Reality shows-enough.

caprice

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 12:43 pm
quinn1 wrote:
I like the Amazing Race also--where the heck is it anyway..thought itd be starting up again here soon.

Last I heard it won't be here until spring. If you go to the following web site and click on the "Application and Eligibility Requirements" link, you'll see that it states the race itself was scheduled to take part starting in January of this year.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5/

Quote:
If selected as a contestant, you and your teammate must be willing to travel to numerous locations around the world lasting approximately 30 to 40 days starting in January 2004. Each contestant is also responsible for bringing a passport that is valid until at least May 30th, 2004, and one (1) other form of photo identification with them.

So they may have just recently finished, all depending on when they started in January.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2004 08:32 pm
au1929 wrote:
Losing Touch With Reality
Published: February 21, 2004
The Littlest Groom," Fox's new show in which the audience is invited to gawk as a 4-foot-5 man searches for a bride, may mark an exploitative new low in television programming. It may also be the tip-off that reality television has "jumped the shark," TV-aficionado lingo for the point at which programming makes a final leap into witlessness and heads irredeemably into reruns.
It is hard to become too nostalgic for the golden days of reality TV, since the genre has always been a slightly sour cocktail of exploitation, voyeurism and humiliation. But looking back, it now seems as if there was a kind of innocence to the first "Survivor" group to do Darwinian battle on a deserted South China Sea island, or the first "Fear Factor" contestants to munch live bugs on national television.
Reality television, however, demands novelty. So the networks, eyes fixed firmly on the Nielsen ratings, became eager carny barkers, beckoning audiences to increasingly lurid variations on the theme. The deserted island became "Temptation Island," where attractive singles tried to break up "committed couples." On "Fear Factor," bug eating gave way, in a recent episode, to men diving into dumpsters and pulling out pig uteruses and cow stomachs for their girlfriends to eat. American networks are not alone in this race to the bottom. Last year, British television broadcast "Celebrity Detox Camp," which featured famous people getting enemas.
"Jumping the shark," as the Web site www.jumptheshark.com explains, refers to a "Happy Days" episode in which Fonzie was on water skis and tried to jump over a shark, a stunt widely viewed as the beginning of the end for the series. Reality TV is still well represented in the Nielsens, but given its current state, it's hard to imagine that will last for long. Of course, just as reality television succeeded the craze inspired by "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," there is undoubtedly a new genre waiting in the wings. We're sure whatever it is will make for compelling viewing.

Comment:

I wonder is there no limit to the humiliation and degradation that people will suffer in chasing the almighty dollar.

Au, I'm with you all the way. It is garbage on top of crap. As I stated above. It looks like the Oz public is getting fed up, as this season's serving of tripe isn't being eaten. One can only hope.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:00 am
never watch reality shows. don't need to see some gal chowing down on worms while i'm attempting to enjoy my dinner. gross outs like that last appealed to me when i was 7 or 8.

i'll take programming that is well-written, rehearsed and edited.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:27 am
They've already said, "Is Reality TV done" two years ago. Look at it now. It isn't over. As long as people watch it will come back, it is only smart to go where the money is.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 08:44 am
I saw a special on VH1 about reality shows. The producers treat those people like garbage! I emailed all of the news stations today letting them know that me and all of my friends and family have stopped watching the reality shows.

All we can do is let them know, eh?

I miss the clever sitcoms, to be honest.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 10:42 am
Not all reality show treat them like garbage.

Survivor and Amazing Race--now the Aprentice.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 12:13 pm
How that is funny? It has no seny,it´s stupid.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 03:31 am
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
I saw a special on VH1 about reality shows. The producers treat those people like garbage! I emailed all of the news stations today letting them know that me and all of my friends and family have stopped watching the reality shows.

All we can do is let them know, eh?

I miss the clever sitcoms, to be honest.

I've tried to find email addresses for our tv stations. They don't seem to have them. I guess they know how many complaints they'd get.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:45 pm
^^It would do you no good if you did.
0 Replies