=1&src=newsletter681334&t=9
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 838 • Replies: 4
No top replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 06:44 pm
@hilbert,
Good idea. Otherwise they might send one of their gun nuts to blow your head off.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:06 pm
@hilbert,
Absolutely true. The NRA has what might be arguably the most powerful lobby in Washington,D.C. More potent than the Maffia (and that's saying something!). That's why there is no chance that any significant gun control legislation could be enacted in the forseeable future.

Which, to me, makes it all the more ludicrous that some gun enthusiasts get all in a panic whenever any such gun controls are suggested or a bill is actually introduced in Congress which seems to go against Second Amendment rights. There's no cause for panic. No such legislation can ever get anywhere and if you're an NRA member you should be well aware of that.

In part, here's how it works: you see some apparently left-leaning legislators actually introduce gun control bills and speak in favor of limiting certain rights. They usually come from blue state urban areas where such a stand is popular with their constituency. They are in no danger of losing NRA backing, btw, because the only reason they're so vociferous about gun control is because they know that their proposed legislation doesn't have a chance. If they thought a bill like that could pass, they'd disown it, yank it, vote against their own proposal, anything so it doesn't go through. But they're safe. They've made some home folks happy that they seem to be doing something when, in fact, is all for show.

I love how our government works. No need to watch late-night stand-up comics at all. Just follow the doings of Congress.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:50 am
@hilbert,
hilbert wrote:
"We do absolutely anything they ask and we NEVER cross them", says a Congressional aide.

http://www.alternet.org/hot-news-views/extent-nras-power?akid=9120.197927.SW8H5i&rd=1&src=newsletter681334&t=9

The NRA is indeed a comfort. It's nice to have such a powerful group defending my freedom.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 01:50 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Which, to me, makes it all the more ludicrous that some gun enthusiasts get all in a panic whenever any such gun controls are suggested or a bill is actually introduced in Congress which seems to go against Second Amendment rights. There's no cause for panic. No such legislation can ever get anywhere and if you're an NRA member you should be well aware of that.

It's not panic. It's indignation.

Americans may be in a position to prevent our civil rights from being violated, but we still don't like it when people demand to violate our rights.
0 Replies