Do cats hurt rabbits?

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 08:33 am
Im getting two rabbits and i have 6 cats. Even though they are related, im worried cats might hurt my rabbits?

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 08:37 am
@CatsBirdsFishRULE,
Cats are hunters, rabbits are prey. I've been around barn cats that routinely kill baby and small rabbits, larger rabbits are not so easy to catch. I suggest you keep the rabbits in proper enclosures, it will also keep them from chewing on things that can hurt them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 08:44 am
@CatsBirdsFishRULE,
I don't know what makes you think they're related, they're both mammals but you'd have to go way back to find a common ancestor.

Cats are carnivores and hunters, they will have a go at the rabbits given half a chance. A lot of it depends on the individual rabbits and cats. When I got my first rabbit we already had a cat. As soon as he got the opportunity that cat went for the rabbit. Unfortunately for the cat, it was a very big rabbit that could handle itself, and the cat ran off with its tail between its legs. After that, the cat left all rabbits well alone, regardless of size.

So unless your cats have all been given a good kicking by feral rabbits, you need to take care to protect the rabbits.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 09:06 am
http://up-ship.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/funny-pictures-cat-wants-to-cook-rabbit.jpg
CatsBirdsFishRULE

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 09:36 am
@Irishk,
lol
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 09:59 am
@CatsBirdsFishRULE,
CatsBirdsFishRULE wrote:
Do cats hurt rabbits?
Yes.
WELCOME to the forum, CatsBirdsFishRULE!!!!!

( I like animals too. Turtles r also good.)

May your JOY be exceeded only by the BEAUTY and the CASH in your life!

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 11:12 am
@CatsBirdsFishRULE,
The cats are related to the rabbits? How the h*ll did that happen? Well, wait - I don't think I want to know.
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2012 11:15 am
@Linkat,
Entirely depends on the cats - my cats were so wimpy and so pampered, they would have been frightened of the rabbits. I mean they were incapable of killing bugs - when a bug got in the house, they would just circle it and watch it....maybe just maybe if they were feeling a bit frisky, one would tentatively put a light paw on it. Never killed a fly - literally or figuratively.

But with 8, I'd imagine they were outdoor cats and not so pampered.
0 Replies