Favorite Dog Breed

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:42 pm
I just love yorkies, westies, and samoyeds!What are your favorites?

ossobuco

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:54 pm
@acermeggy,
Mutts (a so called Venice shepherd, plus others of my acquaintance), skin and bone irish setters found in lumber yards, corgis from the humane society having been found wandering down a highway, czech shepherd therapy dogs. One more, a scamp terrier mix possessing some friends but gotten - I think - at some adoption event at petsmart.

So: rescue dogs.

0 Replies

Eva

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 10:16 pm
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, which I might never have learned about if not for A2K.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4788657225597770&id=d5b1ef7783829f1cf3a046756822b3d4
Ceili

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 10:56 pm
I'm partial to big dogs. I have a great dane cross, he's a big, goofy, lovable lapdog.
CalamityJane

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:02 pm
@Ceili,
You have 2 other pups too, Ceili, what breed are they again?
--

Well, I haven't met a dog yet I didn't like Smile
Ceili

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:16 pm
@CalamityJane,
Not anymore. They were Redbone coonhounds. They are now living on farms, where they are much happier and can howl to their hearts content. I go and visit them once a month, but I couldn't keep them in the city. My neighbours were beginning to hate me. So I found them loving homes. I miss them, but they now go hunting and seem to love their free unfettered life.
CalamityJane

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:19 pm
@Ceili,
Yes, sometimes we have to do what's good for the dogs, even though it's hard on you. I am so glad you found them a good home where they can be together and roam the farm. Good for you!
Ceili

Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thanks. I couldn't take them to the dog park anymore either. They followed their noses. Out on the farm, there are a bunch of kids and dogs and miles of open land, even a stream. They are definitely happy. Murphy would hate that set up. He's the biggest suck, needs to be around people all the time. Everywhere we go, people want to pet him. He missed the boys for a while, but we go on daily walks and to the riverside parks a couple times a week, so he still gets to play with his pals.
farmerman

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:01 am
@Ceili,
Im partial to Border Collies and Catahoulas.
My Cathoula is about 10 now so his running like the wind days are memories. We keep recycling our Border Collies and though Stash is now 8 shes a great worker. (Its too hot for any sheep moving now but shed do it if I asked her). We are gonna get a new Border Collie puppy this Fall and give it the two year training period in which it can acclimate itself to the duties we expect and the family .

Mrs F is nervous for our new puppy . She is concerned that it "bond" with our crew.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:40 am
@Eva,
King Charles completely spoiled his dogs. They not only slept in his bed, they whelped their litters there, too. Now that's my kind of king!
ehBeth

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:34 am
@acermeggy,
I like any kind of spitz. I like dogs with pointed noses, pricked up ears, smiley faces and stand up wavy tails. Doesn't need to be a pure-bred of any kind.

I can fit anything from pom crosses to shelties to border collies to german shepherds into my definition.
raprap

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 06:58 am
Rescued dogs--I like dogs that need a little love. I have found that they respond in kind.

My present dog (Sparky the Wonder Dog) was found by the side of I-70. I used craigslist to try to find an owner, but no luck, so he became my dog. Sparky seems to be a Chow Lab mix--jet black with a curly tail and one pointed ear (the left one flops), web toes and a good disposition. I've had hime about a year and have come to appreciate his behavior.

Rap
ehBeth

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:04 am
@raprap,
true. both of the dogs I currently share my life with are rescues and they are marvellous dogs.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:46 am
@raprap,
Sparky sounds wonderful!
0 Replies

Eva

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

King Charles completely spoiled his dogs....

That's what dogs are for, Set. You can't spoil a child, or you'll have a potential felon.
Setanta

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:01 am
@Eva,
When your master is the king, nothing you do is criminal.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:50 am
@Ceili,
I typically love big dogs too. As a child my favorite was a big fat potato dog (aka St. Bernard).

But there are certain smaller dogs I love too. There is something to say about having a portable dog - easier to maintain and bring places. We have a schipperke right now.

A brief description of their personality:
"Known for a stubborn, mischievous, and headstrong temperament,it also chases small animals.The Schipperke is sometimes referred to as the "little black fox", the "Tasmanian black devil", or the "little black devil". They are naturally curious and high-energy dogs and require ample exercise and supervision. Schipperkes are very smart and independent; and sometimes debate listening to owners, instead choosing to do whatever benefits them the most."

They think they are bigger than they are.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Schipperke0001.jpg/220px-Schipperke0001.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:51 am
@CalamityJane,
Yeah that is kinda my thought too - I pretty much love all dogs. I've owned mutts as well.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 08:52 am
@ehBeth,
You'd love my dog then - although most come without tails - I've seen them with tails as well.
ehBeth

Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:00 am
@Linkat,
Schipperkes are one of my favourite breeds. If I ever got a dog through a breeder instead of rescue, I'd get a Schipperke - they have wonderful personalities.