'Breathalyzer in every car' bill passes house

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 01:14 pm
There is an interesting development re legislation in New Mexico. I understand the breathalyzer would cost about $1,000 to install. New Mexico has a serious drunk driving problem and the State is only getting really tough on DWI in the last two years. The following is one idea how to protect motorists.---BBB

Date Posted: 2/17/2004
'Breathalyzer in every car' bill passes house

If the bill passes the Senate and Governor Richardson, every vehicle would be fitted with a breathalyzer device similar to this one.

Update:KRQE's Janet Blair reports that a bill that would require breathalyzer interlocks on all vehicles in New Mexico could become law if it passes a Senate committee.

Source: KRQE News 13

Some state lawmakers are convinced they have the answer to solve the D.W.I. epidemic and want to require everyone on the road to take a breathalyzer test before they can start the engine of any vehicle.
Today, the proposal is one very large step closer to becoming law.

A bill requiring an ignition interlock device be installed on every car, truck, bus or motorcycle in New Mexico passed the state house today and is on its way to the senate.

Representative Ken Martinez introduced the bill and says he was pleasantly surprised with today's vote.

"I think it's an opportunity for N.M. to lead on this issue and be a solution state and not a problem state," says Martinez.

As for who will pay for the devices? KRQE News 13 has learned there is another proposed bill that would give people a tax credit for the amount of the device.

The senate has until Thursday to vote on the bill.

If the bill survives and is signed by the governor, New Mexico would be the only state in the country with such a law.

Despite an increasing awareness of New Mexico's D.W.I. problem, few citizen's sampled by KRQE News 13 approve of the far-reaching proposal.

"I think its a bunch of bunk," says Albuquerque resident Jerry Thompson. "If I haven't been convicted of D.W.I or alcohol related crime I shouldn't have to breathalyzer myself just to start my own car."

"I think it's crazy, the thing is it doesn't even work when people (are) court ordered to have it," says Albuquerque resident Susan Doran.

"I think its just going to make it more difficult especially for older citizens," says Marietta Carr.

The bill also has perked the ears and raised concern at the local chapter of the American civil liberties union.

"We are concerned that if you've got to sort of go through a mini search every time you drive your car," says Reber Boult. "That's very invasive."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,962 • Replies: 0
No top replies