RIP Sherman Hemsley, 74...

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 06:36 am
@MMarciano,
gosh I didn't know that - about Helen being Lenny Kravitz's mom - interesting...who really cares about the gay thing - just found it an interesting though when the radio show mentioned it seems that people are often outed simply because they never married. They pointed out - how many of you have aunts/uncles that never married and everyone wonders if they are gay/lesbian...
Lash

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:10 pm
@Linkat,
haha. My never-married distant-relative-type aunt was gay as hell. Also an incredible person. Pretty effin brave to dress like a man, etc. in the deep south. I guess it's not as dangerous for women.

Question for all of you who want to be on record as not caring about whether or not he was gay - or anyone else floating by with an opinion:

Why is it de rigueur to champion Sally Ride's sexual orientation upon her death, and to note disinterest in Sherman Helmsley's?
Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:25 pm
@Lash,
The accomplishment of Sally Ride's was far greater (being a lady astronaut ...and being strapped on top of an explosive missile for the purpose of advancement of science.

Sherman Helmsley's accomplishment ... as entertaining as it was....is that he stood in front of hot spotlights being funny while reading a memorized script.

I really could care less about either of their sexual preferences.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:32 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
I really could care less about either of their sexual preferences.

My sentiments exactly. Didn't realize anyone had made a big deal about Sally Ride's orientation.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:43 pm
@Lash,
I don't think other people's sexual orientation is any of my business.

I'm ok with whatever people want to tell me/others about their sexuality, but I'm not going to ask them to tell me what their sexual preferences are.

Ms Ride apparently revealed her sexual orientation. I don't know if Mr. Helmsley did. In both cases, it doesn't have any effect on what I think about their work.

None of my beeswax.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 10:23 pm
I hadn't known Ride was gay until I read it here...and I read MANY blogs and opinions about her - all championing her sexual identity. So, the world is throwing confetti and talking about Sally's sex.

Yet, I get crap for asking if Helmsley had come out. Seems weird to me.

Whatever.
Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 06:22 am
@Ragman,
I'd agree with this assessment - also for a woman during that time period it was a huge accomplishment - especially in such a male dominant industry. In a sense she paved a way for other women.

Although Hemsley was a fantastic comedian/actor - he didn't make they same sort of impact in history.

And besides that I'd think "Hollywood" would be more accepting of a gay man that perhaps in Sally Ride's industry...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 06:23 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Now her sexual perference doesn't seem to be a big deal - although when she made history it was a different story.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 06:25 am
@Lash,
did you get crap? If from me I didn't mean it that way - just making an observation as it timed nicely from what I heard on the radio.

Like others really none of my business - and doesn't matter.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 02:43 pm
Geez, this poor man is finally going to be laid to rest.

Judge: Sherman Hemsley Can Finally Be Buried

Quote:
Three and a half months after his death from lung cancer, actor Sherman Hemsley will finally be allowed a burial.

A judge ruled Friday that Flora Enchinton Bernal, a longtime female friend and business partner of Hemsley's, can take over his estate and proceed with burying the actor, who starred in The Jeffersons and Amen. Hemsley's body has been refrigerated in an El Paso funeral home since his death on July 24 thanks to a legal tussle between Bernal and Hemsley's half-brother, who had his own plans for Hemsley's funeral.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:49 pm
They don't release bodies without being 100% certain it won't came back to bite them. When a friend of mine died, he had no known family. He had told us long before that his parents were dead. It took his closest friend a long time and much persistence to get the body released to her.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
he weighed 145 so we need to defrost sherman at about 1 hour per pound. Its best done in a fridge. Never, ever thaw a body by dunking it in hot water/
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 03:56 pm
@farmerman,
Couldn't they just plant him cold?
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think theres some kind of law that requires embalming Sp hed need to be frost free to pump all the fomalin into his veins and arteries
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:10 pm
@farmerman,
They could speed it up by finding another freshly-deceased and switch heads (for the viewing and all)
jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 04:17 pm
@farmerman,
I had a friend whose grand parents lived in Maine. His Grandfather died during the winter and they couldn’t bury him because the ground was frozen. If you die in the winter they stack up the bodies until spring.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 05:26 pm
@jcboy,
A gal friend of my wife's had the same problem. She was from Freeport, Maine but was living in Boston at the time of her death. The body was released to her family and shipped back to Maine for burial. This was in, like, November of the year. She was finally buried in April of next year when the ground was finally soft enough to be broken for a grave to be dug.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 05:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Seems like they would poll the likely diers and dig the holes a few months in advance.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 09:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
That's another "good" reason why I chose cremation.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2012 09:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Me too, Tak. But there are some people whose cultural traditions won't allow that.