Four years old going on fourteen

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:06 pm
So, as some of you may know, my oldest daughter is 4 years old now. These last two weeks have been a bit of a nightmare with her new found attitude.

I've tried timeouts, talking to her, sending her to bed, etc. She still refuses to listen, stomps her foot and has now said, on more than one occasion, that "it's not fair". I am all for people expressing themselves but it is like she turned into a teenager over night... Now my 2 year old is watching everything she does and is mimicing her.

As I am close to pulling the hair out of my head... any tips/advice or stories to make me feel like I'm not alone in this would be great..

I am really not sure what to do to get my sweet little girl back

So much for the terrible 2 and the horrible 3's!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,937 • Replies: 9

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:14 pm
@Crazielady420,
Oh yeah, it's a continuing rollercoaster!

You have some personal upheaval going on too, right? That often has a real effect, unfortunately.

The mimicking must be tough! I only had to deal with one at a time, and that was plenty.

My kid was 3.5 when we moved and she was a little snot for quite a while after that. Some combination of age and upheaval did not work out well for her.

There's an ages and stages series that I can't remember enough about right now to find via Google, JPB recommended it to me and I found it very helpful!

I got through that phase with tons of patience (so much patience, I'm amazed I have any left) and devastating consistency. Inconsistency seemed to really cause problems.

And lots of attention and reassurance. Something about the realization that not everything is permanent, at that age, really threw her for a loop.
Crazielady420

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:20 pm
@sozobe,
Yes, there are some personal things going on, but we have been doing our best with communication and doing everything in our power to keep it away from the kids.

I've googled about this several times, but aside from complaints, I didn't find much advice.

We leave in a week for a 14 hour drive to TN and I am hoping that she isn't whining and not listening the entire time... I swear I will be a bald woman when we return, if that is the case!!!!

Btw when did it start to get better with your daughter?
sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:35 pm
@Crazielady420,
OK, found the series:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Four-Year-Old-Ames/dp/0440506751

Here are screenshots of the first and third pages (can't copy and paste the text):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/Screenshot2012-07-06at53036PM.png

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/Screenshot2012-07-06at53124PM.png

I think it took her about 6 months -- starting preschool in the fall helped, but it wasn't until a few months into it that she was on an even keel again.

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:55 pm
@sozobe,
I highly recommend this series on ages and stages. It won't make a four year anything but a four year old but it will set your mind at ease where you can see her behaviors as normal developmental behaviors. I started reading them when Kim was three. I thought it was written specifically for her. She had some struggles (she was extremely three, then four, etc.), but knowing that she was tracking as she should helped me tremendously.

Good luck! Just remember that this too shall pass.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:36 pm
thank you both for recommending the series, I will def. take a look at it. The excerpt seems promising!!!

Besides, if it doesn't get any better, I am going to make a woman cave in the basement and hide!
dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:10 pm
@Crazielady420,
Heh heh....wait until she hits school and has a whole new culture to look down at you from!
Crazielady420

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:36 pm
@dlowan,
I keep thinking that I am going to have two teenage girls someday and I remember myself as a teenager... if history repeats itself, I am screwed!!

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:17 pm
@Crazielady420,
Nope. You and they will both be fine so long as you never forget that you were once there as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:17 pm
@Crazielady420,
Yes but it DOES pass
0 Replies