Evolution VS. Creationism

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2012 08:21 pm
At the end of the semester my biology class will be having a disscussion board about evolutionism and creationism. I could be put on either side, evolution or creationism. I have no problem with this, but it does present the fact that I dont know how to support creationism with logical things that would make an evolutionist sit down and think "Thats a good point". I was wondering if anyone would have a good idea on what I should say incase I am put on the creationist side. I should also note that I will need things based on science, since its a biology class I can't use anything similar to "Well the bible says so"

Anyone experienced with this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,679 • Replies: 4
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 01:10 am
@Palatidd,
Welcome to A2K palatidd.

Since the theory of evolution is essentially an explanation that fits the scientific evidence and creationism has no supporting scientific evidence I'd say you are in a world of hurt if you have to attempt to support creationism scientifically. About the best you can do is attempt to poke holes in the evidence supporting evolution.

We have a member here that frequently starts topics attempting to refute evolution. Here are a few of them.
The Question of Flight Feathers
New chimp genome findings annihilate evolution
The Basic Non Evolution of Modern Man

You may find something you can use in this one.
Are there any flaws in the Theory of Evolution?

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 05:55 am
@Palatidd,
Is this a college course or a high school course?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 06:25 am
@Palatidd,
You could throw a monkey wrench into the discussion by suggesting: "Why not evolution AND creationism?

If there is a GOD...the GOD could have chosen to "create" humans...and the GOD could have chosen to do it via the standard evolutionary model.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2012 07:47 am
@Palatidd,
In order to discuss these ideas together you will have to make sure the discussion is expanded beyond science. Within Science the basic fact of evolution is unassailable, and Creationism is inviable.

If you expand the discussion into theology you can argue (as Frank suggests) that a magical God could have created the process of evolution and made it appear completely natural to us (which is does).

If you expand the discussion even further into philosophy then you could argue that reality is just a dream and that nothing is real.

But if you limit your discussion to the rules of science, then Creationism is just a fantasy.
0 Replies