Lash

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:34 am
I shouldn't watch the View. (wince) They are all out for this guy's blood. The Christians and the agnostics on the show all think he should be delivered to the families of the murdered.

Am I not horrified enough for the murdered people? I feel like I am, but the idea of frying this man is equally horrifying to me. I mean, who wants to act like he knew what he was doing?

The women on the View remarked that the murderer was doing a great acting job, pretending to be dazed and confused in court. I guess they don't realize that when you seem like you're suffering from mental illness in an incarcerated situation - they drug you.

He is hitting on most of the criteria for a psychotic break.

I know we have real pain for the lives that were cut short - but does our knowledge that this guy's mind was ******* with him in a major way ameliorate our desire to kill him?

He could be your kid - innocent of the black cloud that has been sitting in his head, possibly not even remembering when it rained hell.

What have you been thinking and feeling about him and his situation this week?

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:49 am
@Lash,
No because I do not believe in the death penalty. Obviously anyone who would kill another person has some sort of mental issue. It is not "normal" to kill another person. However, being legally sane is much different than the run of the mill insane defination.

And from his actions - well planned out and so forth, it would seem he is legally sane. He should spend the rest of his life in jail - he killed and meant to kill many people and tried to kill even more - not to mention all the explosives in his apartment. \

yes he may be a bit crazy, but he did plan to kill as many people as possible and was sane enough to pull it off so his punishment should fit the crime.
JPB

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:53 am
That it's way too early to have an opinion. I don't know enough to have even an inkling of what he was dealing with. He killed 12 people and shot 50-60 others. Of that there's no doubt. I have tremendous compassion for the victims and their loved ones. My feelings about him, compassion for his family, and what should happen in the name of justice are on hold.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 11:58 am
@JPB,
I'm mostly anti-death penalty, in big part because our justice system is very unfair and corrupt in many places.

that said, this is one instance where I think a public hanging would be appropriate. if done in a swift and timely manner...
Lash

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:11 pm
@Linkat,
Hi Linkat. Thanks for answering.

Do you think it would change your opinion at all if you discovered that this guy had been hearing frightening, penetrating voices in his head for months - convincing him that he must do this? What if he was convinced he was taking orders from God - or his own personal god? Most schizophrenics (my bet currently) suffer from this type of religious ideation.

Everyone else - thanks for your opinions. I'm following comments.
boomerang

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:14 pm
I just posted this on David's thread but it seems more appropriate here:

Quote:
There is a neuroscience forum I occasionally lurk on, today I stopped in there to see if they were talking about this and of course they were.

One person wrote I'll bet he has a tumor pressing against his amygdala and some of the others agreed.

I googled around and came across this: http://brainmind.com/Case5.html

Pretty interesting.

I don't have the foggiest notion if this is the problem but it did make me wonder -- if whatever caused him to do this can be repaired* what in the world would we do with him then?

* I don't even know if there is surgery available to remove this kind of tumor. I'm just speculating. From a philosophical/ethical standpoint it's an interesting thing to consider.....
DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I'm mostly anti-death penalty, in big part because our justice system is very unfair and corrupt in many places.

that said, this is one instance where I think a public hanging would be appropriate. if done in a swift and timely manner...

Yeah. This is one case where I'm glad of the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment not because it protects the criminal, but because it protects us against ourselves.

Personally, I could watch this guy die screaming. But I'm also glad that I won't be able to make that happen.
Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:31 pm
@Lash,
No matter - he is a danger to society - at the very least he should be in mental facility where he cannot do harm to others. It is in part justice for the victims and also in part for everyone else's safety.

I am not confident if he is mentally ill that he could be released saying he is recovered - some people are just insane and deadly. Some are insane and evil. Some are just plain old evil.

I agree it isn't black and white - and what sort of justice is it - to cold blooded murdering him as well (I know others may not consider it murder and I certainly wouldn't lose sleep if he was convicted and sentenced to the death penalty).
But on surface - he should be locked up and not allowed out.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:31 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I shouldn't watch the View. (wince) They are all out for this guy's blood. The Christians and the agnostics on the show all think he should be delivered to the families of the murdered.

Am I not horrified enough for the murdered people? I feel like I am, but the idea of frying this man is equally horrifying to me. I mean, who wants to act like he knew what he was doing?

The women on the View remarked that the murderer was doing a great acting job, pretending to be dazed and confused in court. I guess they don't realize that when you seem like you're suffering from mental illness in an incarcerated situation - they drug you.

He is hitting on most of the criteria for a psychotic break.

I know we have real pain for the lives that were cut short - but does our knowledge that this guy's mind was ******* with him in a major way ameliorate our desire to kill him?

