Need a new fridge, any advice?

JTT

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:40 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
The boards on each side go straight from floor to ceiling. They are 3/4" thick.

Just to be clear - the boards on the side have no facing attached to the front of them. The net thickness is 3/4".

Would saving 1 1/2" do you any good. The cabinet could be easily dropped and the sides/legs cut off, then the cabinet could be rehung. Is it painted? Is it painted into the wall? meaning, have the sides that go to the floor been "joined" by paint to the wall?
sozobe

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:41 pm
@JTT,
No facing, correct. It's painted and joined to the wall, yes. (And ceiling.)
sozobe

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:43 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
(And ceiling.)

(My 3-d-ing was sloppy there.)
JTT

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:44 pm
@Ceili,
You are one inventive lady, Ceili.

Quote:
used bolts to reattach the upper cabinet to the wall and the cabinets beside it.

Bolts are a little overkill but whatever makes one feel comfortable. As long as you can located wall studs, 2 1/2" to 3" wood screws would suffice.
ossobuco

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:45 pm
From my link, under size and weight -

SIZE AND WEIGHT
Dimensions (W case x H top of hinge x D with handles)
Depth with Handles
Depth without Handles
Depth without Door
Depth (Total with Door Open)
Height to Top of Case
Height to Top of Door Hinge
Width
Installation Clearance
Weight (Product)
Weight (Shipping)
Carton Dimensions (WxHxD)
29 7/8" x 65 3/8" x 32 1/8"
32 1/8"
32 1/8"
28 5/8"
59"
64 3/4"
65 3/8"
29 7/8"
Sides 1/8", Top 1", Back 2"
217 lbs.
242 lbs
SIZE AND WEIGHT
Dimensions (W case x H top of hinge x D with handles)
Depth with Handles
Depth without Handles
Depth without Door
Depth (Total with Door Open)
Height to Top of Case
Height to Top of Door Hinge
Width
Installation Clearance
Weight (Product)
Weight (Shipping)
Carton Dimensions (WxHxD)
29 7/8" x 65 3/8" x 32 1/8"
32 1/8"
32 1/8"
28 5/8"
59"
64 3/4"
65 3/8"
29 7/8"
Sides 1/8", Top 1", Back 2"
217 lbs.
242 lbs.
32 1/8" x 69 3/8" x 35"
ossobuco

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Hah, I'm beginning to understand dalehileman - I couldn't edit that, couldn't scroll.

In my case, it has to do with my computer - something about adobe flash and overburdening.

Confusing, but when I first looked at it, I thought it fit.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:50 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
It's painted and joined to the wall, yes. (And ceiling.)

I'll take "joined" to mean attached to the wall and ceiling.

Joined by paint? If the cabinet was removed would there be a clean line at the cabinet-wall juncture or would there be a torn paint mess?
JTT

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:51 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
(My 3-d-ing was sloppy there.)

On the contrary. You obviously paid attention in art class. I wish I had.
0 Replies

sozobe

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:51 pm
@ossobuco,
That's interesting, it seems to have two different sets of measurements.

In the "Summary" section:

Size (W x H x D with door open): 35 3/4" x 69 3/4" x 34 1/4"

That's too big.

In the "Size and Weight" section:

Dimensions (W case x H top of hinge x D with handles): 29 7/8" x 65 3/8" x 32 1/8"

That's possibly fine. Very close to our current size.

But I don't get why the dimensions are so different on the same page for the same item....?

http://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LTC19340ST-top-freezer-frigerator
ossobuco

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:53 pm
@sozobe,
The one I thought I posted was the 29 7/8 one, and have all this time. Which is why I spoke up.

Egads, I'm going to have to engage adobe flash, I've got a lot of slow stuff going on.
sozobe

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:54 pm
@JTT,
Torn paint mess.

This is all something we could do, but would probably come down the line when we redo all of our cabinets (which are icky and need redoing). The bigger issue is that there's not a lot of room in that area, period -- we can't get a much larger fridge due to just pure space constraints, not just the cabinet. (Basement door on one side, built-in spice cabinet on the other.)

We could get rid of or replace the storage above the fridge and get a taller one, if we really wanted to, but that's about it.
sozobe

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Those measurements are both from the same link, just in different sections on the same page. Check the "summary" section on the Technical Specifications page.
ossobuco

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 07:00 pm
@sozobe,
Hmmmmm.
Swimpy

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 07:05 pm
@sozobe,
I am going to have the same problem when my fridge needs replacing. I bought this GE Profile 30" wide fridge about 15 years ago. We built the kitchen around it. Now the same model, which has a freezer drawer on the bottom that I love, is over 35" wide. The opening for the fridge is only 32.75".
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 07:39 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
(Basement door on one side, built-in spice cabinet on the other.)

Can you hang the spice cabinet of the basement door? Does the basement door see heavy use?
sozobe

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 07:49 pm
@JTT,
No, it's a built-in spice cabinet. As in, not movable. The door is flush with the wall, then the cabinet goes in by a few inches (it's a shallow cabinet).

It's original to the house and one of the things we really liked, so we won't be messing with it.

That's part of the problem btw, the house was built in the 20's and refrigerators were not yet standard -- it's a perfectly nice kitchen without a fridge, just doesn't really have room for one. And has never been remodeled (some movement of elements, new cabinets etc, but no walls knocked down or anything).

And the basement door does get heavy use, yes.

All of this stuff is probably resolvable, but we're not looking to do the really heavy-duty remodeling (like moving the basement door) that would be necessary. Just looking for a fridge right now.
0 Replies

Ceili

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 07:55 pm
@JTT,
Well, thunk you verra much.
I know it's a bit over the top but I store a lot of heavy glassware, punch bowl, crystal stuff.. don't want it to topple over.

As for the spice rack, you might try hanging your spices under the top cabinets. Glue a metal plate to the underside and strong magnets in the container lids and hang them. Easy access and they'll take up less space.
sozobe

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 08:12 pm
@Ceili,
Nope, love the built-in spice rack, it's part of why we bought the house and it's generally fabulous and useful.
Ceili

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 08:17 pm
@sozobe,
I get that. I live in an older house and part of the charm is the clever built ins.
ossobuco

Sun 8 Jul, 2012 08:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I suspect they compiled info from two fridges in one place.