Other peoples memories

gordy

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:18 pm
Hi all,
Years ago I had a couple of dreams that were really vivid,in fact if I was to take a lie detecter test I would possibly pass as having visited the areas in question.Thats how real they were.
The first one was a visit to Lake Tahoe in the 70s.I could see the water,boats cabins people and feel the sun on my arms.

The second one was also during the 70s,when people were customizing vans.I was laying down on the grass with friends,and there were some custom vans parked nearby.It was the same thing the colors,the heat,the nice summer feeling.

Now get this I was born and grew up in Ireland and have never been to Lake Tahoe and almost certainly wont be going.But I feel that I have been there.

I have never had dreams as real as those since.Although I do dream frequently and some are quite real.But also there have been quite a few instances of me remembering things I haven't done,if you know what I mean.

The question is:Whats going on?I'm not talking past lives or any spooky stuff here.I was alive in the 70s and the people in the dreams were my contempories. Are they just dreams, or stuff I've seen on tv,and the false memories just my brain messing about when I'm tired.Or do you think that it is possible that there is some one in that area or someplace who has a very close makeup to me and sometimes I remember their memories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 825 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rufio

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2004 05:25 pm
If you've never been to lake Tahoe, how do you know that's where it was? You probably heard the name somewhere and randomly associated it with one of your memories. That happens to me a lot in dreams.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 05:53 pm
Gordy,

I would say that you have had a revelation of sorts. Lake Tahoe was revealed to you.

God was revealed to Moses in the guise of a burning bush.

This I believe is called a "False Memory Syndrome".

It has been found to be the basis of many imagined sexual acts, some of which have progressed to the point of litigation.

I have had several in the course of the last fifty years. Most of them involved sexually attractive women. One of them involved a cousin of mine and it was so real (to me) that I was embarassed for years to even talk to her. Yet I knew it was false. (I was about fifteen years old at the time)

I also knew that Dolly Parton did not enter my bedroom a few years ago. Yet my body was convinced that she did.

There was a man of my acquaintance whose daughter (when about thirty years old) told him that he had taken indecent liberties with her when she was about thirteen. I don't think that it ever happened, my friend doesn't either. I suspect that this was an incident similar to that which you are discussing. As God was very real to Moses, thise particular actions of the mind are very real to the possesser of that mind.

Sometimes it's very hard to convince your "brain" that your mind is absolutely full of imagination. Or bull manure.

It would be interesting to take a lie detecter test on these subjects. Why don't you try it if the opportunity arises? Let us know.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 06:12 pm
Perhaps it was the drugs of the 70's. I used to have very lucid dreams when I went to sleep stoned.
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 12:28 am
Depends on if you want to ask a person geared more towards... philosophy... modern science... religon.... or astrology... lol
So, I introduce you to my five personalities:

Penelope the Philosopher: It is the work of your subconscious exercising it's interpersonal skills.

Scientist Sara: Did you eat anything out of the ordinary 48 hour prior? Do you take drugs on a regular basis? Does anyone else in your family suffer from this?

Sister Sondra: God is sending you a message, go to Tahoe and trust that He will reveal to you why he has sent for you.

Medium Melanie: In your past life, you were a hippie.

************************hehe********************************
Take your pick... but rest assured that it IS normal and happens to everyone in varying degrees. This is an age old Philosophical topic, which invites me to share with you one of my favorites:
Des Cartes, Meditation I

I must nevertheless here consider that I am a man, and that, consequently, I am in the habit of sleeping, and representing to myself in dreams those same things, or even sometimes others less probable, which the insane think are presented to them in their waking moments. How often have I dreamt that I was in these familiar circumstances, that I was dressed, and occupied this place by the fire, when I was lying undressed in bed? At the present moment, however, I certainly look upon this paper with eyes wide awake; the head which I now move is not asleep; I extend this hand consciously and with express purpose, and I perceive it; the occurrences in sleep are not so distinct as all this. But I cannot forget that, at other times I have been deceived in sleep by similar illusions; and, attentively considering those cases, I perceive so clearly that there exist no certain marks by which the state of waking can ever be distinguished from sleep, that I feel greatly astonished; and in amazement I almost persuade myself that I am now dreaming.
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:09 am
Yeah deep down I always knew it was my brain getting a bit mixed up with random stuff.It' just that,those particular dreams have stuck with me.

If God is communicating with me and wants me to go to lake Tahoe,or customize a van,I would appreciate some straight talking.I'm sure God knows how stupid I am when it comes to cryptic matters.

As for Dolly Parton and all that stuff.As a rule my brain doesn't usually let me have those sort of dreams,which is a shame as it's the one sort of dream I would enjoy.I did have a dream about my mother in law once, but thankfully it was just the once!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:30 am
I've always wanted to have a go at driving a bus. I've also got an image of myself driving a bus a short distance between two local areas, and stopping and getting out in fear that I'd be caught stealing it. To this day I don't know whether I had a really vivid dream, OR if in a drug induced haze (which is part of my own personal history)....................................................................

I stole a bus!
0 Replies

gordy

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 03:42 am
Dont worry skippy Will see that the bus gets back to it's owner
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 05:10 pm
Gordy,
Although you "know" it is your brain (or mind) getting all mixed up with "stuff" other people are not so sure that it is. This has historically caused a lot of problems for humans in general.
I hope you get a chance to play with a lie decteter. I'd kind of like to try one too, but it'll have to be cheap. Very Happy
0 Replies