He could be your kid - innocent of the black cloud that has been sitting in his head, possibly not even remembering when it rained hell.

What have you been thinking and feeling about him and his situation this week?
I have no emotions about the event or him,
but I have never accepted the filosofy of the M' Naughton Rule.
I believe that criminal defendants shud be treated
according to what thay have DONE, not their filosofical beliefs.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:33 pm
@boomerang,
That is interesting - a medical issue - the one thing though. Say it could be solved medically, if he was release afterwards, he would be at the world's mercy. I doubt he would survive long...

Anyone ever see Clockwork Orange?
0 Replies

MrIntegrity

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:36 pm
@Lash,
Sometimes I think he was a CIA pastsy or something, possibly druged and force to commit this crime.

I find it very interesting that this horrible event took place right about the same time the UN writes up a gun treaty, Something like this happening would surly increase the likely hood of America signing this treaty.

I'm just saying we shouldn't always take something at face value, unless information comes from a trusted friend. What I'm sayin is we should always concider the interconnected-ness of our world. & coinincedences probably arn't as common as we would like to think they are.

I would also like to suggest you, as I have, write a letter to congress asking them not to sign the UN treaty. Yes guns are dangerous, but if cops carry guns then so should innocent civilians. Think about it, if cops have guns criminals will carry guns whether or not the UN bans them. Innocent people need a way of protecting themselfs from criminals who illegaly obtain guns.

I'm not a religious person but I did find this quote, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (I think?)

Stand up for your rights, and especailly your second ammendmant right. Smile Peace.
roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:16 pm
@MrIntegrity,
CIA patsy? You can't possibly be serious.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Yeah. This is one case where I'm glad of the prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment not because it protects the criminal, but because it protects us against ourselves.

Personally, I could watch this guy die screaming. But I'm also glad that I won't be able to make that happen.

I agree completely.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:58 pm
@MrIntegrity,
Having read that tripe, I'm begining to wonder if you're not even more sick than this perp. That is paranoia of a very serious order.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:58 pm
The more I read about it, the more I just think it's a horrible, horrible tragedy for all involved.

My heart bleeds for the victims, for the parents of this guy, and for him as representative of a life that started out looking out so, so promising and went so very, very wrong.

I feel sort of the same way that I did for Andrea Yates in her situation.

The only reason I'd want to see him dead is because I think that once he comes to himself and realizes what he did, he'll probably WISH he was dead.

There's no peace and/or mental reconciliation to be found in any of it as far as I'm concerned. It's just a tragedy - pure and simple.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:07 am
@Lash,
I don't want to see this man dead. I don't support the death penalty.

I would like to see him incarcerated for the rest of his life in either a prison or a forensic psychiatric facility (a psychiatric facility for the criminally insane), depending on the legal outcome of the case. I just don't want him free to ever live in society again.

I wasn't even happy with the fact that Timothy McVeigh received the death penalty--although if there ever was a case that justified the death penalty, that was it--he killed 168 people.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:28 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
And from his actions - well planned out and so forth, it would seem he is legally sane. He should spend the rest of his life in jail - he killed and meant to kill many people and tried to kill even more - not to mention all the explosives in his apartment

about that

Quote:
Neighbors and students in the North Aurora neighborhood where Holmes lived said Holmes' withdrawal from the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus a month before the shooting would likely have triggered his eviction from the building, which is reserved for people affiliated with the school.
Officials at the University of Colorado have said Holmes was enrolled in the school's Ph.D. neuroscience program, but he withdrew last month.
Nine days before the shooting, Holmes was seen on Paris Street, asking landlords and neighbors if anyone was aware of a vacant apartment in the area, several neighbors told Reuters

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-shooting-suspect-likely-facing-eviction-neighbors-011835284.html

Nine days before he was expecting to need a place to live. WTF happened over those nine days?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 12:30 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
that said, this is one instance where I think a public hanging would be appropriate. if done in a swift and timely manner..

Of course there is no need to figure out if he is insane, or if he reached out for help but did not get it. Norms of civilized behavior mean nothing to you do they...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 02:48 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I don't have the foggiest notion if this is the problem but it did make me wonder -- if whatever caused him to do this can be repaired* what in the world would we do with him then?

There was an episode of Star Trek Voyager that featured a subject similar to that.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Iko

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Repentance_%28episode%29
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 10:32 am
James Holmes, the man accused of opening fire this month inside an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater, has been officially charged with a total of 142 counts, including first degree murder in relation to the shooting.

That includes 24 counts of murder, 116 counts of attempted murder, and one count of possession of explosives.