Creationism is the claim. What is the evidence?

Moo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:46 am
thanks, I found a site which tried to give some sort of credible explanation for it (along with the Tower Of Babalon, where God created the different languages). Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:21 am
That's Babel, not Babalon. Babylon is someplace else.
0 Replies

Moo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 05:35 am
oh yeah, thanks... thought it sounded weird when I typed that. Smile
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 06:12 am
Am I the only one to think: Just because evolution might not be the way it happened(it _might_ _could_ have happened, it's a theory so far. Just because it could have happened that way doesn't make it true) that the bible is right. Can't we just trow it all away and face the fact that there's (maybe just a slim) a possibility that we just don't have a clue and aren't even close to discovering how it DID happen?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 08:44 am
ReX wrote:
.... it's a theory so far.....

*grits teeth*
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:32 am
Did God also create the Chinese language in the Bible?

How about the Incan and Mayan languages.

Certainly must have someone in charge of demographics.

:wink: Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Moo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:12 am
i've just watched a couple of these seminars, awesome stuff ( Wink ):

http://www.drdino.com/Downloads/Seminar/vids/index.jsp

these are good too:

Penn and Teller BS s01e08 - Creationism
Penn and Teller BS s02e06 - The Bible Fact or Fiction
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:14 am
You're lucky if all you're doing is gritting your teeth, IronLion. I'm throwing and breaking things.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 11:16 am
The recent PBS series on evolution should have put some food for thought into those who still cling to creationism. I doubt they would expose themselves to the most recent knowledge -- they only do that to choir boys.

(No letters, please, it's a joke). Very Happy
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 08:09 am
chiso wrote:
Variation would support a Genesis creation claim as much, actually more, than big-honker finches would evolution. What half intelligent bible thumper would claim there were a pair of poodles, german shepherds, st bernards, wolves, jackals, foxes, etc., all on Noah's Ark. Not to mention a pair of Aborigenies, a pair of Jews, a pair of Eskimos, a pair of Pygmys, etc. The Genesis story requires rapid species variations.

Actually, podles, st. Bernards, wolves, and jackals are all members of the same species because they can all breed together and produce fertile offspring.

SO the ark would only need the grey wolf (their most likely common anscestor.)

St. Bernards, Poodles, and Shepards as they are now did not exist until the industrial revolution.

The fact that breeding and separation has created such drastic changes in these creatures - without having yet seperated them as a species - is evidence of natural selection, one of the stages of evolution. As you can see, the species is changing over time. For evolution to be completed, the species would need to drift so far apart that they could no longer interbreed.
0 Replies

spencerswede

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
There aren't actually people who still believe that God created all the languages and that some old fool built a big boat and actually shoved 2 of everything on it...... are there? And if so, wouldn't they be ashamed to admit that in a public setting?

Has nobody been polite enough to tap these folks on the shoulder and a) point out the absurdity of such things and b) let them in on the secret that the biblical flood fable was simply a rehashing of a MUCH older story that had been told and retold in many different versions by many different peoples? If nobody has clued them in then someone should..... so they won't continue thinking their 'Christian' story is unique, original, and accurate. So sad.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:07 am
Those bible story writers didn't have the information on dinosaurs. LOL
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:17 am
Yes, can you imagine hording two Tyrannosaurus Rex into the ark? I realize that all the animals were made magically tame but they must have taken a hell of a lot of dinosaur feed aboard to feed those two critters!

There are catastrophic flood stories in many mythologies -- just do some research and it's remarkable how they resembled one another. It has been researched on the spot that the Black Sea may have overflowed and flooded out the towns at its edge in the distant past before historical records were reliable. There were no slaves building Egyptian tombs, et al because the Egyptians did not have slaves. They took the people who were captured in battles and made them citizens. The pyramids and temples were built by ordinary citizens. THere are many more.

It's amazing how much historical, archaeological and palaeontological research can be rationalized and brushed aside by those who are ignorant even if they believe they have a mission.
0 Replies

spencerswede

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 04:07 pm
Quote:
I realize that all the animals were made magically tame but they must have taken a hell of a lot of dinosaur feed aboard to feed those two critters!

LOL! I know, it's too funny. But don't tell fundamentalists about dinosaurs.... they can't compute things like that because they just....don't....fit.

Not that it's important but I've gotta add that it was the Romans who took captured peoples and made them citizens. I believe the Egyptians most certainly did have slaves. They were quite fond of the practice. Definately NOT a nice culture to live in.....then or now.
0 Replies

Moo

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 04:31 pm
spencerswede wrote:
There aren't actually people who still believe that God created all the languages and that some old fool built a big boat and actually shoved 2 of everything on it...... are there? And if so, wouldn't they be ashamed to admit that in a public setting?

watch some of these mate (this guy believes everything in the Bible is to be taken literally):

http://www.drdino.com/Downloads/Seminar/vids/index.jsp

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Some of his debates against Evolutionists are entertaining too, he uses the most absurd examples to try and debunk evolution theories (he rarely gives evidence for his own claims, he basically tries to take the piss out of evolution by using out-of-date material).
He thinks radiocarbon dating is BS, it's impossible to calculate the distance of distant stars etc., and that anyone who supports evolution has been lied to by the devil. That'll give you some idea of what to expect. Smile

There's a load of sites ripping on him too, I'm working my way through this one at the moment:

http://www.geocities.com/kenthovind/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:14 pm
I wrote my thesis in history at UCLA on ancient Egypt just about the time the scholars were refuting that Egypt had slavery per se. The word translated to slave is unsubstatiated and the latest scholarly studies are almost overwhelmingly in concurance that Egypt did not generally practice slavery. There may have been household "slaves" which were actually servents who were given a space to live and sustenance but were also paid a salary.

If you enter "ancient Egypt, slavery" in Google you'll get references but they are not very authoritarian. I would have to pull some of the latest books out of my library to quote what is stated about slavery in ancient Egypt. I'm really not going to spend the time right now as I don't have it to spend. This isn't from just my reference but documentaries on the building of the pyramids and other structures which they are now sure were built mainly by agricultural workers in the outseasons of crops. If there were any slaves, it was the exception and not the norm.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 06:15 pm
Slavery on the scale described in the Exodus is just plainly someone's pipe dream and I'm sure some of us would like to have what they put in that pipe.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 07:02 pm
I have visited Egypt twice with my first visit in 1998. Even back then, we were told by our Egyptologist that most believed that the pyramids were built by Eqyptians and not Jews. Subsequent to that visit, they found the location of where the workers lived during the building of the pyramids, and have found artifacts to prove that Eqyptians did indeed build the pyramids.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 12:16 am
ReX wrote:
.... it's a theory so far.....

I wonder if typing slower will get this through. I will try this once again.

The term theory has a very different meaning in science compared to the general use of the word. The colloquial us of "theory" comes close to what scientists mean by a "hypothesis". In science, a theory is more comprehensive than a hypothesis. A theory, such as Newton's theory of gravitation or Darwin's theory of natural selection, accounts for many facts and attempts to explain a great variety of phenomena. Such unifying theories do not become widely accepted in science unless their predictions stand up to thorough and continual testing by experiments and observations.
Debates about evolutionary theory are like arguments over competing theories abouth gravity; we know that objects keeep right on falling while we debate the cause.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2004 01:03 am
You mean I can take the velcro off the bottoms of my shoes?
0 Replies