Ann Romney's Horse Aims for Olympic Glory

hilbert

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 04:36 pm
Root, root, all red-blooded Americans for Ann Romney's horse with a terraz0-tiled, brass fitting stable after the mare jetted over the Atlantic to compete in the "Dassage" competition for horse/rider performance.

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/61594-ann-romneys-horse-aims-for-olympic-glory
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,275 • Replies: 18
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 04:42 pm
@hilbert,
"dressage"
hilbert

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks!
It is a new word for me and I know no French
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 05:01 pm
@hilbert,
its just a really idiotic sport for the 0.0001%ers where everyone dresses up in top hats and jodfers, must look like a twit , must sit atop a braided underweight warm blooded horse who prances around a ring to certain step routines. The rider gets the medal for looking like he or she has a rod up its ass, but the horse does all the work

0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 05:08 pm
@hilbert,
How sybaritic.
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 05:18 pm
@LionTamerX,
only if the equestrienne are female, otherwise its a very effeminate "Sport"
RABEL222

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 06:41 pm
@farmerman,
Dosent every american own a therobred?
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:42 pm
@RABEL222,
and we all eat brie and caviar for breakfass, washed down with a decent Taittingers

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 08:53 pm
How speciesist can you get? GIVE THE MEDAL TO THE HORSE.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 11:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
But he isent a people, only people and corporations can get medals.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:48 am
@hilbert,
Wealth doesn't make insignificant the kind of dedication and skill that allows any rider to be good enough to compete at the elite level.

It's way less dumb, to my mind, than chasing balls around, and harder, because you have to form a synthesis with another being.

I can see people resenting the wealth, but I think it petty to denigrate her skill. You'd better resent all the wealthy if you are going to be consistent.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 03:51 am
@dlowan,
its a very benevolent training program you must dmit. The equestrian team training consists of spening ones life merely astride a horse and not worrying a jot about ones own physical shape and stamina.
"Chasing balls around" requires eye /hand foot coordination and terrific stamina. An athletic skill is not riding horsies. We live among dressge champs (three of this yer horses are from our area) and often the riders have NO association with the horse. AT least teh Queens grandniece owns the horse she rode.

Any human endeavor that is partially assessed on the basis of ones attire needs to be viewed with suspicion .
dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:19 am
@farmerman,
Nonsense. If one is to be a top competitor in equestrian events you need to be in bloody good shape.

I dont believe they have no association with the horse. They may cheat and have little in the USA (certainly not the same here) but no horse will compete at that level without time with the rider.

Calling a horse a horsie is not an argument...it's silly. I'd love to see you do it.

Aren't your ball chasers expected to wear uniforms?
dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

only if the equestrienne are female, otherwise its a very effeminate "Sport"

Crap. Lots of top dressage riders are male. Also, isn't the Olympic dressage part of a three day event? That's only for fools and the very brave.

Calling something effeminate is ignorant and rather Neanderthal. I thought much better of you. I'd not have gone NEAR a cross country course even at my most foolish.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:26 am
@dlowan,
many horse owners hire a rider who becomes an employee of the farm. Thats just like a jockey in racing. I didnt say that you could be in bad shape, I just said that phyical condition isnt the major determinant, Training for the rider doesnt take years like in archery or "kicking a ball"

I see riders come and go at our neighbor outfit. His is a corporation that markets horses for dressage , so hving great stock, well trained , and then, acclimated to a specific rider, i the way most of th world does it. "National Velvet" is just a movie.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:36 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Calling a horse a horsie is not an argument...it's silly. I'd love to see you do it.
Found me out did you.
AS far as "You try it", I have , several times and all at the insistance of friends who do live horsie lives. I believe the Insutrial Rvolution made us left dependent on livstock for travel (unless were Amish)

njoy the horsies, they are fun albeit anachronystically so, IMHO.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 04:50 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Calling something effeminate is ignorant and rather Neanderthal. I thought much better of you
We must learn to divorce our arguments from intended ad hominems. I thought better of you too. Try to convince me of the correctness of your view, dont try to ridicule me into seeing your point, its gonna have the opposite effect. (My new mantra is"First guy to lose his or her cool has lost the game")
My opinion is based upon 30 years of experience living among dressage havens, carriage teams and dray horse competition, all srrounded by AMish who use horses like real tools, its still mychoice and observation.
Id put up any average Amish farm kids horse handling skills against most of these dandied overdressed horse toppers.
The competition is hardly based upon a n exceptionally skilled athlete , its more like the subjectivity of Olympic Ice dancing and figure skating except the horse is the athlete.

Most of these horses know their routines and many times I see, at my beighbors, where a trainer keeps a horse on a long tether and the hrse goes through the gate walks WITH NO RIDER ATOP.
That is quite telling.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 06:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The equestrian team training consists of spening ones life merely astride a horse and not worrying a jot about ones own physical shape and stamina.

you are nuts if that's what you believe. I've got some friends/acquaintances involved with various equestrian events and it is very physically and mentally demanding. They work out a lot, on their own and with the teams of horses they work with.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 06:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Training for the rider doesnt take years like in archery or "kicking a ball"
it takes decades
0 Replies