Can the coordinating conjunction 'yet' follow a subordinating conjunction?

cwfool

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:41 am
Is it gramatically permissible by the rules of Standard English for the coordinating conjunction 'yet' to follow a subordinating conjunction? For example, take the sentence 'Although it is early, yet still I must rise.' This seems to make sense and be correct to me, but if I substitute another coordinating conjunction, say 'but', it no longer seems so: 'Although it is early, but still I must rise.' It seems that the semantics of 'but' are what create a problem here, though instead of the grammar, but I can't seem to form any valid subordinating + coordinating sentence except if I use 'yet', so I'm not sure.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,100 • Replies: 2
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 02:57 am
It's fine, a bit stilted but fine. If you say "It is early, but still I must rise", it works.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 08:47 pm
@cwfool,
Quote:
Is it gramatically permissible by the rules of Standard English for the coordinating conjunction 'yet' to follow a subordinating conjunction? For example, take the sentence 'Although it is early, yet still I must rise.'

Even completely nonsensical sentences can be grammatical, CW. This is a pragmatic/semantic issue, not a grammatical one.
0 Replies