Best-selling Miffy the rabbit author Dick Bruna dies

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 10:07 am
I don't know if Miffy was part of your childhood, but she was part of mine. RIP.

Quote:

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/1610C/production/_94708309_gettyimages-76212962.jpg
The Dutch creator of Miffy the cartoon rabbit has died aged 89, his publishers have announced.

Writer and illustrator Dick Bruna died peacefully in his sleep on Thursday night in the Dutch city of Utrecht.

He created the much loved character in 1955 as a story to entertain his young son. More than 80 million Miffy books have been sold globally.

Over the years, Bruna wrote more than 100 books but Miffy was by far his most popular and enduring character.

At first, he was uncertain whether the rabbit was a boy or a girl, but settled the matter by putting her in a dress for the sixth book, Miffy's Birthday, in 1970.

In the Netherlands, she is called Nijntje ("little rabbit"). It was her first English translator, Olive Jones, who christened her Miffy.

Bruna was still writing Miffy stories in his old age and his books have been translated into more than 50 languages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39007462
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,102 • Replies: 3
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 01:24 pm
I missed out on it. I mostly looked for stories about horses and sometimes dogs.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 02:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're probably one generation too old. He started writing them in 1955. I bet you were more James Dean than talking rabbits by then.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2017 02:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Must you promulgate your European culture in a forum of mostly Americans? It might make some think you are overcompensating for feelings of cultural inferiority. The U.S. never had a paucity of good children's books.

And, like the current fad in British children's books, Americans usually have no problem with being eclectic in their reading habits.
0 Replies