child support and private school

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:27 pm
I pay 360.00 a month for child support. I also cover Heatlh insurance so the extra money for a dependent (160.00 month) makes it a total of 520.00 a month. Tax time her mom claims our child because our child is with the mom.
I am with my child during the week days and spend money on food/ entertainemnt
she doesn't just sit infront of the television so I do traveling with her.

Mom Has a nice job.. 28.hr, dad has shitty job.. 12.00 hr

Our Child was in a private school (pre-K ) cost 4,000 year.
she now has to repeat because he birthday fell short.

This year mom said she cant afford the school.
I talked to the school and they can do 400.oo a month.

Mom says, that She cant do it and I should pay half.

Does that sound fair?

She said I have no idea about the cost of living even though I am pretty much paying for the school, There is books and things and daily living expenses..so she came to the conclusion that only 13.oo from my ammount I give her a week goes to her school. WTF?!!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:55 pm
@easygoing,
What state are you in?

Likely, the $360 is calculated by taking into consideration the $160 you pay for health insurance. I would argue that the tax exemption should be divided 70/30, based upon percentage of income (assuming a 40 hour week for both parents).

If dad didn't have a shitty job, he'd be paying more child support.

In my state (Arizona), the cost of private school tuition is sometimes included in the child support calculation (education expenses). If not, it is often divided based on the 70/30 percentage. If you want the child to attend private school, and the education expense is not included in the child support calculation, then you should pay 30%, not 50%, based on the 70/30 split.

So, no, you paying half does not sound fair.

What's wrong with public school?
easygoing

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 08:07 am
@Ticomaya,
Rhode Island and thanks for the information I didnt expect such a great response.
easygoing

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 08:20 am
@easygoing,
Child is in Pre-K and has to repeat another year because of age.
you must be 5 to be in first grade.
The difference in learning is great, our child knows such much just from going there instead of staying home or daycare.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 05:40 pm
@easygoing,
I see. Preschool costs. I agree that is money well spent.

I would suggest you advise mom that you will pay the appropriate percentage, based upon your monthly gross income to the parent's combined monthly gross income ... 30%, based on my calculation above.
0 Replies