Now this is news...

Foofie

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 10:34 am
http://plus.maths.org/content/higgs?nl=0
Finally I can rest assured that the world will not evaporate into thin air, because the good old Higgs boson is on the job. However, are the bosons similar in other possible universes? If not, those other universes can be quite empty!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,113 • Replies: 24
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:34 am
@Foofie,
Somewhat OT Foof, but the “God Particle” seems well named. In spitxe of “scientific” approach that denies the supernatural, the Intuition is drawn to the idea that

1. The entire Universe seems a dreary, pointless exercise without the humanoid, as just a whole lot of particles aimlessly bouncing off one another forever

We’re special

2. The physical constants seem to have been “adjusted” specifically to allow for the evolution of life, in some cases within a fraction of one percent

3. Other factors, perhaps many of them, such as the very architecture of the atomic and subatomic particles likely figure into our existence, the Higgs Boson being one

Quote:
However, are the bosons similar in other possible universes?
Not knowing otherwise Inutition suggests yes

Quote:
If not, those other universes can be quite empty!
Quite so. I suspect life is distributed thinly, depending on such as the size of its planet and that of its sun, distance between, etc. But if there’s only one world like ours in the entire galaxy, then it’s been estimated altogether there must be a very minimum of three sextillion of us
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 01:42 pm
@Foofie,
If there were to be two distinct universes, they would be parallel, and not capable of interfering with one another in any way. They are most likely not connected to each by space or time, or, our universe will be filled with paradoxes in nature, breaking the laws of cause and effect.

Therefore I think, we'll never know if any other universe besides ours exist, let alone be able to test in the other universe if bosons exist. The future might prove otherwise, but currently all I can do is hypothesize.

Although this highs-bosson like particle made history, it is just the beginning. Now they have to test if such particle behaves as they predicted in the theoretical model.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 01:51 pm
It also shows that the power of the imagination is very important for science. Professor Peter Higgs is an incredible man.

Quote:
NEARLY five decades after an Edinburgh scientist formed a theory on the structure of the Universe, scientists have finally proved he was right.

Professor Peter Higgs was walking in the Cairngorms when he came up with the idea of the “God particle”.

Yesterday, the 83-year-old physicist wiped away a tear as the scientific team at CERN in Geneva announced they believed they had found the elusive Boson.

He said: “I never expected this to happen in my lifetime and shall be asking my family to put some
champagne in the fridge.”

Last night, admiring scientists called for Higgs, who spent almost five decades at Edinburgh University before retiring in 2006, to be knighted and for the team who worked on the theory with him to get the Nobel Prize.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/science-and-technology/2012/07/05/edinburgh-scientist-professor-peter-higgs-admits-shock-as-his-theory-on-god-particle-is-proved-right-86908-23904558/
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 11:09 am
@aspvenom,
Quote:
If there were to be two distinct universes, they would be parallel, and not capable of interfering with one another in any way.
Parallel and maybe even simultaneous, if in fact the latter retains its conventional meaning. But why just two

Wouldn’t one suppose that if there could be two there might be an infinite number of them, each representing—assuming perhaps that each proceeds in quantum jumps-- every universe possible at the moment

-Which is one reason infinity sticks in my craw. Given two theories accounting for something the simpler almost always prevails
aspvenom

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 02:10 pm
@dalehileman,
I was giving an hypothetical scenario, and only taking two universes into account for simplicity sake.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:18 pm
@aspvenom,
Quote:
I was giving an hypothetical scenario, and only taking two universes into account for simplicity sake.
Of course; my rejoinder was meant in no way to be critical. But still as you’ve suggested it’s very hard to entertain the idea of simultaneous Universes
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 07:21 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

...Professor Peter Higgs is an incredible man...

Can you put the Union Jack away, and stop waving it in our faces, please.
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 09:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
to be knighted

After all he's done, they want to denigrate him.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 03:17 am
@Foofie,
You are such a hypocrite. I praised one man, I made no big deal about his nationality. You're the one who likes to wrap yourself in the American flag and is obsessed with race.
Foofie

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You are such a hypocrite. I praised one man, I made no big deal about his nationality. You're the one who likes to wrap yourself in the American flag and is obsessed with race.

I love the American flag. However, how am I obsessed with race? There is only the human race? I might be concerned over hubris, based on one's nationality, but nationality is not race, even though some people confuse the two words.

Also, when you make an accusation, such as my supposedly being a hypocrite, your next sentence is not a logical follow-up. My loving the American flag also means that I am not enamored with the Union Jack. Not that I dislike it, I just don't like it waving in my face. And, pointing out the man behind the science theory has nothing to do with proving a science theory correct, unless of course the man connotes a source of pride to someone?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:12 am
@Foofie,
It's called credit where credit's due. I was crediting an individual, without his imagination none of this would happen. You're just being petty. you're the one who brought up flag waving and the Union Flag not me.
JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:24 am
@Foofie,
Quote:

Says the pot, the kettle, the frying pan to Izzy.
Foofie

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's called credit where credit's due. I was crediting an individual, without his imagination none of this would happen. You're just being petty. you're the one who brought up flag waving and the Union Flag not me.

Yes. Foofie is petty. Foofie loves the American flag. Hip hip, hooray for the American flag.
Foofie

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:36 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

Says the pot, the kettle, the frying pan to Izzy.

And, what might be you? A happy Canadian beaver?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:55 am
@Foofie,
This thread that you started, has denigrated into something else because of you, and your petty nature. Why can't you limit your observations to the science and the people behind it, as the rest of us have done?

It would be really nice to have a thread where I'm not obliged to get into an argument with you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:43 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Yes. Foofie is petty. Foofie loves the American flag. Hip hip, hooray for the American flag.

Foofie is much more than petty. Foofie has shown him/herself to be an avid supporter of war crimes and terrorism. Foofie has also shown Foofie to be one that cares not at all about millions of innocents dying unless those innocents are of his/her own.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:45 am
@Foofie,
Stop being such a hypocrite, Foofie. There is no country on this planet that is close to be so rabidly jingoistic as the US.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 11:00 am
@Foofie,
Sour grapes much? Don't like it when other nations prove exceptionalism, eh? Higgs has a brilliant mind. Other scientists agree and thus the billions spent to prove his idea was correct. The USA had a chance to prove it, but small minded politicians put a halt to the program and now your home town scientists are crying the blues. Their particle accelerator is now sitting in an empty building gathering dust somewhere in the heart of Texas. It's kinda like all the god fearing idiots who wont even allow stem cell research, while other nations are finding cures. Americans used to be at the forefront of science but they've let religion and craziness pull you all back into the dark ages. Sad.
aspvenom

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 03:32 pm
@Ceili,
It's not all that bad. The Fermi near my area, well in Illinois, is focusing on a new exciting frontier, to know more about neutrinos. I can't wait to see what will be discovered.
The more particle accelarators there are, the more stuff we can do in less time.