jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 07:30 pm
GlaxoSmithKline would like you to know they are very sorry and apologize deeply for committing fraud related to Paxil, Wellbutrin, and Avandia.

Now hang on just a second while they reach into their pocket and pay the $3 billion fine. (A new record for fraud fines!) So apparently Paxil shouldn't have been marketed to kids and Wellbutrin was meant to treat depression, not help with weight-loss. Honest mistakes! Also, they didn't report safety information for Avandia but it's only a diabetes drug so that's not going to hurt anyone.

They have totally changed their policies (because they got caught IMO) and further violations could lead to. GASP!!! Executives forfeiting bonuses!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57466472-10391704/dr-drew-pinsky-responds-to-allegations-he-received-glaxosmithkline-payments/

Quote:
GlaxoSmithKline agrees to $3 billion settlement with Justice Department in largest sum of its kind over health care fraud

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 07:32 pm
I bet they made a lot more, in the billions, off of it than that.
jcboy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2012 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'll bet they have! make you wonder just where those profits are going!

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 04:19 am
@jcboy,
They went into lots of research that allows them to extend ther labels for drugs that they had "No idea" were effective in treating other ailments.
Mercury and arsenic used to be used for venereal disease treatment but they too had these little side effects .
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 10:39 am
@jcboy,
This pushing or promotion of drugs for "off label", non-approved, and sometimes poorly tested, usage is so common it generally barely attracts notice. In some instances, patients are essentially being used as guinea pigs and are prescribed drugs that may either be ineffective or downright harmful, all to put profits into the pockets of Big Pharma. And this is done with the full cooperation and collusion of the physicians who write these prescriptions, while the FDA turns a blind eye to the practice until it becomes so egregious they can collect a whopping fine for the government coffers from the drug company.

I don't know why Dr. Drew Pinsky is being singled out, GlaxoSmithKline was openly bribing doctors to prescribe their products--something other drug companies do as well.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/03/glaxosmithkline-fined-bribing-doctors-pharmaceuticals?newsfeed=true

The medical profession is responsible for this unsavory alliance with the drug companies because they are placing greed above professional ethics and patient responsibility, and this sort of whoring has been going on for a very long time. The drug companies could not get away with these marketing strategies and "business practices" if the medical organizations made the accepting of such bribes and perks and direct payments unethical and a conflict of interest. I also feel that it should be required that patients be informed, by the prescribing physician, that they are part of on-going research on the drug when they are prescribed a drug for "off-label" use.

MMarciano

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 11:37 am
@firefly,
You nailed that! It is the medical professionals who should be more responsible.

I can't even count the number of drug companies that come in with their free samples and ask us to pass them out to patients.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 12:05 pm
Any company that can advertise the way they have, must have billions in reserve. Then again, a doctor told once told me, any drug that has to advertise probably has more problems than cures under it`s belt. Aspirin aside...
0 Replies