How much kVA do I need

hsodhih

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 08:51 am
Dear Sir/Madam,

Please note that I am requiring a new electricity connection at a site. Western Power Distribution are giving me 1 single phase, 230 voltage and 50Hz frequency with capacity of supply at 18kVA

The site will be used as a car wash initially and then a tyre sale and fit service as well.

I am not exactly sure if I need 3 phase or 1 phase as I do not understand the difference.

The list of majority of machinery I will be using is listed below :

MACHINE CONNECTED LOAD in Kw

JET WASH 1.9
HOOVER 1.3
JET WASH 3.1
TYRE CHANGER 1.1
WHEEL BALANCER 1.1
AIR COMPRESSOR 1.5
LIGHTS 2
GENERAL SOCKETS 1
EXTRA MACHINERY 4
SUNDRY TO BE ON SAFE SIDE 2

TOTAL Kw 19

I am trying to evaluate what Western Power Distribution are giving me (1 single phase, 230 voltage and 50Hz frequency with capacity of supply at 18kVA) is sufficient for my needs of 19Kw as above

Thanking you,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,382 • Replies: 5
No top replies

raprap

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 09:03 am
@hsodhih,
Rule of thumb--always install at least twice the capacity of your estimate---you'll always need more capacity if successful and it's cheapest to install switchgear at initial installation rather than tear it all out and retrofit.

I'd go with three phase rather than 230V Split phase--big industrial three phase motors are cheaper and easier to use and install. For nominal voltage you can always tap one leg to get notmal split voltages (110 and 220 v).

So if three phase is available go with it.

Rap

contrex

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 10:56 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
For nominal voltage you can always tap one leg to get notmal split voltages (110 and 220 v).

I reckon he's in a 230 volt (single, not split phase) / 50 Hz (non-North American) country. 110 is not an option.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:05 pm
@raprap,
Raprap, what is 230V Split phase? I know single phase, and am vaguely familiar with three phase. Have nevre heard of split phase. I ask in hopes of a relatively nontechnical answer.

contrex

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Raprap, what is 230V Split phase? I know single phase, and am vaguely familiar with three phase. Have nevre heard of split phase. I ask in hopes of a relatively nontechnical answer.

In North America many houses have a centre tapped 220 volt 60 Hz single phase supply. The 220 volts across the outers is used for heavy current appliances such as air conditioners and ovens etc whereas between either outer and the centre neutral connection is 110 volts for small appliances, lamps, etc. They call this arrangement "split phase". If you do not live in North America this may not be of much practical interest to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:15 pm
@contrex,
I do live in North America, and that was very helpful. Thanks.
0 Replies