Legal forms of state ID...

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 03:55 pm
Do driver's licenses hold the same weight as legal tender in t of their respective face value? I'll clarify, state driver's licenses are considered legit as forms of legal IDs. Help an individual access vaious federal buildings, state courts, etc....

What happens to one changes ones address (informs the state DMV of said change as per the regulations) but what happens to the legal weight of the state ID if the stated address on the ID is the p someone ast address annnd the DMV hasn't gotten around to sending out a new license with the new address). Can someone asking for a state ID refuse to accpet the old license as legal ID?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,238 • Replies: 11
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Irishk

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think you're issued some kind of official receipt stating the nature of the change, etc. and it has to be presented along with the old/out-dated license. At least that's what happened to me and they let me on the plane Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
someone from the state, or police?

or someone at walmart that has too much power for their panties?
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Do driver's licenses hold the same weight as legal tender in t of their respective face value? I'll clarify, state driver's licenses are considered legit as forms of legal IDs. Help an individual access vaious federal buildings, state courts, etc....

What happens to one changes ones address (informs the state DMV of said change as per the regulations) but what happens to the legal weight of the state ID if the stated address on the ID is the p someone ast address annnd the DMV hasn't gotten around to sending out a new license with the new address). Can someone asking for a state ID refuse to accpet the old license as legal ID?

Yes, they can refuse to accept the old license as legal ID. When both BBB and I (8 years later) moved from California to New Mexico, neither of us could tender local checks at some businesses until we had at least a temporary New Mexico driver's license. That temporary driver's license is the bridge that solves the transition problem from one address to another.

To obtain my NM license, I had to show several documents (rental agreement, utility bills, etc.) that proved my New Mexico residence and had to show our Social Security cards to prove we were citizens of the country.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:15 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

someone from the state, or police?

or someone at walmart that has too much power for their panties?

UPS and a package pickup at the UPS WAREHOUSE.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
did you offer to show them additional proof of address?

is it drugs or rare columbian parrots?

and you have the tracking info, yes?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:49 pm
@Rockhead,
Its complicated. I called UPS because they claimed to have tried to deliver to my apartment 3 times according to their emails this Saturday. They didn't leave a notice but the last email said they tried to do their last delivery by this Saturday.

I called today to find the address of the warehouse to see if I could pick the Amazon.com package. I was told that I needed a photo ID with the address on the package.

I told them I didn't have an updated photo ID nor that I get an electric bill nor landline phone bill to my name. Unfortunately, I got a little snippy on the second phone call trying to find out about picking up the package. Ironically I returned home after the phone call and found a "final attempt" notice (the first and only notice) on my apartment building's front door.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 04:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
hmmmmmmm.

I try to be very nice and humble until I have what I want from them, or all hope is lost.

even then, I'm careful. they keep a database that might make getting packages no fun for you...

can you just go renew your license, or is the no proof of address thing biting you there as well?

I've bumped into that.

good luck...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:01 pm
@Rockhead,
I changed my address with the DMV online prior to my move. I guess for future packages I can go the physical DMV and get an updated ID but my license is up for renewal in 2014 and it costs $80 each renewal.
Rockhead
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
not a renewal, a duplicate.

with the updated address...

(I know, every state is different and firked up in their own little laws and rules)
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:04 pm
@Rockhead,
I'll do that Wedsnesday. Thanks Rockhead.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2012 05:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
welcome.

thanks for the ribbon...

damned DMVs anyways.
0 Replies