Ebert's GREAT MOVIES, Part 8: "A Hard Day's Night"

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 05:43 pm
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0058182/dbscan220a.jpg

A new restoration on DVD has brought this film back into its own as a classic documentary style, musical adventure. Richard Lester is always an innovative director with a style as indelible as Woody Allen and Robert Altman. This movie is a lot of fun and the Fab Four proved they aren't just a rock-and-roll phenomena -- they truly performed in this film. Anyone wanting to make this a tribute to their talent and status as icons -- go for it!

Here's a link to Ebert's essay:

EBERT'S ESSAY
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,058 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Booman

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 06:14 pm
I'm remiss. I haven't seen this classic musical documentry. I know it's a classic because it seems like I've seen, it when I read Ebert's review. I've got a feeling when I see it, I'll have to keep reminding myself... They are not copying the Spice Girls movie! Confused
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
Every minute of this film was a joy to me and I bought the album on my way home, my first Beatles. In addition my first husband asked me to marry him that night!!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 06:28 pm
It's vice versa, of course -- Booman! The film has been used as a template for many following in it's footsteps.

The new DVD is a Godsend -- the showings on TV have been faded and this films should only be seen wide screen (you miss so much on pan and scan).
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 06:29 pm
Hey thanks for the heads LW up I am heading for Amazon.com now to order the DVD.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 06:29 pm
When I saw it I thought I was "way past the Beatles, man".
But I enjoyed the film throughly. It was fun fun fun.
More than a decade had passed, and yet it was so fresh, musically and cinematographically.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 06:51 pm
BTW, since you didn't have ol' Pete, in the poll, I had to settle for John. Laughing
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
I didn't see this one, L.W. I had the complete Beatles record collection at one time, but while I was taping a Beatles Marathon from the radio a very tragic event occurred. As a result, I always associate the Beatles with a sad time in my life. That's great that their movie has been restored on DVD.

John Lennon gets my vote.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:42 pm
I remember going to see this film when it first came out. That's the only way I've seen it -- on the big screen. I thought at the time -- and still do -- that it was one of the most innovative and delightful pieces of celluloid literature I had ever seen. It has almost a film noir quality, and really fine camerawork. I didn't buy the album on the way home, but very soon afterwards I did. Those LPs, alas, have gone the way of all vynil. I don't have a single Beatles record now in any form -- CD, tape or vynil.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 08:56 pm
I saw it and loved every minute of it.
It was so much MORE!!!!
Now, I'll read Ebert.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 09:54 pm
When my brother asked me what I thought of the Beatles I snorted. I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND didn't make it for me. Then I heard AND I LOVE HER. A week or so later I saw the movie at the Long Beach Naval Base. I fell in love with the Beatles and I will never tire of them or this film. I bought the DVD as soon as I saw it on sale.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 10:03 pm
Saw it in the theater when it came out and at the Fox Venice some years later.
Loved every minute of it both times. It changed movies...the speed, the camera freedom, the playfulness of the film changed our sense of how movies could look.

Loved it and I am sure I still would.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2002 11:02 pm
A bit of irony Edgar; I had a simular disdain for the Beatles, until I heard " I Wanna' hold Your Hand", as sung by Petula Clark, in a slow tempo, on a TV show. This alerted me to the fact that they weren't run -of the- mill tunesmiths. I started paying attention.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:59 am
It single handedly created the whole "Swingin´ London" fad that went from mid to late 60´s.Wacky plots,people running around for no apparent reason etc.
I saw it recently on video and was surprised to see that even "Matrix" had stolen an image:The helicopter with all the photographs falling at the end where the boys make their final getaway.
It appeared to me,nevertheless,to be extremely dated as a piece of cinema but the music!Ahhh I never tire of that album.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 07:12 am
For me, appreciation of this film varies with my frame of mind. When I am receptive I see it as a brilliant piece of work. When I am in a funk it just seems to drag. I loved it so the last viewing I might be wise to carry the memory and view it no more. But I know it ain't gonna happen that way.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:28 am
The film only seems dated because so much of the filming technique has been "borrowed" over the years. Again, seeing it in wide screen is essential as Lester uses every inch of the frame and the kinetic energy is literally cut in half with the pan-and-scan.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 11:28 am
Along with my DVD of Hard Days Night I bought the MaCartney 2002 World Tour DVD. Where oh where is that brown truck, I can hardly wait. Best thing is Amazon said it will come AFTER Chritmas so my holiday will be extended with a great gife coming during the gray and cold days of January.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 10:28 pm
LW, thank you for bringing back so many great memories.

For a few years before the Beatles, I had become bored with rock and listened almost exclusively to jazz or classical. Then along came the Beatles and I was hooked. Long Day's Night was the icing on the cake. I loved the joy and exuberance and the truly imaginative lyrics and rhythms, plus the Beatles playfulness and energy.

I will always associate Happy Just to Dance With You with the most romantic evening I ever had.

Off to Amazon.com for the dvd and for Ebert's book. I have loved the reviews you have included with each movie.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 06:41 pm
This movie has a special place in my heart. I was just entering my teen age years when the Beatles hit the American shores. When this movie came to town my friends and I were in full blown Beatlemania. We would buy a ticket for the first matinee on Saturday and stay for three shows. Then come back on Sunday and do it all over again.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 03:20 pm
I've always been a little indifferent to the Beatles, but a few years ago Mrs. Hazlitt read a book about them, then another and another. I don't know how many in all. Then we rented the movies, first and foremost "Hard Days Night." Next came the eight video documentery of their careers. In short, I live with a dedicated fan.

I guess "Hard Days Night" is a great movie like Ebert and Mrs. Hazlitt say it is. I'll say one thing, they have enthusiasm.

When I hear my dear wife humming "Will you still need me? Will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four?" I always hope she's thinking of me.
0 Replies