MORE Black Women With Guns

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2012 06:56 pm

Target Market: Black Women With Guns

http://www.utne.com/mind-body/women-with-guns-zm0z12jazros.aspx#ixzz20Q1lmaxc

For J. Victoria Sanders, joining the ranks of women with guns means
earning a concealed handgun license and coming to terms with Black feminism.

Texas Department of Public Safety data show that the fastest-growing group of concealed handgun owners in the state has been, for at least five years, black women.

When I was six years old, my mother and I were robbed at gunpoint by two men looking for cash. One of them placed the gun at my head until she gave them her mink coat, which looked real but wasn’t, and the bus fare she had in her pocket. The incident was the first thing that came to mind when, more than 20 years later, I started the application process for a concealed handgun license.

I started my career as a reporter in 2001 at an East Texas newspaper headquartered not far from where James Byrd Jr. was dragged to his death by white racists four years earlier. It made me fully aware of the still-present dangers of being black in America. More recently, the attack and sexual assault of reporter Lara Logan in Egypt and the abduction of journalist Dorothy Parvaz, a former colleague of mine at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, reinforced my concerns about the physical vulnerability of female reporters. No matter where we are in the world, no matter our age or race, our lives are threatened by violence.

Journalists must be proactive in the face of bleak statistics and violent events.
For me, learning to handle and shoot a gun seemed the most direct way to fend off growing feelings of vulnerability, but what started out as a simple intention to earn a concealed handgun license ended up as a yearlong quest that involved a few stops at the gun range, being fingerprinted by Texas authorities, and staring for months at the incomplete application on my desk.

People presume that tall black women like me are tough and sufficiently able to protect ourselves, but I wanted an additional layer of insurance for my freedom to explore, unfettered, the realms I pursued as a journalist. As my own process unfolded, I noticed that the number of stories about women shooting for recreation or buying guns for self-defense had started to multiply and in Texas, at least, I wasn’t alone in my quest. Texas Department of Public Safety data show that the fastest-growing group of concealed handgun owners in the state has been, for at least five years, black women.

Social Connotations of Black Women With Guns
Red’s Indoor Range gives women shooters discounts on renting guns and ammunition on Mondays, so this past summer I went with two of my homegirls to kick off the week with some practice. We were each given earplugs, which we wore beneath silencing earmuffs. I rented a .380, bought a box of ammunition, and got to it. My hands, which normally never sweat, began shvitzing as I worried about somehow managing to shoot myself; my dear friend Andy, a Texas-bred black woman and a former junior NRA member, showed me where to put them.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 774 • Replies: 3
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 03:46 am

I can see where everyone of either gender
and of all ages wishes to remain intact
and able to defend himself from
the predatory violence of Man or beast.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 04:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, then why start a thread on racism? Ages, gender, black, white? I don't get the heading?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2012 05:56 am
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
Yes, then why start a thread on racism? Ages, gender, black, white? I don't get the heading?
U see it as concerning racism ?

It was written by a black about her life experiences,
which include race. Her articles were about getting licensure
for freely carrying concealed defensive personal firearms.
In many States of America, it has been against the law to conceal your guns.
U r supposed to carry them exposed.
For that reason, some motor vehicles have gun racks at their back windows.

A mention was made that female blacks were the demografic
of fastest growth in Texas for obtaining this licensure,
according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

A person who chooses to go around unarmed is creating an UNSAFE CONDITION,
in that he or she will be less likely to securely handle a predatory emergency.
For that reason, governments shud require all citizens
to be armed at all times when in public, the same as
thay are already required to wear seatbelts in cars,
and optimal gun handling practices shud be taught
from the earliest years in the public schools,
the same as learning to swim is required, in the interest of safety.

David

0 Replies