Replacing a garden window with a patio door

Tue 24 Jul, 2012 02:34 am
Hi everyone,
What to look for when replacing a garden window with a patio door? Is there structural concerns that I should take note on? The windows measure 55 inches. I want the height of the patio door to be the same as window. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,648 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

Butrflynet

Tue 24 Jul, 2012 07:39 pm
@wallacechristy,
Make sure to have a qualified carpenter look at your project and plans to confirm that there is enough structural support for the enlarged opening before you do any cutting.
0 Replies

Ceili

Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:45 pm
@wallacechristy,
If you replace it with the same size or smaller door, you should be fine. If you go longer, you'll need to replace the header and then it's structural.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 24 Jul, 2012 10:26 pm
@wallacechristy,
Just make sure the framing for your door is rock solid, because a door will shake the walls around it if the framing is skimpy, and you'll start getting cracks.
0 Replies

james42andrews

Thu 30 Aug, 2012 01:14 am
@wallacechristy,
I had a similar replacement with a new exterior door and called a guy from the original company. He removed and installed a new one, but messed up. There was a gap left between the frame and door at the bottom. I called them again but they did ignored and I simply ended wasting money. A week later, my friend bought a guy from a company called Clera windows and explained the things. I was worried about his service since I had a ‘pretty good’ experience earlier and that company was new to me. But I say he helped me get out of the issue. He sat with me for a space planning discussion and explained what he was gonna do. The next day he came with the tools and started work. What he did is, he removed the door off and moved the frame forward. The edge of the door was reshaped and straightened to perfectly fit with the frame.
What I wanna say is, be careful while choosing repair technicians. Not all would get you quality service. Make a detailed research. Better ask around your fellow people and know their experience. Also talk with the technician you choose and know what they are gonna do.
0 Replies

Luxury Living

Thu 30 Aug, 2012 11:34 am
@wallacechristy,

if you are planning to replace a window with a door, you need to be sure of the frame work if you don’t want cracks in your wall. Also, its not a diy type job. Try to have an expert to do it for you.
0 Replies

Oliverbnt

Wed 16 Jan, 2013 12:01 am
@wallacechristy,
best think you remember all about..
0 Replies