Reducing the noise from neighbors dog by constructing wall?

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 01:00 am
Hi,
My house and neighbor's share a open space divided equally by single wall which is of 4 feet height.We stay in the first floor of our house. My neighbor keeps his dog in the open space and will run around the open space and bark like hell all day and all night. We are totally irritated and had our conversations with them and nothing seems to workout. So we have decided to construct a high wall of like 9 or 10 feet high and nearly close to the height of my first floor windows.
My question is by constructing a wall of 9 feet which is close to the height of the first floor, will it reduce the barking sound made by dog?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 823 • Replies: 9
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:39 am
@splashsk,
I'm trying to figure out where this wall is going. Inside your house? Into the common space? Somewhere else?

Since the open space is shared, you may need to get permission to erect the wall, or at least have a survey done in order to be sure you aren't encroaching on their property.

Also, have you tried calling the town where you live? There are noise ordinances pretty much everywhere. You have already talked to them (and yes, I know that telling the town isn't going to win you a friendship with them, but that already seems to be shot) to no avail. A wall is all well and good but you're right to be concerned that it might not do the trick. You might want to handle at least a part of the problem from the dog side of things.
engineer

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 06:11 am
@splashsk,
Wow, what overkill. You are going to build a 9' wall rather than taking other remedies like calling the city on your neighbor? Heck, they make devices that emit high pitched feedback (higher than people can hear) whenever it detects a bark. Have you thought of putting one of those on your side of the fence? It just seems like building a huge wall is an extreme reaction.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 07:20 am
@engineer,
I agree with both comments - I'd go to the city - usually there are laws/rules against constant/excessive noise or for a cheaper solution (only $80 on this website) than a large wall...

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/a/bark-control/?pk_campaign=Adwords-Bark-USA-ENG&pk_kwd=dog%20barking&gclid=CISD-NvE87ACFQff4AodSxZVhA

Or you could you spray the dog with a hose each time he barks or if you are really cruel - give him a shot of pepper spray.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 08:38 am
Most areas have codes for how high you can build a wall. What I am used to is 6 ft., only being able to surmount that in special cases for which you have to seek permission - or the city can order it removed.

I think even at nine it won't baffle the noise all that much.
Past that, if you are planning on adding five feet in wall height to your existing four, I am betting your present wall foundation isn't designed to take that addition.

Call the city.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:29 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I'm trying to figure out where this wall is going. Inside your house? Into the common space? Somewhere else?

I'd suggest building it around the dog. That would stop the barking ... eventually. Although I hear that doesn't work with cats.
Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:30 am
@joefromchicago,
Cats bark?
Ragman

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:56 am
@Setanta,
No, but they cat-ter-wall a bit!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 09:58 am
I love low humor (you know, cows telling jokes).
jespah

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2012 03:44 pm
@Setanta,
That's how I always knew, yanno, what's a metaphor.
0 Replies