How to live effeciently in Chicago?

JPB

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:28 pm
@Rorschach,
And the Art Institute, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, and Field Museum of Natural History are all worth doing. You can save a bunch of $$$ with a City Pass that provides admission to most of the hot spots, but they're only valid for 9 days from the first use.

City Pass Chicago
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
With the proviso he also check out the Art Institute of Chicago. Wonderful place.
Rorschach

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
I guess some people in the other forums are trying to make Chicago as intimidating as possible.

Chicago public transportation (during the night time) by common sense, I'd think, wouldn't be that bad. Cause I'd imagine there would be other workers going home at about the same time.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:41 pm
@ossobuco,
Cicerone Imposter and Walter Hinterler and I went on an architectural tour (think three people with cameras and their own agendas) - that was great. I remember getting a ticket for that at some City info place on Michigan Avenue. We also went on a Chicago River boat tour, interesting. I later walked the river by myself, more interesting, I recommend it, probably in that order, general info and solo walking.

Or try this - I once met the guy who started the Access Guide books, Rickie Saul Wurman (we were doing a land use exhibit at the LA museum of Sci and Industry). Far as I know, his books still hold up.

http://www.amazon.com/Access-Chicago-Richard-Saul-Wurman/dp/0060828315

You could read up and then walk the river.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:43 pm
@JPB,
The Field Museum of Natural History is another all day event, but you'll be rewarded with knowledge and entertainment that will fascinate and enthrall.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:49 pm
@Rorschach,
Rorschach wrote:

I guess some people in the other forums are trying to make Chicago as intimidating as possible.

It's how we weed out the timid and cowardly.

Rorschach wrote:
Chicago public transportation (during the night time) by common sense, I'd think wouldn't be that bad. Cause I'd imagine there would be other workers going home at about the same time.

I ride the L late at night (like around midnight) with some frequency. I feel safer on the L than I would driving the streets.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 02:57 pm
Chicago has verve:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/ossobuco/LionontheLeft.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:24 pm
@Rorschach,
Getting back to your pizza question... Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, Pizzaria Uno and Due are all within a couple blocks of your office. Long lines so plan on an early or late lunch/dinner. There are a couple others close by that I'm not familiar with (Ora and La Madia). Skip Rosatti's.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:33 pm
@JPB,
In Rogers Park, go with J.B. Alberto's. Thin crust, deep dish, stuffed. All good.
JPB

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
I'm getting hungry!
0 Replies

Rorschach

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 03:51 pm
The info is much appreciated. All this talk of pizza has my stomach growling as well.

On a related matter, how do Chicagoan without a car do grocery shopping?
Is it like a buy as as needed option, unlike in the suburbs, where you usually buy in bulk, such as a week's worth of grocery. But if some people who hates shopping trips wanted to buy a week's worth, I'd assume to take a taxi back home.
JPB

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 04:55 pm
@Rorschach,
That, or there's a rent-a-car-for-the-day option that has become pretty popular.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2012 06:26 pm
@Rorschach,
Rorschach wrote:
On a related matter, how do Chicagoan without a car do grocery shopping?
Is it like a buy as as needed option, unlike in the suburbs, where you usually buy in bulk, such as a week's worth of grocery. But if some people who hates shopping trips wanted to buy a week's worth, I'd assume to take a taxi back home.

Taxis are one option. There are a lot of neighborhood groceries that are within walking distance -- there's one at the Morse L stop that's pretty good. Mostly, though, you make lots of small purchases rather than one big one. Or else you can sign up for a delivery service, like Peapod.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:53 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Secondly, ignore everything Miller says. She's a former Chicagoan for a reason --

Yes, indeed there is a major reason for my leaving Chicago's SouthSide and moving to Boston.

In order to receive an appoinment at Harvard Medical School , I had to leave Chicago and move to Boston, which has probably the most stimulating scientific research in the entire USA, if not the world.

While I miss Chicago, at times, I love Boston and everything it has given me.
Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:56 pm
@Rorschach,
Rorschach wrote:

From what I read around in other forums, rogers park, and chicago area itself has a lot of crime.

Very true...

However, recently 4.1 million $$ have been given to the CPD so the police can get paid for their overtime, due to the crime wave, the City is experiencing.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI needs to understand, that South Chicago is part of the SouthSide, as are SouthShore, Woodlawn, etc.

CI makes the same mistake, over and over again.
Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:06 pm
@Rorschach,
Rorschach wrote:

This is for your own protection. At almost all major colleges and universities in Chicago, all entering freshmen are given a lecture on what not to do in the City and where not to go. These are primarily freshman from the suburbs, rural areas of the Midwest and all international students.

The academic community wants to keep their students safe and prevent them from being murdered, robbed or raped. Some kids think none of the latter will ever happened to them. But it still does. One little example took place at South Chicago ( on the SouthSide) Community Hospital, when a man named Richard Speck entered the Hospital living quarters one day in a hot, very hot Summer and murdered several student nurses. The ones who survived this ordeal did so by hiding under their beds, while the killings progressed.

I could give many, many other examples but I won't. You can research Crime in Chicago via Google.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:08 pm
@Miller,
No ****! "South Chicago is part of the SouthSide." You must be some kind of genius to figure out that one!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:11 pm
@Miller,
I believe that was in 1966.
Miller

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No ****! "South Chicago is part of the SouthSide." You must be some kind of genius to figure out that one!

I grew up on the South Side, you didn't.